Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Pels receive permission to interview Alvin Gentry

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I mean I really just don't know.

I have never had a lot of trust in ownership or Demps with big decisions and this first step on the hunt is eroding my confidence further.

Someone sell me on Gentry? The BSS came off like a minimalist fluff piece derived because we all knew he was a name being thrown around.

I mean Thibs, Atkinson, Hoiberg, Miller, Bennett, Malone; Pretty much every name on the BSS coaching board is a better avenue then Gentry IMO.

I know I am the guy making the argument of choosing to accept the boat over the mystery box argument for Thibs. But going for Gentry is like settling on the mediocre classic car you aren't sure whether the engine has been rebuilt properly(though some promise it might have been) over the shiny boat or the mystery box that likely contains something as good and possibly much better then the mediocre car.

I just don't understand the fascination NBA franchises have with hiring failed coaches.
    He is just one candidate. There are others. As for failed coaches, you have to understand what rosters they inherited.

Because in a sea of candidates this is the guy you want to meet with first? Unless this is an elaborate ploy to drive down Chicago's bargaining position, which I deeply doubt, to me it means he was near the top of their list given the urgency with which we are seeking him out.

Like I said, I am already insanely skeptical of ownership and Demps because, frankly, I have not liked most of their bigger moves and mandates since they acquired this team. And this is a continuation of my frustration.

The one positive I am gleaning out of this is that Loomis is seemingly going to be very involved in the hiring process.
    Loomis is in CA so why not meet with him while he is there? They can't meet with Thibs yet and probably won't until Chicago decides what they want to do.

I mean I really just don't know.

I have never had a lot of trust in ownership or Demps with big decisions and this first step on the hunt is eroding my confidence further.

Someone sell me on Gentry? The BSS came off like a minimalist fluff piece derived because we all knew he was a name being thrown around.

I mean Thibs, Atkinson, Hoiberg, Miller, Bennett, Malone; Pretty much every name on the BSS coaching board is a better avenue then Gentry IMO.

I know I am the guy making the argument of choosing to accept the boat over the mystery box argument for Thibs. But going for Gentry is like settling on the mediocre classic car you aren't sure whether the engine has been rebuilt properly(though some promise it might have been) over the shiny boat or the mystery box that likely contains something as good and possibly much better then the mediocre car.

I just don't understand the fascination NBA franchises have with hiring failed coaches.
    We are simply meeting with the guy while we are already in the area. The best time to meet with him is probably now before they start playing games and before they reach the NBA finals where he will probably not interview with anyone solely concentrating on his job. I don't see what is wrong with that. Every coach you mentioned could also very well be next on the list to meet with. I would rather Dell look at him then not look at him. I'm not a big Gentry fan but he could have picked up a lot of things with Kerr and improve his coaching from his last stop where he was very close to a finals appearance with the first bit of talent he really ever had as a coach. You never know its possible if Gentry doesn't get the HC job he could take an assistant coaching job here giving him the best chance to move up the ladder and get another offer from someone else with our team having some success. I just don't see how interviewing Gentry wether our 1st, 4th, or last coaching interview is a bad thing.

What big decision has this ownership made for you not to trust them? You don't trust ownership yet see a positive with Loomis being involved when he is basically the decision maker for the ownership side with Benson really having nothing to do with it but trusting Loomis. Demps has made a couple of mistakes along with a bunch of great moves. Loomis has made some terrible decisions with the Saints along with great ones. The good decisions usually erase the fact the few bad ones ever occurred. Name me one GM in the history of the NBA that doesn't have a few mistakes on their resume I would like to know.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-18-2015 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    We are simply meeting with the guy while we are already in the area. The best time to meet with him is probably now before they start playing games and before they reach the NBA finals where he will probably not interview with anyone solely concentrating on his job. I don't see what is wrong with that. Every coach you mentioned could also very well be next on the list to meet with. I would rather Dell look at him then not look at him. I'm not a big Gentry fan but he could have picked up a lot of things with Kerr and improve his coaching from his last stop where he was very close to a finals appearance with the first bit of talent he really ever had as a coach. You never know its possible if Gentry doesn't get the HC job he could take an assistant coaching job here giving him the best chance to move up the ladder and get another offer from someone else with our team having some success. I just don't see how interviewing Gentry wether our 1st, 4th, or last coaching interview is a bad thing.

What big decision has this ownership made for you not to trust them? You don't trust ownership yet see a positive with Loomis being involved when he is basically the decision maker for the ownership side with Benson really having nothing to do with it but trusting Loomis. Demps has made a couple of mistakes along with a bunch of great moves. Loomis has made some terrible decisions with the Saints along with great ones. The good decisions usually erase the fact the few bad ones ever occurred. Name me one GM in the history of the NBA that doesn't have a few mistakes on their resume I would like to know.
    dell has shown in the past, that when he interviews someone, and travels to them its a done deal

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    dell has shown in the past, that when he interviews someone, and travels to them its a done deal
    God I {edited - veiled cursing not allowed} hope not.

Really? Your going to base this off of what? A FA signing ow 2? Who was a done deal in the past he has traveled to? How many times has he traveled that you have no idea about and done nothing?

Del has shown in the past that when Mickey Loomis is in town for an owners meeting in the same town that a head coaching candidate is coaching it's...
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Another thing like I said Dell is already in the area and this is one of the only windows he will even have a chance to interview Gentry. The Warriors are in one of the only downtimes they will have for the next couple of weeks. Gonna be tough to interview Gentry during the WC finals and if they advance near impossible to interview him during he championship. Dell is in California for something mandatory and is doing what he is suppose to do and interview any qualifying candidate which Gentry is wether you like him or not. I would be pretty disappointed if Dell didn't do something like this while he is in the area with one of the only times he will have the chance to.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Del has shown in the past that when Mickey Loomis is in town for an owners meeting in the same town that a head coaching candidate is coaching it's...
    A done deal! Did I solve the riddle?

Really? Your going to base this off of what? A FA signing ow 2? Who was a done deal in the past he has traveled to? How many times has he traveled that you have no idea about and done nothing?
    Think about it this way, do you really think dell needs to interview Gentry in person to really get a feel of what his about? Dell knows more about his styling of coaching than gentry does himself, and if he wanted to have a chat why wouldnt he do it over the phone or via. skype?? To make an impression.. does gentry need an impression, as an assistant coach you take any HC offer you get, i feel like the only reason he is travelling to gentry is because you need to sign the contract in person..
    I totally believe that gentry is our new coach, please prove me wrong, i do not want gentry as our first option

Think about it this way, do you really think dell needs to interview Gentry in person to really get a feel of what his about? Dell knows more about his styling of coaching than gentry does himself, and if he wanted to have a chat why wouldnt he do it over the phone or via. skype?? To make an impression.. does gentry need an impression, as an assistant coach you take any HC offer you get, i feel like the only reason he is travelling to gentry is because you need to sign the contract in person..
    I totally believe that gentry is our new coach, please prove me wrong, i do not want gentry as our first option
    So if I want a job, should I do an interview or just hope my linkedin and resume is enough?

Via Skype or Phone are you kidding me? I guess to hell with it why should Dell interview any coach in person. Makes 0 sense because he can just go watch YouTube videos of their interviews or look up their stats and coaching philosophy. Everything you are stating is nothing but assumptions and you totally believing he is our new coach because he is our first interview hahaha! What do you not get about Dell already being in the area and the Warriors coaches being unavailable for a couple of weeks because of the playoffs and finals? He is doing his job and interviewing a coach like he should. I don't know if you have a company and have ever interviewed someone or been a part of one but I doubt you would be to successful if you hired the first person every time. I guarantee you Dell doesn't go by your philosophy and hire the first person he interviews wether it is Gentry or not. He didn't go there for Gentry he is already there making it his first interview being his only opportunity to do so. I don't need to prove you wrong and it's obviously not possible to get through to you because you want to throw all of the facts out the window but assume that he flew to him and anytime Dell visits anyone it is a "done deal", but I guess he should do it via Skype or why not just text message with some emojis to let their emotions in the convo haha you have got to be kidding me... Thank God you aren't our GM.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-19-2015 at 01:19 AM.

Via Skype or Phone are you kidding me? I guess to hell with it why should Dell interview any coach in person. Makes 0 sense because he can just go watch YouTube videos of their interviews or look up their stats and coaching philosophy. Everything you are stating is nothing but assumptions and you totally believing he is our new coach because he is our first interview hahaha! What do you not get about Dell already being in the area and the Warriors coaches being unavailable for a couple of weeks because of the playoffs and finals? He is doing his job and interviewing a coach like he should. I don't know if you have a company and have ever interviewed someone or been a part of one but I doubt you would be to successful if you hired the first person every time. I guarantee you Dell doesn't go by your philosophy and hire the first person he interviews wether it is Gentry or not. He didn't go there for Gentry he is already there making it his first interview being his only opportunity to do so. I don't need to prove you wrong and it's obviously not possible to get through to you because you want to throw all of the facts out the window but assume that he flew to him and anytime Dell visits anyone it is a "done deal", but I guess he should do it via Skype or why not just text message with some emojis to let their emotions in the convo haha you have got to be kidding me... Thank God you aren't our GM.
    You do realise, in the world outside sport, people apply for that company, in this scenario we apply to the HC position, so its basically in reverse..
    Tell me what do you get out from an interview face to face? do you think they have time to go through the whole procedure on how gentry is going to make pelicans a better team? No thats impossible.
    When dell visited Tyreke years back for an 'interview' did you honestly think he wasn't going to offer him a contract?
    When Thunder visited Gators head coach for the vacant spot, did they offer the contract after the interview? No they had the contract ready in hand to give to him upfront.
    GMs know their man before hand, and one interview doesn't change their perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Find me one NBA player Hoiberg has coached at ISU.
    Close to NBA player is Royce White.
    I see him in our SL team if Hoiberg is our choice.
    Hoiberg is probably last person who might help him...

Apart from White there is no one.
    Maybe Niang in the future

Well this is just flat out wrong

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    So if I want a job, should I do an interview or just hope my linkedin and resume is enough?
    Head hunters

Man, the few days after Monty was fired, the conversations of who our next coach should be were so civil. Now, they have delved into familiar territory.

How about this- ALL of these guys know the game of basketball extremely well. They all know more X's and O's than all of us combined. It comes down to fit, luck, and roster in a lot of cases. I mean, was anybody here making the case for Kevin McHale as a great coach? How about Randy Wittman?

I have my favorites too, but you don't have to rip down other candidates just to elevate your favorites. Every guy Dell interviews in this process will know more about coaching than all of us combined
    @mcnamara247

so you fire monty and hire gentry.Brilliant

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I do not want Gentry. He is a bit older and has never really done anything as a HC.
    This x1000

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    So that literally happened once.....

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    So that literally happened once.....
    Has he ever hired a coach?

Quote Originally Posted by IVAN_NOH View Post
    so you fire monty and hire gentry.Brilliant
    One guy would actually use the roster as intended.

Here's the thing I don't get about people who look at record as what defines a coach, is that leads to this contradiction: Gentry didn't know how to coach in 97-98, but then magically learned the next year. Knew how to do it really well in 09-10, but then forgot again the next year.

I'm sorry, but its just not that simple. A coach isn't as important as we are making it seem IMO. Blatt is in the ECF, so is McHale. Wittman was a rebound or two away from getting there. Kerr had no experience and he is there. 90% of fans didn't know Budenholzer even one year ago.

The common denominator is that those coaches have rosters that fit their style. That was never happening with Monty and Dell. It could happen now.

The hivemind's been repeating Hoiberg's name for so long that any coach, even good ones, are going to be considered disappointing/bad hires

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    One guy would actually use the roster as intended.

Here's the thing I don't get about people who look at record as what defines a coach, is that leads to this contradiction: Gentry didn't know how to coach in 97-98, but then magically learned the next year. Knew how to do it really well in 09-10, but then forgot again the next year.

I'm sorry, but its just not that simple. A coach isn't as important as we are making it seem IMO. Blatt is in the ECF, so is McHale. Wittman was a rebound or two away from getting there. Kerr had no experience and he is there. 90% of fans didn't know Budenholzer even one year ago.

The common denominator is that those coaches have rosters that fit their style. That was never happening with Monty and Dell. It could happen now.
    This is a great post.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Thread Information