Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Pels receive permission to interview Alvin Gentry

"The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    He is trolling and has been trolling for weeks. Just ignore.
    No need to apologize cause Im right there with you. It seems its always something with this guy. Different day something different and starting ish. So, you aren't alone in noticing this type of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post

Its all just to make Chicago release Thibs tho lol

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    Its all just to make Chicago release Thibs tho lol
    I was thinking man we must really like him to go out there and not have him come here. I forgot they were in the middle of the playoffs though. Obviously he is on our list but I don't think this means at all he is even in the top 3 just doing what we should be and looking at all potential candidates. I wonder if it's possible Thibs stays around in Chicago.

I wish there was more interviews out there on who we are looking to even interview. It's aggravating being a fan the lack of information out there but probably not a bad thing. Would be nice to know if Hoiberg, Ollie, or other coaches were on our list of who we want to interview.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I wish there was more interviews out there on who we are looking to even interview. It's aggravating being a fan the lack of information out there but probably not a bad thing. Would be nice to know if Hoiberg, Ollie, or other coaches were on our list of who we want to interview.
    I disagree. Just let the process play out and welcome whoever is hired. If you knew more, I guarantee you would be even more frustrated. Trust me.

Ignorance is bliss, even if it doesn't feel like it. The only reason you want to know more is because you know some. You should wish you knew nothing!
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I wonder if it's possible Thibs stays around in Chicago.
    Depending on who you ask... they decided to fire Thibs a long time ago. They're trying to fleece a team out of a pick to get some kind of compensation. In time he'll be let go.

I disagree. Just let the process play out and welcome whoever is hired. If you knew more, I guarantee you would be even more frustrated. Trust me.

Ignorance is bliss, even if it doesn't feel like it. The only reason you want to know more is because you know some. You should wish you knew nothing!
    When is your piece coming out on here?

Yea you are probably right. I'm sure some of the names would drive me nuts. I'm gonna support whoever we get either way and trust Dell does the right thing and knows what he is doing. I have my favorites but I don't know as much as you or the front office about what coaches are the best choices and why. I'll just enjoy the process because this doesn't happen very often. I was a Monty supporter but always said if I had my choice between him or Dell it would be Dell.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-18-2015 at 10:45 PM.

But Loomis is in California for the owners meetings, so the meeting with Gentry is more killing two birds with one stone. I wouldn't say we "went to him".
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

So are you saying if we knew what you know, we would be disappointed about who the FO are targeting or are you just talking in general terms?

All this talk of money has me thinking of

Quote Originally Posted by saintsinNO View Post
    That's extremely misleading to phrase it that way. No run over 2.5 years, he's also taken over for other guys, and had some pretty subpar talent on his teams. He's done some really good things with the Clippers and Warrior in recent years.
    ...as a head coach?

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    But Loomis is in California for the owners meetings, so the meeting with Gentry is more killing two birds with one stone. I wouldn't say we "went to him".
    That is good to know then wasn't aware of the location the owners meetings are. I would rather him interview Gentry then not and turnover as many stones as he can for the best guy. Maybe we can lure him in as an assistant with our next coach. He mite get more credit here as an assistant with us having success but who knows.

For the 1000th time, anybody using record as a sole reason for or against a candidate is just lazy IMO. Dig deeper. You guys can start here if you want. Plus there is plenty more info on the inter webs. Anybody can just point to a record. Let's all step our games up and bring more to the table. With our collective efforts, we can post a lot on all these candidates

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...s-mike-malone/
    Sorry, I don't buy that argument for someone with as many chances and as many years in the NBA as Gentry. If he were younger, it would be easier to excuse his record. However, you cannot simply throw out his record as if it does not matter.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    So are you saying if we knew what you know, we would be disappointed about who the FO are targeting or are you just talking in general terms?
    No, I am saying that if you knew how many guys were actually possible, you would be ripping your hair out trying to predict the future.

I have stopped doing so. I will just inform where I can and trust the process

I know age is a big deal, but Kurt Loader is 70. FFT

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Sorry, I don't buy that argument for someone with as many chances and as many years in the NBA as Gentry. If he were younger, it would be easier to excuse his record. However, you cannot simply throw out his record as if it does not matter.
    Read again.

I said it is lazy to put a record down as the be all, end all. Of course it matters, but there is more to it.

Scott Brooks has a great record. Is that the end of the convo on him or is there more?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Read again.

I said it is lazy to put a record down as the be all, end all. Of course it matters, but there is more to it.

Scott Brooks has a great record. Is that the end of the convo on him or is there more?
    It's the same with me and Les Miles. Different sport, same issue.

I just can't believe our first stop is Gentry. I honestly am still in disbelief.

Why? I mean this is exactly the type of low hanging fruit coach this team has no reason to pursue when they have the single best up and coming player in the league.

The guy has had his chances. Are there any head coaches in this league that have failed hard 3 times and then turned into coaching studs?

To me this is riskier then taking on an unproven coach because you are literally expecting a guy who has been a proven failure at that level to somehow turn it around at age 60.

If you can honestly tell me you have not been trolling, I will apologize.

Disagreements are cool, and even wanted. But it seems like you have been provoking lately. If I am wrong, I am sorry
    his the modern day dethrone.. you know drummond is better than davis?

In terms of gentry, i hope we seek other options and don't straight away give him the offer, his coaching record isn't great and his already been fired twice, how much can a guys coaching ability improve within 4 years? I mean for a rookie coach yes.. but a veteran? Plus you can't integrate GSW system with our system, completely different players and playing style

I mean I really just don't know.

I have never had a lot of trust in ownership or Demps with big decisions and this first step on the hunt is eroding my confidence further.

Someone sell me on Gentry? The BSS came off like a minimalist fluff piece derived because we all knew he was a name being thrown around.

I mean Thibs, Atkinson, Hoiberg, Miller, Bennett, Malone; Pretty much every name on the BSS coaching board is a better avenue then Gentry IMO.

I know I am the guy making the argument of choosing to accept the boat over the mystery box argument for Thibs. But going for Gentry is like settling on the mediocre classic car you aren't sure whether the engine has been rebuilt properly(though some promise it might have been) over the shiny boat or the mystery box that likely contains something as good and possibly much better then the mediocre car.

I just don't understand the fascination NBA franchises have with hiring failed coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I mean I really just don't know.

I have never had a lot of trust in ownership or Demps with big decisions and this first step on the hunt is eroding my confidence further.

Someone sell me on Gentry? The BSS came off like a minimalist fluff piece derived because we all knew he was a name being thrown around.

I mean Thibs, Atkinson, Hoiberg, Miller, Bennett, Malone; Pretty much every name on the BSS coaching board is a better avenue then Gentry IMO.

I know I am the guy making the argument of choosing to accept the boat over the mystery box argument for Thibs. But going for Gentry is like settling on the mediocre classic car you aren't sure whether the engine has been rebuilt properly(though some promise it might have been) over the shiny boat or the mystery box that likely contains something as good and possibly much better then the mediocre car.

I just don't understand the fascination NBA franchises have with hiring failed coaches.
    why are you getting so worked up over them meeting with him? nothing guarantees he gets the job. It would be silly of Dell not to meet with all interested parties.

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    why are you getting so worked up over them meeting with him? nothing guarantees he gets the job. It would be silly of Dell not to meet with all interested parties.
    Because in a sea of candidates this is the guy you want to meet with first? Unless this is an elaborate ploy to drive down Chicago's bargaining position, which I deeply doubt, to me it means he was near the top of their list given the urgency with which we are seeking him out.

Like I said, I am already insanely skeptical of ownership and Demps because, frankly, I have not liked most of their bigger moves and mandates since they acquired this team. And this is a continuation of my frustration.

The one positive I am gleaning out of this is that Loomis is seemingly going to be very involved in the hiring process.

Thread Information