Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Pels receive permission to interview Alvin Gentry

Quote Originally Posted by IVAN_NOH View Post
    thibs is an upgrade, JVG is an upgrade, cal is an upgrade.Gentry is a lateral move IMO.
    How can you consider Gentry a lateral move and Cal a upgrade? What has Cal done in the NBA to be considered an upgrade? I will support whomever is hired but I prefer neither.

Quote Originally Posted by 23speedkillz View Post
    How can you consider Gentry a lateral move and Cal a upgrade? What has Cal done in the NBA to be considered an upgrade? I will support whomever is hired but I prefer neither.
    Exactly lol. Let's dismiss Cals collasal failure in the NBA as a HC but condem the other candidate for his losing seasons. BUT he can recruit!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    Exactly lol. Let's dismiss Cals collasal failure in the NBA as a HC but condem the other candidate for his losing seasons. BUT he can recruit!!!!!
    I'm all for coach Cal but I have to agree 100%. Just shows that we want who we want.

Quote Originally Posted by 23speedkillz View Post
    Well I see it like as a double move.As we hire a good coach, we are making a good start on keeping AD.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Lets buyout Shaka Smart @ Texas !

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nba/la...125-story.html

Here is a quote from Gentry talking about AD back in Jan. Makes you think he might have a grand plan for AD that may appeal to the front office. Full article in the link:

"I think he's the best player in the game," said Golden State associate head coach Alvin Gentry. He watched Davis put up a dazzling stat line of 30 points, 15 rebounds, three blocks, three assists and two steals in his only game against the Warriors this season.

"There is nobody in the league I would trade him for. He's so talented that it's scary. To me, if you were starting your team today, he would be your No. 1 choice in the NBA," Gentry said.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Pelly View Post
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/nba/la...125-story.html

Here is a quote from Gentry talking about AD back in Jan. Makes you think he might have a grand plan for AD that may appeal to the front office. Full article in the link:

"I think he's the best player in the game," said Golden State associate head coach Alvin Gentry. He watched Davis put up a dazzling stat line of 30 points, 15 rebounds, three blocks, three assists and two steals in his only game against the Warriors this season.

"There is nobody in the league I would trade him for. He's so talented that it's scary. To me, if you were starting your team today, he would be your No. 1 choice in the NBA," Gentry said.
    Probably 75% of assistant coach's feel the same way.

Obviously he is not available anymore but how high would Shaka Smart be on yalls list? I know there were a couple of people that really liked him
    Welcome to be here

Two tweetes of Jordan Schultz:

1. Being told Alvin Gentry is making calls about putting together a staff in New Orleans. Common for both sides to get a sense of that.
    2. Being told that the Lakers will be pursuing Tom Thibodeau. Byron Scott has just the one year left. Lakers would be paying four head coaches.

Based on no 2 I am not sure how reliable is no 1

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    Two tweetes of Jordan Schultz:

1. Being told Alvin Gentry is making calls about putting together a staff in New Orleans. Common for both sides to get a sense of that.
    2. Being told that the Lakers will be pursuing Tom Thibodeau. Byron Scott has just the one year left. Lakers would be paying four head coaches.

Based on no 2 I am not sure how reliable is no 1
    I sure hope things have not gotten that serious with Gentry.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I sure hope things have not gotten that serious with Gentry.
    O man I hope not.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Whenever something is leaked, you to have to evaluate who stands to gain the most.

The Pels have the hottest job available and no less than 3 viable candidates are still coaching their teams. The Pels have no incentive, yet, to start playing favorites in the media and cooling the interest before they can vet their list. Meanwhile, Gentry looks like a hot commodity by flirting with us. Not saying the feeling isn't mutual, but theres no way the team is just gonna steamroll through the process and zero in on Gentry so soon. The reasonable explanation is that the first interview went well and Gentry was told to be prepared to talk about what his staff would look like for interview #2.

I think it is very possible. Here is how I think the interviews end:

Dell: Alright, well it was great talking to you. We are going to talk to a bunch of people and then narrow it down. We're going to bring people in for a 2nd interview. For that, if you can get me an idea of what your staff would look like should you get the job, that would be great.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Whenever something is leaked, you to have to evaluate who stands to gain the most.

The Pels have the hottest job available and no less than 3 viable candidates are still coaching their teams. The Pels have no incentive, yet, to start playing favorites in the media and cooling the interest before they can vet their list. Meanwhile, Gentry looks like a hot commodity by flirting with us. Not saying the feeling isn't mutual, but theres no way the team is just gonna steamroll through the process and zero in on Gentry so soon. The reasonable explanation is that the first interview went well and Gentry was told to be prepared to talk about what his staff would look like for interview #2.
    A voice of reason, thank you sir

So hadn't seen any discussion on it, but Round 1 results came out for the BSS Coach Tournament.
    Article Here

While some obvious winners, interesting to see a few of the closer ones - gentry v malone and udoka v silas, and even some I was expecting to be a blowout that weren't comparatively to other winners. I thought Hoiberg with the high level of discussion and vocal supporters would have won by a stronger margin.

Round two has also started with Miller v Hoiberg here/

D'antoni had a higher percentage than lue, now THAT'S surprising thanks for the links man

There are some funny tweets (Kyler from Basketball Insiders f.e.) - "Gentry looks like the frontrunner for the job"

It is like in GoT - "You know nothing'.

It will look funny when Dell will call the press conference and introduce new coach not from the list of names mentioned officially...

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    So hadn't seen any discussion on it, but Round 1 results came out for the BSS Coach Tournament.
    Article Here

While some obvious winners, interesting to see a few of the closer ones - gentry v malone and udoka v silas, and even some I was expecting to be a blowout that weren't comparatively to other winners. I thought Hoiberg with the high level of discussion and vocal supporters would have won by a stronger margin.

Round two has also started with Miller v Hoiberg here/
    Yeah, and in round two we are going to add potential rosters into the mix - as in, what kind of rosters each coach would ideally try to build for their style.

Should be fun

So Gentry is the only name that has surfaced that we've talked to already and he's forming his staff ... he must be the guy! NOT!

That's not how these things work people

Thread Information