Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Report: Fred Hoiberg is Bulls' top choice if team, Thibodeau part ways

Rumor Report: Fred Hoiberg is Bulls' top choice if team, Thibodeau part ways

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/05/15/bul...oaching-rumors

Lot of talk on here of people wanting Fred Hoiberg as the new head coach, but (with an unbiased look) given the choice, would he choose the Bulls over the Pelicans based on market/franchise success? Could AD hold that much weight in getting him here? Looking at both rosters which would you choose?

Of course this all comes down to if he'd actually leave Iowa State or if Dell is even considering him for the job.

Something I've been wondering:

The Bulls want to play hardball with Thibodeau and try to get assets for him. They also want Hoiberg. Could we force the Bulls hand by making a hard run at Hoiberg while they're tied up in dangling Thibodeau?

Quote Originally Posted by DaBrow View Post
    http://www.si.com/nba/2015/05/15/bul...oaching-rumors

Lot of talk on here of people wanting Fred Hoiberg as the new head coach, but (with an unbiased look) given the choice, would he choose the Bulls over the Pelicans based on market/franchise success? Could AD hold that much weight in getting him here? Looking at both rosters which would you choose?

Of course this all comes down to if he'd actually leave Iowa State or if Dell is even considering him for the job.
    He would choose Chicago because of his connections there. If it was just about the better coaching gig, it's no contest IMO. But he has a comfort level with their GM.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    Something I've been wondering:

The Bulls want to play hardball with Thibodeau and try to get assets for him. They also want Hoiberg. Could we force the Bulls hand by making a hard run at Hoiberg while they're tied up in dangling Thibodeau?
    Bulls have no leverage. Everybody knows what's coming. I can't imagine they get a real pick for him. Maybe a 2nd or option to swap 2nd, something like that. But they have no leverage here on any level

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Bulls have no leverage. Everybody knows what's coming. I can't imagine they get a real pick for him. Maybe a 2nd or option to swap 2nd, something like that. But they have no leverage here on any level
    The only leverage they might be able to pull is if they can pit Orlando vs. New Orleans and ship him to the highest bidder. If they elected to go that route, what leverage does Thibodeau have?

The way Chicago and San Fran had treated their coaches as of late, regardless of market success why would anyone go there after seeing that. Both teams in their respective leagues had both had long periods of futility and then they run these guys off due to political reasons after bringing their teams back to being elite.

I mean I guess you can say the same thing about us and Monty but I think its widely seen as we got in due to luck of OKCs injuries.

The only leverage they might be able to pull is if they can pit Orlando vs. New Orleans and ship him to the highest bidder. If they elected to go that route, what leverage does Thibodeau have?
    Thibs has all the leverage. He decides who he wants to sign a contract with.

Would never work that way. This will have to agree to the team he wants to go to first (if Orlando and NOLA are both interested)

If Chicago tries to ship him to the highest bidder and no one bites they run the risk of being stuck with that guy. Are they willing to keep Thibs because they cant get compensation for him? Doubt it, they seem very done with him.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaPride View Post
    If Chicago tries to ship him to the highest bidder and no one bites they run the risk of being stuck with that guy. Are they willing to keep Thibs because they cant get compensation for him? Doubt it, they seem very done with him.
    Never underestimate a cheap billionaire owner
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Clearly, Thibodeau will be let go if the Bulls can't get anything for him. The question really is, how long will the Bulls be able to hold out? Also, we're going on the assumption that the Pelicans really are interested in Thibodeau, which we haven't gotten from a Pelicans source, yet. It'll be interesting to see how long the Bulls go before they just cut their losses.

Lets go Wizards so we can get a Kenny Atkinson interview soon!

Deja vu. The Bulls replaced Phil Jackson with an Iowa State coach in '98.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    Lets go Wizards so we can get a Kenny Atkinson interview soon!
    Agree +1

Remember last year Kerr had the connection to Phil, in a weak Eastern Conference, and everyone thought he would pick NYC.

The team with more talent and a better situation won out.

While the talent gap isn't as big between us and the Bulls I do think we have a better situation.

My biggest concern is this is happening a month after him having open heart surgery. From a stress standpoint he might choose to stay another year at the College level just to let his body recoup.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Remember last year Kerr had the connection to Phil, in a weak Eastern Conference, and everyone thought he would pick NYC.

The team with more talent and a better situation won out.

While the talent gap isn't as big between us and the Bulls I do think we have a better situation.

My biggest concern is this is happening a month after him having open heart surgery. From a stress standpoint he might choose to stay another year at the College level just to let his body recoup.
    Have thought about this, but its not the same IMO.

Knicks were obviously rebuilding with no real talent and GS had a loaded roster. These two situations are much close. Yes, Pels have potential to win, but Bulls have won consistently lately.

Knicks job was a D, Warriors was an A-

Bulls is a B+, ours is an A-

It's a LOT closer, so friendship/connections might win out. Also, location. A big reason Kerr took that job was because he also wanted to be out West. Maybe Hoiberg likes the Midwest.

I think Kerr's family was on the west coast too (either Phoenix or Cali) and that also played a part in his decision to go to Golden St

Have thought about this, but its not the same IMO.

Knicks were obviously rebuilding with no real talent and GS had a loaded roster. These two situations are much close. Yes, Pels have potential to win, but Bulls have won consistently lately.

Knicks job was a D, Warriors was an A-

Bulls is a B+, ours is an A-

It's a LOT closer, so friendship/connections might win out. Also, location. A big reason Kerr took that job was because he also wanted to be out West. Maybe Hoiberg likes the Midwest.
    Yeah. I acknowledged that the gap between our two franchises is much closer than the Knicks vs. GSW.

I think it's also fair to say that Kerr's relationship with Phil was much closer than Hoiberg's is to Chi too.

My main point however is that I am far more concerned that he will stay coaching college this year than him choosing Chicago because of the timing of his surgery.

Chicago is clearly a threat because of the connection but that doesn't worry me as much as his surgery since we have seen someone very recently choose what they felt was a better fit over a connection.

He would choose Chicago because of his connections there. If it was just about the better coaching gig, it's no contest IMO. But he has a comfort level with their GM.
    So you think a comfort level is more important that a better team?

The better team allows you to keep your job. Being "comfortable" with the GM just makes it that much stranger when he has to fire your ***.

Hopefully we will get an answer to this question , sooner rather than later.

The big market of Chicago also comes with much bigger stress as well. Someone with a heart condition may highly value stress levels.....

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Ah. Such good points being bandied back and forth.

Moto.

Do the Wikipedias know something that we don't?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Hoiberg

/I'll hang up and listen
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 05-15-2015 at 06:37 PM.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Do the Wikipedias know something that we don't?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Hoiberg

/I'll hang up and listen
    Looks pretty solid but maybe someone changed something, and its been changed back. What did you see? All he has now is his Iowa St stuff

It said he was the coach of the Bulls. I am on my phone heading home, so I can't quite do a screen grab.

Bulls fan jumpin the gun and changed the wiki page. They be trollin.

Yea the Wiki page for the Bulls also got hacked last night and had Lebron James listed as the owner. I wouldn't put much into what Wiki is saying right now but possible.

Thread Information