Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: An Early Look at the Potential Head Coach Candidates

I've read a lot about hoiberg's offense, but very little about his defense. Is it good? Is it sound? Is it acceptable? Is it bad? Meh? Horrifying? Painstakingly appalling?

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/notebook?id...14&src=desktop
    Article from ESPN ranked as 15th best coach

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles...ach-in-america
    Article from Bleacher Report calling Hoiberg the hottest coach in America

Both amazing articles with the second one being a longer read going through Hoibergs entire life but a very good read. Only warning I have for reading it is you will most likely be very disappointed if we don't hire him.

No doubt and my #1 choice as the best fit for our Pelicans is Fred Hoiberg. I never really looked into him when Mac referred him a while back but have now. I think Dell gets some input from Loomis on how he found Payton giving Dell the go for a similiar route not forcing him to land an experienced coach. This gives Dell the chance and confidence to find and pick his coach wether experienced or not. Payton and Hoiberg were both young with exciting innovative offenses and no experience. If we get a good defensive coach and staff we could have one hell of a team and fun one to watch. I have read everything I can find on the guy and he just seems like a perfect fit who would be my pick after looking more into him. Seems like he is destined for one of two teams between us and the Bulls.

Hoiberg is exactly what everyone here has wanted. He is someone studying all teams and taking plays down implementing things he likes into his offense. Likes to move the ball with all of his players while shying away from the bad mid range shots taking 3 pointers and shots at the rim. Something Monty never seemed to be able to do. Takes advice from his assistants and likes to rely on a good staff he puts together. He seems to be very similiar to Kerr being a former player to a front office position while always planning and studying the game from the outside to be a coach one day. The difference between the two is Hoiberg had 4 seasons of coaching to learn what works and how to run a team being a HC just on a lower level. Both play styles and managing the team with staff seem to be very similiar.
    Glad to see some are starting to become as obsessed with Hoiberg as I have been. But you are right, the more you learn about him, the more disappointed you will be if we don't land him
    @mcnamara247

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    Are You surprised? One year ago nobody knows WTF Blatt is.
    People were surprised that Italian guy is coming to San Antonio to help Pop.

This is how it works. Only international knowledge is connected with draft talents (like Saric).

Heck, one year ago almost nobody knows who Carroll was...

I can see an European coach or assistant for us, because of the DD European connections. As well as we will have in Summer League some guys who were playing in Europe.

Obradovic with his expression might be interesting, but I do not think he fits Dell profile...
    Yup, he will be too strong for Dell but would be interesting to see the improvements of AD,Withey, Babbitt, Reke, Dante under his reign. Did you see what happened to Bjelica and one-time NBA flops Jan Vesely&Andrew Goudelock when he coached. Anyway, the reports says he made an agreement for 2 years extension to his contract.

But having Ettore from the spurs would be a big steal. It is also unlikely because he will be heavy for a young GM who wants to create his own way. Can you imagine Messina-Demps meeting? I am sure Ettore would grill Dell harshly.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    How do Hoiberg's teams defend?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    How do Hoiberg's teams defend?
    With effort and intelligence, but they are undersized so the metrics aren't great.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I am at the point where I am fine with anybody but Mark Jackson.

If it's Holberg, I will be jumping for joy. Anybody else, I will be fine with and just let it play out. But please god, no Mark Jackson.
    I've seen you mention this in a couple of different places. I would love to hear a little more about what sets Mark Jackson apart as a definite "do not want" guy for you? Not suggesting he'd be a good hire, but I'm kind of surprised he's the ONLY guy you feel this way about. What do you see there?

I choose Thibs, because he is the only one I know
    Please visit http://playbal.blogspot.com/ to read my articles

Banned
    I think Sean Miller would be a great NBA coach.

Quote Originally Posted by odine View Post
    I choose Thibs, because he is the only one I know
    I agree

Sarcasm off
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    I've seen you mention this in a couple of different places. I would love to hear a little more about what sets Mark Jackson apart as a definite "do not want" guy for you? Not suggesting he'd be a good hire, but I'm kind of surprised he's the ONLY guy you feel this way about. What do you see there?
    I have learned this is pointless to discuss because those who don't agree won't have an open mind, and most already agree. I would rather just focus on the guys I like right now

I have learned this is pointless to discuss because those who don't agree won't have an open mind, and most already agree. I would rather just focus on the guys I like right now
    This is what's awesome about forums. We're all geniuses and everybody else's opinions are wrong. When we like a guy, we totally ignore that person's short comings and only boast their positives. Then we get tunnel vision making any other suggestion null and void. With that said, I too am interested in why M. Jackson is a total no-go but you're open to a college coach with no experience or a retread like Malone or Brooks? I'm not saying those are your guys but just asking in general.

Well, I was simply interested in educating myself on why he wouldn't be a good fit. Not looking to start a forum war.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    Well, I was simply interested in educating myself on why he wouldn't be a good fit. Not looking to start a forum war.
    I get it, but it often turns into the latter.

Long story short, he shares many of the same philosophies as Monty without offensive sets or out of timeout plays that are as creative as Monty. He yells more, which looks good on TV and fans like, but he also rubs people the wrong way in ownership and on his staff.

He would be, at best, a lateral move. And more likely, a backwards one.

Rookie
    I get it, but it often turns into the latter.

Long story short, he shares many of the same philosophies as Monty without offensive sets or out of timeout plays that are as creative as Monty. He yells more, which looks good on TV and fans like, but he also rubs people the wrong way in ownership and on his staff.

He would be, at best, a lateral move. And more likely, a backwards one.
    1+

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    This is what's awesome about forums. We're all geniuses and everybody else's opinions are wrong. When we like a guy, we totally ignore that person's short comings and only boast their positives. Then we get tunnel vision making any other suggestion null and void. With that said, I too am interested in why M. Jackson is a total no-go but you're open to a college coach with no experience or a retread like Malone or Brooks? I'm not saying those are your guys but just asking in general.
    I think most coaches fall into gray, while most fans try to paint them as black or white. Either they are the reason a team wins or the reason they lose. In my opinion, only 3-4 coaches really make a major difference in a positive direction and only 3-4 in a negative. The other 22-24 are right in the middle, doing as much good as harm and it really is all about whether the players are on that night.

I think Holberg, and maybe Atkinson and Miller, have a shot at being in that top group. Not likely, but if any coach were(is) likely, he is with a team right now (Pop, Carlisle, maybe Doc). I think Jackson is the only one who has the potential of poisoning the well. Not saying he will, just that he has the potential.

Everybody else, I think they fall somewhere in the middle and it will depend on luck, the personnel they get, health, etc. So I won't be excited or upset either way. I will just hope for the best and evaluate once I have something to evaluate.

I think most coaches fall into gray, while most fans try to paint them as black or white. Either they are the reason a team wins or the reason they lose. In my opinion, only 3-4 coaches really make a major difference in a positive direction and only 3-4 in a negative. The other 22-24 are right in the middle, doing as much good as harm and it really is all about whether the players are on that night.

I think Holberg, and maybe Atkinson and Miller, have a shot at being in that top group. Not likely, but if any coach were(is) likely, he is with a team right now (Pop, Carlisle, maybe Doc). I think Jackson is the only one who has the potential of poisoning the well. Not saying he will, just that he has the potential.

Everybody else, I think they fall somewhere in the middle and it will depend on luck, the personnel they get, health, etc. So I won't be excited or upset either way. I will just hope for the best and evaluate once I have something to evaluate.
    I think you're right in this idea for in the game coaching, this might explain why you can games like Soccer/Football where the coach is not calling any plays or timeouts for his team (well not as managed as much as basketball anyway).

I would say in our case though it would have a reasonably significant impact depending on the coach, because that would lead to personnel change and different utillisation of the players, and of the implications/complications with our FO in general
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

I have a similar concern in this regard for Tom Thibodeau, probably in a different meaning than you meant it. Perhaps the Chicago front office is really just that bad, but anytime you have a "successful" coach pushed out because the relationship is that bad, it's a red flag for me. I also worry about him pushing our fragile players so hard that they're never on the court at the end of the year. Of course, I'm only going by what I hear, and I would certainly hope Thibodeau would work out if he were hired, but he has a high bust potential to me.

I will literally be alright with anyone but Marc Jackson... Please keep him away from this team.

My personal top 5 five
    1)Ettore Messina
    2)Tom Thibs
    3)Kenny Atkinson
    4)Sean Miller
    5)Jeff Van Gundy

People forget one thing when it concerns his staff. He wasn't allowed to pick his own assistants. Scalabrine and all those guys weren't his guys. I personally think that Jackson will be the Cavs coach eventually but would he be different with his own staff? People praise Kerr for his assistants but Jackson was never afforded the same luxury. If I had a choice in coaches, I'd go with Larry Brown. Great coach just not stable.

I've been on the Hoiberg bandwagon for almost a year now. I really, really want him to be the next coach of the Pels. I just don't see it though. Not after the heart surgery and where he is right now. He will eventually leave ISU but I think he holds out a bit longer.

I have no inside sources or anything, but I'm pretty convinced it will be Kenny Atkinson or Thibs without an outside shot of Sean Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by CMS1717 View Post
    Just curious, why the name Mark Few isn't coming up more. What he does with the talent pool he gets is remarkable. What is your take on him?
    MM, could you please give me your opinion of this guy from Gonzaga? I asked on #65 of this tread but apparently you didn't see

Quote Originally Posted by CMS1717 View Post
    MM, could you please give me your opinion of this guy from Gonzaga? I asked on #65 of this tread but apparently you didn't see
    I am a fan of him and his philosophies, but the IQ of our guards scare me when it comes to running his system. There is a LOT of read and react in his system and I just don't trust a guy like Tyreke at this point. Now, if we change some personnel, I would be a big fan. He really preaches the fundamentals and puts his guys in position to succeed.

I would be a fan, but I never got the vibe that he was dying to go to the pros.

I am a fan of him and his philosophies, but the IQ of our guards scare me when it comes to running his system. There is a LOT of read and react in his system and I just don't trust a guy like Tyreke at this point. Now, if we change some personnel, I would be a big fan. He really preaches the fundamentals and puts his guys in position to succeed.

If I'm reading his bio right, he's got ZERO pro experience. I'm not sure I'd be willing to take that big of a risk with this team. Would be all for giving him a job as an assistant, but I'd want someone who's at least been an assistant in the pros for this job.

I concur when it comes to TYREKE, but if this is a new day, and a few pieces are moved, I believe this guy would be great. Likewise, he may not want to move, but I can't comprehend how any basketball coach wouldn't want the chance to coach AD. He hasn't ever coached at the pro level, but I'm not convinced that isn't a good thing. Just my opinion!!

Hoiberg will be coaching the Bulls almost certainly. Thibs would be interesting for the Pelicans. I'd like to see that.

Thread Information