Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: An Early Look at the Potential Head Coach Candidates

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I mean, from my point of view, 100%. If I thought anybody else could get the job, I would have put them on the list.

Now, maybe something crazy I can't predict happens. Maybe Carlisle hated how Dallas got Rondo after he was against it and demands to leave. But outside of something crazy happening, I fully expect it to be one of those guys. And more specifically after talking to people, one of the 6 on Dell's list.
    So you are hearing that Dell will be the one to choose our next HC, instead of Loomis?

If so, that's very good news.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    So you are hearing that Dell will be the one to choose our next HC, instead of Loomis?

If so, that's very good news.
    Yes. Loomis is there to make sure Dell's search is done with thoroughness and an open mind, but it is Dell's call. Made me happy as well.
    @mcnamara247

Yes. Loomis is there to make sure Dell's search is done with thoroughness and an open mind, but it is Dell's call. Made me happy as well.
    Since that's the case, I'm going to assume it was Dell's call to fire Monty as well. Did you get any word on why Mickey delivered the news, instead of Dell?

Was not Dell's call. I have told you guys for months now that Dell would fire him if he could. But that was Loomis call to make. He finally sided with Dell. Took long enough IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    Hmm last sentence is interesting. I've narrowed it down to Malone or Atkinson.
    I am at the point where I am fine with anybody but Mark Jackson.

If it's Holberg, I will be jumping for joy. Anybody else, I will be fine with and just let it play out. But please god, no Mark Jackson.

Monty mentioned that he viewed Loomis as his direct report, so would make sense for Loomis to be the one to deliver the news to him.

An Early Look at the Potential Head Coach Candidates

I am at the point where I am fine with anybody but Mark Jackson.

If it's Holberg, I will be jumping for joy. Anybody else, I will be fine with and just let it play out. But please god, no Mark Jackson.
    I'd like to go with Hoiberg also because i have been screaming ever since we got Tyreke and Davis to run more. Would be a fun offense to watch and we would wear teams out. You think we would pay that $500,000 buyout though?
    Last edited by Sleeper; 05-13-2015 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    I'd like to go with Hoiberg also because i have been screaming ever since we got Tyreke and Davis to run more. Would be a fun offense to watch and we would wear teams out. You think we would pay that $500,000 buyout though?
    That's chicken feed for a buyout to land a coach in the NBA.

This year, Arizona was 3rd in three-pointers made, 1st in FTA's, and 3rd in assists.

Not bad. Sean Miller would be very intriguing too

Quote Originally Posted by Spec3333 View Post
    That's chicken feed for a buyout to land a coach in the NBA.
    We paid half that for Luke freakin Babbitt. Yeah, we would pay that.

Hoiberg has me intrigued now lol..MM when do we think we start seeing some smoke on a few names that are serious candidates?

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    Hoiberg has me intrigued now lol..MM when do we think we start seeing some smoke on a few names that are serious candidates?
    All leaks will come from the agents of the coaches who are interested, not from anyone inside the Pels. So, I might take some of them with a grain of salt as people try to get their names out there.

Was not Dell's call. I have told you guys for months now that Dell would fire him if he could. But that was Loomis call to make. He finally sided with Dell. Took long enough IMO
    Can u see Dell choosing Thibs MM? The media (ESPN) are so sure that their sources are saying Thibs is our guy.
    Last edited by Silverfoxx; 05-13-2015 at 10:18 PM.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

This part of an article from USA Today does get me thinking about what they may be leaning toward:

Loomis and Demps declined to outline specific qualities, accomplishments or experience they want the next coach to have. Demps only said that he hopes many top coaches will be interested in the chance to coach a talented young roster led by a budding superstar in Davis.
    Specifically hoping top coaches will want to come coach Davis could mean as little as saying he hopes the best candidates come forward or could be as telling as he is interested in finding an already established top coach to come to New Orleans. Heck I'm sure there is 1 or 2 other interpretations we could draw from it as well including USA Today misquoting him.

I have always said that this firing only really makes sense to me if you are looking for a clear upgrade so that is why I have always leaned toward Thibs or a successful college guy like a Hoiberg or Cal.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 05-13-2015 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Can u see Dell choosing This MM? The media (ESPN) are so sure that their sources are saying Thibs is our guy.
    Correction. They are saying Thibs is interested. Isn't that what you would leak if you were his agent?

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    This part of an article from USA Today does get me thinking about what they may be leaning toward:

Specifically hoping top coaches will want to come coach Davis could mean as little as saying he hopes the best candidates come forward or could be as telling as he is interested in finding an already established top coach to come to New Orleans.
    Top coaches doesn't necessarily mean top names. Or top NBA names.

Maybe it does, but not necessarily.

Correction. They are saying Thibs is interested. Isn't that what you would leak if you were his agent?
    ESPN claimed to have sources that the PELICANS were interested. But honestly they shown me enough to know that they know little about our franchise, so I wanted to make sure with some true knowledgable heads.

Draft Pick
    MM, are there any other really good defensive coaches out there who could potentially be a head assistant kinda like What people are saying instead of malone who wont take an assistant job.

Top coaches doesn't necessarily mean top names. Or top NBA names.

Maybe it does, but not necessarily.
    That is my point. It COULD mean top NBA coaches. It could mean top names in inner circles or it could mean consensus talent coach or not. It could be a fishing attempt to try and lure out some established guys we may not know are in play. It could just be a quick answer Dell gave that really didn't have any substance beyond being the first PR answer he could think of.

Mostly i just thought it was interesting to fuel speculation. Since that is what most of us outside of the inside around here have until some more substantive news breaks.

This will be an interesting hire. If it is truly Dell's call, I do not see him going after Thibs. I would see someone like Messina being the choice. However, with Loomis' input, I question whether there is concern that an "unproven" coach could waste AD's best years.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    1. His AD says its a matter of when. That said, he does have a young kid in 7th grade. Maybe he doesn't want to leave or uproot him.

2.) I can't imagine any coach would choose any job over ours right now.

Hoiberg is not currently with other Iowa State coaches on a fan tour....coincidence?
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    Hoiberg is not currently with other Iowa State coaches on a fan tour....coincidence?
    Don't you dare get my hopes up!!

lol

Do you guys think Hoiberg would choose us over chicago with all the connections he has there?

1-6

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    He had heart surgery less than a month ago.

Don't you dare get my hopes up!!

lol
    What i keep worrying will throw a wrinkle into this whole thing is Chi/Cle. If Chi wins and goes on to the Finals they may not fire Thibs due to sheer necessity but anything short and I think he is gone. But Cleveland will likely fire Blatt if they lose to Chicago. At least if rumors of James and ownerships unhappiness with him are true.

What are your thoughts on the very real possibility that Lebron and CLE force Blatt out if they don't make the finals? And how do you think that affects our position at landing a head coach?

As much of a draw AD is I would have to imagine Hoiberg and Thibs may be a little more interested in the short term prospect of a James led Cleveland in an easier conference over the still maturing Pelicans in a tougher West.

Thread Information