Pelicans Report

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: An Early Look at the Potential Head Coach Candidates

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaPride View Post
    Not sure how I feel about JVG, i mean he's been out of it for a long time now. Is that a legit reason to be concerned?
    I think so.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaPride View Post
    Not sure how I feel about JVG, i mean he's been out of it for a long time now. Is that a legit reason to be concerned?
    There is a legit reason to be concerned with every candidate. Legit reason to be excited too
    @mcnamara247

I'm not an old enough basketball fan to know, and looking at his bio doesn't excite me. Why is everyone so high on Jeff Van Gundy?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    I'm not an old enough basketball fan to know, and looking at his bio doesn't excite me. Why is everyone so high on Jeff Van Gundy?
    He is basically the original Thibodeau. Like hiring Socrates instead of Plato.

Though, I am partial to Marcus Aurelius.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

I do see that he's got quite a lot of years with a lot of playoff appearances, but no championships. Did he not have the talent, or was he just not a championship level coach?

EDIT: or c) he ran into Jordan and Bryant.

Not sure why anyone is high on JVG. That guy was in great spots in both NY and Hou, and did nothing. In NY he had great talent (Ewing, LJ, etc), and in Hou he had Yao and TMac. Yet all he could muster in all his years was 1 finals appearance (a loss), and a bunch of first and second round exits.

I don't want him coaching AD and this team in a competitive West. He could be Hubie Brown and net us more wins, but I don't think he is going to win you a title.

Another thing, who was his assistant in Hou? Tom T.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Not sure why anyone is high on JVG. That guy was in great spots in both NY and Hou, and did nothing. In NY he had great talent (Ewing, LJ, etc), and in Hou he had Yao and TMac. Yet all he could muster in all his years was 1 finals appearance (a loss), and a bunch of first and second round exits.

I don't want him coaching AD and this team in a competitive West. He could be Hubie Brown and net us more wins, but I don't think he is going to win you a title.

Why must we go to the extremes?

"Did nothing" "All he could muster was 1 Finals experience"

I mean, c'mon. He might not be your guy (he's not mine), but we don't have to reduce the candidates we don't want to scrubs. He is a very accomplished coach who knows more about the game than all of us combined.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar

I'd rather go after young man, Scipio Africanus.

Not a philosopher, but he's someone you can go to war with.

Actually JVG's situation in Houston was similar,to the one McHakemis dealing with right now in Houston. Dwight/Harden and Ming/TMac, with similar role players. Quite interesting how the names have changed, but the makeup of the roster hasn't.

Either way, no wanty Jeff Van Gundy.

This is a great analogy. It's funny how a person can use JVG's short comings against him and then use the same shortcomings as an excuse for Thibs. Your are correct though. Thibs and JVG are eerily similar.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    This is a great analogy. It's funny how a person can use JVG's short comings against him and then use the same shortcomings as an excuse for Thibs. Your are correct though. Thibs and JVG are eerily similar.
    It's true. I would prefer neither Tibs or JVG.

It's true. I would prefer neither Tibs or JVG.
    I'm with you UNO. I'll pass on both

I think JVG could be a great coach here. Yes he had talent other places but never a piece like AD. The best thing about him is the time he has had off to study other great coaches around the game and incorporate and adapt to a new style. That's what makes a coach great and that's what Kerr did in a way. I think JVG is smart enough to change keeping some of his ways and the time off has given him the ability to do that.

He's not perfect and like Mac said nobody is. I am open to most candidates but JVG would definitely be near the top of my list.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-15-2015 at 04:08 PM.

Rookie

Forget the movie "Gladiator" and you would find that Marcus Aurelius was the man who gave empire to his son Commodus and the main reason for the end of democracy. He was not an innocent man and destroyed the empire.

JVG is a big admirer of veterans and the newcomers get huge difficulty for getting minutes. He commented that Asik was the second best defender in the league and if JVG comes to NOLA you should expect 7 men rotation and 45 minutes per game from the established players.

Is NOP full of established players? I do not know.

Who does that make Aristotle?
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Who does that make Aristotle?
    The question is whether you need Aristoteles or Slovaj Zizek?

And who is Keyser Soze?

There is a legit reason to be concerned with every candidate. Legit reason to be excited too
    True statement , I agree totally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's go with Epicurus instead. I'll be on board for sure!

You didn't finish your homework. The finals loss was against the Spurs when Ewing got injured and missed the entire finals. In Houston, Tmac and Yao was healthy for one season together and basically had no supporting cast that season. Similar to Thibs his teams always had injury problems which probably should be caution to stay away. He may be bad luck but he is a fine coach.

Maybe we can get Royce a White if Hoiberg comes here. Royce White was asked if he would get on a plane with coach Hoiberg and he stated "I would walk into a volcano with planes shooting out of it for coach"

White has a lot of talent and could be a good guy to bring in for a bench spot if the right coach was here to change his attitude and help with his anxiety. If White feels this way about him you have to believe he would have a pretty big impact on his relationship with AD.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Maybe we can get Royce a White if Hoiberg comes here. Royce White was asked if he would get on a plane with coach Hoiberg and he stated "I would walk into a volcano with planes shooting out of it for coach"

White has a lot of talent and could be a good guy to bring in for a bench spot if the right coach was here to change his attitude and help with his anxiety. If White feels this way about him you have to believe he would have a pretty big impact on his relationship with AD.
    That is a funny quote. I wonder what value White has left. He has aged since his ISU days, but some people age better than others.

I honestly feel you can't count on players alone to land you top tier talent, as it takes a good system and solid recruiting by the players on your own team. Without both I think your just whistling in the graveyard.

That is a funny quote. I wonder what value White has left. He has aged since his ISU days, but some people age better than others.

I honestly feel you can't count on players alone to land you top tier talent, as it takes a good system and solid recruiting by the players on your own team. Without both I think your just whistling in the graveyard.
    He's only 24 years old and it's not like he has been out of the game not playing for years. He reminds me a lot of Borris Diaw and I think could be a great bench guy with the right coach here. Diaw has a better 3 point shot but White also has better handles and passing. If White can develop a 3 point shot he could be a serious player and if not he could still be very valuable. He has loads of talent and isn't entering his prime yet. If we get Hoiberg and work White back into NBA shape we could get a steal on our hands.

I think the same thing. Players can help recruit but so can a coach. I think to have success getting good and great players you need to have a little but of both.

Thread Information