Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: First take and the monty firing

First take and the monty firing

Anyone watch "First take" today?

They were making the Monty firing into a racial issue.

Do they not realize our GM is the same race and he allegedly wanted Monty gone?

Why does Stephen A. Smith make everything a race issue?

It is sports, it is about winning, not race.

Stephen A. never says that (insert random unsuccessful asian,hispanic,caucasian etc. player) didn't get a fair shake.

They then call Lebron out and say that he should speak out against the "unfair" firing of black coaches.
    Last edited by JrueDat; 05-13-2015 at 01:12 PM.

Screamin' A Smith... half of the reason I no longer watch First Take

the other half is Skip "Troll" Bayless
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar

The NBA is 80% black and there are only 6 black coaches. I don't care if this involves our team or not, that number strikes me as odd. Sure, we'd like to believe it's only about sports, but the real world doesn't work that way. FYI, just because SAS is a black man that talks about race doesn't mean that's all he talks about.

I'm black and I found that annoying. They were clearly misinformed. They could care less about anything of our franchise, but as soon as Davis news or the firing happened they are certified experts on what's going on here? Foh. I would like for SAS to name our starting 5. Everything is not all about race all the damn time, if they and others would do their research they would see the terrible losses against lottery teams we had, the epic collapses, and terrible in game adjustments. Yes I'm very sensitive about racial injustices and my devotion for equality is strong, but today First take was soooo wrong. This one is not about a black man, this is about a better job and leader being needed. 5 years we all seen enough...
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by JrueDat View Post
    Anyone watch "First take" today?

They were making the Monty firing into a racial issue.

Do they not realize our GM is the same race and he allegedly wanted Monty gone?

Why does Stephen A. Smith make everything a race issue?

It is sports, it is about winning, not race.

Stephen A. never says that (insert random unsuccessful asian,hispanic,caucasian etc. player) didn't get a fair shake.

They then call Lebron out and say that he should speak out against the "unfair" firing of black coaches.
    Just watched it and you are definitely twisting his words.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    They're all big market blowers.

I care not for their opinions. I do care for Cari Champion though.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    Thanks caffeine around the 1:55 mark is where he turns it into a racial issue.

Where the Chinese coaches at?

C'mon guys! Step up yo game!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Chun View Post
    Just watched it and you are definitely twisting his words.
    where did I twist his words? did you watch past 1 minute and 55 seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    The NBA is 80% black and there are only 6 black coaches. I don't care if this involves our team or not, that number strikes me as odd. Sure, we'd like to believe it's only about sports, but the real world doesn't work that way. FYI, just because SAS is a black man that talks about race doesn't mean that's all he talks about.
    More often then not on "First Take" he does make things racial issues.

He never makes it an issue that the league is 80 percent black. We need more diversity among players then if it needs to be about race instead of basketball.

Thanks caffeine around the 1:55 mark is where he turns it into a racial issue.
    No prob.

Despite my joking post above, Stephen A claims that black coaches have fallen off the radar.
    IMO, shouldn't this fall on the coaches themselves.

It doesn't matter what race I am. If I'm not performing well, I would expect to be fired and replaced with someone my company sees as a better fit.

Stephen A just throws around race to be controversial and get his name out there.
    It's the same reason Al Sharpton is famous.

Just spewing hate for recognition.

More often then not on "First Take" he does make things racial issues.

He never makes it an issue that the league is 80 percent black. We need more diversity among players then if it needs to be about race instead of basketball.
    No, he just doesn't shy away from it which makes some people uncomfortable.

No prob.

Despite my joking post above, Stephen A claims that black coaches have fallen off the radar.
    IMO, shouldn't this fall on the coaches themselves.

It doesn't matter what race I am. If I'm not performing well, I would expect to be fired and replaced with someone my company sees as a better fit.
    I agree he says that the problem is owners are moving towards analytics and most of those guys are not black. Well then shouldn't the black coaches say hey analytics are where its at and learn and adapt.

While his opinion as to why we fired Monty is off, he does bring up a good point about diversity in coaching. How there can be so few black coaches in the league is a little shocking. I am not including Spanish, Asian, or any other race into this as how many players of those races are in the league? The fact that the league is 80% black, and you can't find but 6 good black coaches to man these teams? I think had Avery not taken the 'Bama job he would be in the PJ Carlisimo, Doug Collins, Del Harris head coaching circuit ( I think Monty is headed for that circuit himself), but there must be more qualified candidates than the ones taking jobs.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I didn't take them making this firing to be about race. He just used the fact that a black coach lost his job as a springboard to highlight something he sees as a problem in the NBA, and that's the lack of black head coaches. He didn't suggest that Monty's firing was race related, just that with the firing, there are even less black coaches than there was yesterday.

No, he just doesn't shy away from it which makes some people uncomfortable.
    I am not uncomfortable with it. I just think it hinders more than helps to make non-racial issues about race. If everything is always a racial issue it digs the line deeper and deeper never letting it disappear. It keeps us from just becoming human beings who are all one.
    Last edited by JrueDat; 05-13-2015 at 01:35 PM.

The league is 80% black?

What happened to all the white players?
    Are they slowly going the way of the black coaches?

Is this the universe's way of evening things out?

I am not uncomfortable with it. I just think it hinders more than helps to make non-racial issues about race. If everything is always a racial issue it digs the line deeper and deeper never letting it disappear. It keeps us from just becoming human beings who are all one.
    This.

Racism is like Freddy Krueger.
    It will continue to exist as long as we talk about it.

This.

Racism is like Freddy Krueger.
    It will continue to exist as long as we talk about it.
    Truth is racism will continue to exist even if we don't talk about it. That's a whole different thread, though.

The league is 80% black?

What happened to all the white players?
    Are they slowly going the way of the black coaches?

Is this the universe's way of evening things out?
    Personally I think the reason for less black coaches comes down to one simple fact.

More black college players go on to become professional players.

More white players realize that they have to turn to coaching if they want to continue a career in basketball.

It is a direct reflection of why the league is 80 percent black.

Nothing malicious or devious just pure reality.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    Truth is racism will continue to exist even if we don't talk about it. That's a whole different thread, though.
    Yeah, that's like a 500 page thread on saintsreport.com.

Personally I think the reason for less black coaches comes down to one simple fact.

More black college players go on to become professional players.

More white players realize that they have to turn to coaching if they want to continue a career in basketball.

It is a direct reflection of why the league is 80 percent black.

Nothing malicious or devious just pure reality.

This is an excellent point

and why Jimmer will become an assistant coach next year.

He is a huge racist and is given a forum to express it. If he were white and spoke the same crap but from a white aspect, he would have been fired immediately. It is sickening.

Thread Information