Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: How much does Asik get paid this summer?

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I was wrong. Asik isn't good at basketball (because he can't catch, has no post game, and lacks foot speed on defense), but he's clearly a top 20 center. So give him 3 years $36m and lets cross our fingers and hope he continues to develop as a 29 year old player. Because when I watch Asik play, I go "that's what this team needs", more often than I go "What the F was that?!?"

We can deal with 2016 and beyond later. Seriously, if he's top 20, I admit I was wrong. Let's pay him $36m over 3 or $48m over 4 and see what happens!
    Anyone who argues that Asik is not severely limited is blind. But thats not the argument and if it is... it shouldn't be. Saying someone is not the problem is not the same as giving that person a free pass. He would be the 6th or 7th best player on a contending team based on impact. He was already the third most consistent player on a 45 win team. Improve the play or the players in positions 2-5 and you wouldn't bat an eye at Asik.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Anyone who argues that Asik is not severely limited is blind. But thats not the argument and if it is... it shouldn't be. Saying someone is not the problem is not the same as giving that person a free pass. He would be the 6th or 7th best player on a contending team based on impact. He was already the third most consistent player on a 45 win team. Improve the play or the players in positions 2-5 and you wouldn't bat an eye at Asik.
    When the bill comes due to improve positions 2-5, and possibly 6, I just hope we can afford it. I have my doubts. But like I've said, I was wrong. If he's the 7th best player on a contending team and a top 20 center, pay the man $12m a year and plan for the moves you want to make during AD's second contract when we're in the middle of it.

YOLO.

I wonder how much would prime Rodman be worth in today's NBA?

Rodman was better than Asik but had many of the same limitations and added some off the court ones too.

I'd hope anyone here would choose Rodman over Asik but I'm curious to know how much you think Rodman would be worth in today's NBA.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post

Rodman was better than Asik but had many of the same limitations and added some off the court ones too.

I'd hope anyone here would choose Rodman over Asik but I'm curious to know how much you think Rodman would be worth in today's NBA.
    A max. He's better than Deandre Jordan and he will get a max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar

In today's NBA, Rodman is Tony Allen with rebounding and suspect mental health.
    He can defend multiple positions, so he gets more than Asik.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    A max. He's better than Deandre Jordan and he will get a max.
    Would you be willing to give him a max though? I know it's hard to say in a vacuum since the league's not static and it'd depend on your own team's needs and everything but do you think he's worth a max? (spoiler alert, I do)

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    In today's NBA, Rodman is Tony Allen with rebounding and suspect mental health.
    He can defend multiple positions, so he gets more than Asik.
    I don't think there's any question who is better between the two, Rodman is likely the greatest rebounder of all time.

Yeah, Rodman didn't care about scoring at all, so I would go with the Tony Allen comparison, but he wouldn't make Tony Allen money. He would probably make around what Asik will be making. But given the choice between the two I would take Rodman. I don't care if Rodman plays the same spot as AD, I would find a way to make it work. Heck you could play the lineup we used vs the Warriors, and do very well with it.

I don't know who Rodman's big man comparison in today's NBA is. Reggie Evans seems like the right kind of basket case/ only wants to play defense and touch other dude's junk, but there aren't many like them. Everyone today wants to score, unless they aren't very good, but even they want to score. Rodman wanted none of that.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Would you be willing to give him a max though? I know it's hard to say in a vacuum since the league's not static and it'd depend on your own team's needs and everything but do you think he's worth a max? (spoiler alert, I do)

I don't think there's any question who is better between the two, Rodman is likely the greatest rebounder of all time.
    Oh hell yes I give him a max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    All good points. Just to add, players are paid by the location of the game they are playing in. So while Fla., Del., Tx, and a few other states might not have certain taxes, if a player is playing a game in Utah, NY, or AZ, he will be subject to that states tax laws.

But I agree, it takes two to tango, while we might think Asik has to come back here, he doesn't. He could easily bolt, and leave us facing the reality that we will have to roll with Ajinca, and whoever we can scrounge up for $2 and a box of Cracker Jacks.

Oh the offseason, how I don't miss you.
    Nice info Sam and Uno, was not aware of either thanks for the insight!

i hope we dont bring him back and bring rolo back instead

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    i hope we dont bring him back and bring rolo back instead
    You must have a short memory.
    Do you remember his pick and roll defence?

Thread Information