Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How much does Asik get paid this summer?

How much does Asik get paid this summer?

I don't like him but it's obvious we're going to try to keep him. After that Warrior series and his lack luster year I'm pretty sure his value is really low. Last year Gortat got 12 a year in a shallow FA for centers. This year The Free agency runs deep and I think we can keep him for around 4/40.

FA centers better than Asik and what I think they will get paid, and teams that would be interested.

Deandre- (Best rebounder in the NBA and is a great defender bring hustle to every game can score outside of a dunk.) Max Clips, Knicks, Lakers, Mavs, Suns, Celts, and Bucks.
    Gasol- (Does everything you would want from your center.) Max Grizz, Knicks, Spurs, Lakers,and Mavs
    B.Lopez- 4/60 (Would be near max but has healthy worries.) Mavs, Nuggets, Lakers, Celts, and Pacers?,
    Monroe- 4/52 (Good on offense bad on D, young and room to improve so will get paid for that.) Blazers, Mavs, Lakers, Suns, Spurs?, and Pacers
    Hibbert- 4/56 (Top defensive center but sucks at everything else.) Mavs, Suns, and Knicks
    Chandler- 4/44 (Capable center but is getting older.) Blazers, Mavs, Suns, and Pacers?
    Kanter- 4/60 (Great offensive center but terrible defensively. He's still very young so he will get paid due to his potential) Mavs, Celts, Lakers, and NY
    R. Lopez- 4/44 (Capable center does the small things and hustles) Blazers, Suns, Knicks, and Mavs
    Koufus 4/48 (Good defender decent rebounder and not a offensive liability and is still young) Bucks, Celts, Blazers, Pacers, and Suns
    Asik- 4/40 (Elite rebounder but not as good of a defender as his rep which was exposed this year and is a absolute offensive liability) Suns, Blazers, Celts, and Pels

1-6

I think someone will give him a 4 year deal for 9 million a year, 36 million total.

I would like 3 year 27 million, with third year as a team option.

he may not have so many suitors. Koufos, RLo, BLo (if opts out), Kanter, Gasol, Jordan will be probably preferred, because of the class/age/production..
    He suits probably only defensive teams.
    Hornest (my biggest worry), maybe Celtics, Bucks (but they will have decisions to be made on their young core) and Memphis (if they lose Gasol).

I think we have a nice shot - probably he will be seeking 4 year deal (3+1 preferred for me)

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    3-4 years at 36 to 50 million

I heard John Reid of the TP/nola.com on the radio yesterday. For someone who covers the Pels, he's pretty clueless. He was talking about the Pels during the offseason and Asik came up. He feels the Pels would only bring him back on a contract of 5-6M/yr, and based it on his poor play in the playoffs. Nothing about the matchup being poor, nothing at all about the going rate for centers with the cap increase coming is much higher, nothing at all. He sounded pretty disinterested in general and very uninformed about the situation.

Sometimes we complain that there's not enough fan support for the Pels in NOLA, but the media sure doesn't do them many favors, all things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    I heard John Reid of the TP/nola.com on the radio yesterday. For someone who covers the Pels, he's pretty clueless. He was talking about the Pels during the offseason and Asik came up. He feels the Pels would only bring him back on a contract of 5-6M/yr, and based it on his poor play in the playoffs. Nothing about the matchup being poor, nothing at all about the going rate for centers with the cap increase coming is much higher, nothing at all. He sounded pretty disinterested in general and very uninformed about the situation.

Sometimes we complain that there's not enough fan support for the Pels in NOLA, but the media sure doesn't do them many favors, all things considered.
    The Advocate does a good job, and for my money, two of the best basketball blogs out there are BSS and TBW. Even the Pelicans Debrief does a good job.

Media is changing. The T-P only does three days a week anyway. Yes, I agree their coverage is bad since Nakia left, but we don't necessarily have to get our coverage from traditional newspapers anymore in this day and age. Take the best newspaper in the world in the 80's or 90's and I guarantee they don't provide the analysis that you can get nowadays for any team. People in those eras would have killed for the in-depth articles BSS or TBW does on a regular basis.

Just my tiny rant. Carry on.
    @mcnamara247

Rookie
    The best scenario is resign and trade. The value of Asik is around 50M plus minus 2M for 4 years. The Pels will not be happy to pay that amount and a new group of fans will positively affect OA's play. NOP will gain something from trade, OA will get paid as expected and welcomed in a new team.

It was a trial year and did not work for the parties. Resign and trade is the best option. Lets discuss that.

Remember the year after Gordon got his pay day and there were a lot of similar players on the market at the same time like Monta Ellis, KMart, Mayo, Thornton? They all got $7-$8 million. When Supply > Demand the price typically goes down and there will be a lot of supply this offseason. Who's list is he going to be at the top of besides ours? He was on the market for 2 years and only 3 teams were willing to trade for him, and Philly wanted to get paid for it. I think Boston had legit interest but couldn't pass up a pick for taking on Thornton. The escalating cap is a curve ball that's hard to account for but I don't see Asik getting more than about $10 per year.

I don't remember who but one of the BSS guys said at 10-11 million he will be overpaid for the season but underpaid for the 2 or 3 after that. I feel like a lot of people aren't taking that into consideration so I thought I would put it out there
    Welcome to be here

Hibbert > Asik imo. Much rather bring him in. I think a change of scenery goes a long way with ol' Hibby.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatPelican View Post
    Hibbert > Asik imo. Much rather bring him in. I think a change of scenery goes a long way with ol' Hibby.
    He won't be worth the extra money he commands. Too inconsistent and unpredictable.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatPelican View Post
    1. I think everyone agrees that Hibbert is better than Asik
    2. Indiana and Hibbert both have choices in where he goes
    3. He will cost more than Asik. Maybe a lot more

Those are all factors that need to be acknowledged. If Demps ends up with Asik, it is not because he thinks he is the best player. Just that he is the best possible option for the best price

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

Those are all factors that need to be acknowledged. If Demps ends up with Asik, it is not because he thinks he is the best player. Just that he is the best possible option for the best price

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

4. We can't sign Hibbert bc we dont have the cap and only can resign Asik bc we have his bird rights?

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    4. We can't sign Hibbert bc we dont have the cap and only can resign Asik bc we have his bird rights?
    Not if you have...

.....IMAGINATION!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Not if you have...

.....IMAGINATION!!!!!

How much does Asik get paid this summer?

I would not offer more than 8 mil a year for Asik. I would give him 24-27 for a 3 yea deal. Hopefully team option in the 3rd year. I would have to think really hard or everyone is way out of price range to give him 9 mil a year. He is a one way player. I don't think other teams will even consider 10 a year unless they are desperate. I hope we get another center honestly...I just get so annoyed watching a 7 foot center get his shots/dunks blocked all the time by smaller players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post
    I would not offer more than 8 mil a year for Asik. I would give him 24-27 a year. He is a one way player. I don't think other teams will even consider 10 a year unless they are desperate. I hope we get another center honestly...I just get so annoyed watching a 7 foot center get his shots/dunks blocked all the time by smaller players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think you fully understand out situation. There's plenty of literature on BSS to educate yourself. I find it hard to believe anyone who knows all the variables would agree with this.

Have you read this:

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...cap-situation/

No chance in hell I take Hibbert for his projected contract over Asik for his.

I also wouldn't give Chandler a 4yr/44m deal.

Personally I'd put 2 contracts on the table for Asik. 3yr/36m or 4yr/41m. Hopefully he takes those. If he forced the issued I'd go higher though.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I don't detest paying Asik next year, but in 2016 our options open up considerably, and we have less flexibility beyond next year if we commit to a multi year deal at anything over $10m per for Asik.

Also unless you're committed to Dell and Monty, I dont know why you would commit to a niche player like Asik. You next coach may play more small ball, or prefer a different type of center all together.

8 mil a year is more than enough for asik and his stone hands.
    I'm a grinder

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    No chance in hell I take Hibbert for his projected contract over Asik for his.

I also wouldn't give Chandler a 4yr/44m deal.

Personally I'd put 2 contracts on the table for Asik. 3yr/36m or 4yr/41m. Hopefully he takes those. If he forced the issued I'd go higher though.
    Give me Chandler over Asik if it's same amount of $$.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I don't detest paying Asik next year, but in 2016 our options open up considerably, and we have less flexibility beyond next year if we commit to a multi year deal at anything over $10m per for Asik.

Also unless you're committed to Dell and Monty, I dont know why you would commit to a niche player like Asik. You next coach may play more small ball, or prefer a different type of center all together.
    If we are making decisions based on some future coach already then we might as well kick them out now. You don't commit to a coach or GM and then when they go to sign their players say, "Welllllllll. You might not be here next year so don't sign this guy."

Why sign ANY player this summer? The next coach might not like them. Asik, just like every player will have a market. You sign him for market value and then if he doesn't fit later with a hypothetical new coach, or you need the cap, you move him. This is how it's always been done for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    Give me Chandler over Asik if it's same amount of $$.
    The length of the contract is the issue with Tyson. He had a great year in Dallas and they still aren't committed to him.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    If we are making decisions based on some future coach already then we might as well kick them out now. You don't commit to a coach or GM and then when they go to sign their players say, "Welllllllll. You might not be here next year so don't sign this guy."

Why sign ANY player this summer? The next coach might not like them. Asik, just like every player will have a market. You sign him for market value and then if he doesn't fit later with a hypothetical new coach, or you need the cap, you move him. This is how it's always been done for a reason.
    By your same logic, why would you commit to the player, that fits one coaches system, and not commit to the coach? Seems silly to me. If Asik was a more versatile center, I could buy into signing him long term irrespective of who the coach and GM are. But Asik is a dog that only knows one trick, and it's not hunting.

You say this is how it has always been done, and I question by whom?! Not championship organizations. What type of organization are you having us model?! The Nuggets? They signed Nene, then moved him for Javele. How'd that work out?

I make decisions based on what the organization is doing top to bottom. If you're not picking up options on Monty/Dell, I don't allow them to commit to a deal long term for Asik. Too limited a player.

The logic folks are using regarding resigning him because he's the only option the cap will allow us to exercise this summer, is the same logic people were using to justify matching a max deal for Gordon.

It's shortsighted. Mostly because the player is so limited.

Thread Information