Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Another center option?

Another center option?

There is talk in San Antonio that Tiago Splitter can be had. . . two years left on contract for $17M total.

Splitter is a beast, I'd rather both him or Koufous over Asik.

I would be down with that, but what would they want in return?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I would be down with that, but what would they want in return?
    hopefully EG or Asik lol.

kidding.

Well, if they are looking to create cap space, can we take on Splitter and just send back picks if we let Asik walk?

Splitter > Asik hands down IMO

Quote Originally Posted by jsl05 View Post
    Well, if they are looking to create cap space, can we take on Splitter and just send back picks if we let Asik walk?

splitter is easily better than Asik IMO, he is very good on defense, but can also score. He isn't the same as a rebounder but i could live with it.

I'm sorry, but there seems to be a trend of the grass always being greener elsewhere.

I would be fine with someone saying that they prefer Splitter over Asik, but calling him a BEAST, or saying he is "hands down" better than Asik is a little much IMO.

If Splitter is a beast, then what word do you use for the 15 centers better than him?

Yes, he is better offensively, but he doesn't come close to Asik on the boards and he has missed an average of 25+ games the last two years. He has only approached 2000 minutes in a season once, and has averaged about 1200 in his 5 years. He is a spot player too. He is also 30, an age that this board usually avoids like the plague.

Again, go ahead and prefer Splitter to Asik, but I do tend to think we might sometimes overlook the weaknesses of other players while getting overly frustrated with our own guys when they aren't ideal. Splitter comes here and misses games when we need him the most and has a high turnover rate again like the last few years, and I am sure this board would want to move him for some other guy we don't watch as much. Just the way it goes.
    @mcnamara247

Agreed splitter has much better hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SIGN A SF

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I'm sorry, but there seems to be a trend of the grass always being greener elsewhere.

I would be fine with someone saying that they prefer Splitter over Asik, but calling him a BEAST, or saying he is "hands down" better than Asik is a little much IMO.

If Splitter is a beast, then what word do you use for the 15 centers better than him?

Yes, he is better offensively, but he doesn't come close to Asik on the boards and he has missed an average of 25+ games the last two years. He has only approached 2000 minutes in a season once, and has averaged about 1200 in his 5 years. He is a spot player too. He is also 30, an age that this board usually avoids like the plague.

Again, go ahead and prefer Splitter to Asik, but I do tend to think we might sometimes overlook the weaknesses of other players while getting overly frustrated with our own guys when they aren't ideal. Splitter comes here and misses games when we need him the most and has a high turnover rate again like the last few years, and I am sure this board would want to move him for some other guy we don't watch as much. Just the way it goes.
    I probably should have chosen different verbage. I like Splitter on the deal he would have better than Asik on the deal he would have. I personally like Asik and, until this Splitter speculation, was on board with him coming back; but if we're talking about getting someone like Splitter, I'm all over it. He's a guy who has been there and done that, a guy who understands the concept of ball movement (and can catch the ball), and who can stay in at the end of games. He's crafty around the basket. Plus, he's cheaper.

Now, Asik is a solid rim protector (or can be) and P&R defender, but so is Splitter.

The ultimate question is: what does Splitter cost (on the market)? Since they're trying to create space for Aldridge/Gasol, they probably want nothing more than picks and unguaranteed contracts (if necessary). Asik is a FA, so we wouldn't have to give anything up; but he would cost more.

Contentions to points against Splitter:
    1. He may not come close to Asik on the boards, but what does Asik come close to Splitter in? Asik isn't as mobile and can't make the crafty moves that Splitter can near the goal. He is a significantly worse FT shooter, which really lowers his value since he can't stay in at the end of games. One more thing: Splitter has big-time experience. He's been put under pressure and has gone all the way through the playoffs. He knows what it's like. That's one thing we just don't have.

2. Ok, Splitter's approached 2000 minutes once, but Asik's only done so twice.

3. Injuries: I don't know a whole lot about his history as a whole, but this year he was plagued by a shoulder sprain (freak accident) and some calf injury. Not that these aren't big, but if memory serves, Asik also had a calf injury during the season.

4. Age: I don't care about it. Never have, never will. Plus, Asik will be 29 by start of season, so diff b/t 29 and 30 is insignificant.

I prefer Asik.

As a brazilian, I know Splitter very well. He's crafty on the offensive end, a good passer and has mobility to play either PF or C. But on defense, he's nowhere close to Asik. He works his butt off, but isn't the pick n roll defender Asik is, much less the rebounder. He definitely can't take the beating Asik takes, so to me it's pretty much a wash... I'd rather keep Asik, since I appreciate the little things he does for our defense and can live with his crappy offense. Just can't see Tiago handling Cousins, Howard, Gasol, Bogut... Make no mistake, Tiago is a good player, but so is Asik. take your time to watch Asik on 3 or 4 consecutive possesions, and notice how hard he works to take his man out of confort zone, how physical he plays and how he sacrifices good rebounding positioning, taking a chance on an attempt to block a shot and maybe commit a foul to keep his arms up and force the opponent to miss, so another teammate can grab the board, these little things that I can't really see Tiago doing without complaining, or on a consistent basis. That's why I prefer Asik.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafa Brazil View Post
    As a brazilian, I know Splitter very well. He's crafty on the offensive end, a good passer and has mobility to play either PF or C. But on defense, he's nowhere close to Asik. He works his butt off, but isn't the pick n roll defender Asik is, much less the rebounder. He definitely can't take the beating Asik takes, so to me it's pretty much a wash... I'd rather keep Asik, since I appreciate the little things he does for our defense and can live with his crappy offense. Just can't see Tiago handling Cousins, Howard, Gasol, Bogut... Make no mistake, Tiago is a good player, but so is Asik. take your time to watch Asik on 3 or 4 consecutive possesions, and notice how hard he works to take his man out of confort zone, how physical he plays and how he sacrifices good rebounding positioning, taking a chance on an attempt to block a shot and maybe commit a foul to keep his arms up and force the opponent to miss, so another teammate can grab the board, these little things that I can't really see Tiago doing without complaining, or on a consistent basis. That's why I prefer Asik.
    What he said....

Asik's small minutes were not connected with injuries, but with his situation as a backup in CHI and HOU. Splitter has some longer (but not serious) injuries.

Giving up picks for Splitter is stupid IMO. SAS would not like only 2nd rounders, which we don't have till 2017. And we have already given 1rd for Asik.
    I may give a pick for starting SF. Not for Splitter.

We need to get Javale MaGee who should come at a good price without a long term commitment. I would rather him over Asik for the price and years anyday. With a healthy Anderson next season playing how he left in the playoffs and bringing Ajinca back he won't have to play heavy minutes. He is a very low risk high reward pick up. I think he is a perfect fit here who has matured and being humbled down recently not needing to be some superstar. I think Monty can convince him to play within his game like Doc did with Jordan using his strengths being a near identical player to MaGee who mite even be more gifted then we get a steal. Let him run the floor, rebound, and play defense alongside Davis using his strengths covering up his weaknesses. He actually has shot a very good % from the field over his career and playing next to someone like Davis allowing him to play within himself could revive his career. I just think we are the best fit for him in the NBA with what we have and what we need from him. I like Asik and know he brings very good things to the table I just don't think he is a good fit here with what he mite cost and want in terms of years would be a bad move for us. I really believe we would get much more out of MaGee and he would be a better fit with our guards seeing all of the nice passes that rarely ever resulted in points making life easier on them with alley oops when defenders come up and quick dish dunks.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-06-2015 at 05:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    Asik's small minutes were not connected with injuries, but with his situation as a backup in CHI and HOU. Splitter has some longer (but not serious) injuries.

Giving up picks for Splitter is stupid IMO. SAS would not like only 2nd rounders, which we don't have till 2017. And we have already given 1rd for Asik.
    I may give a pick for starting SF. Not for Splitter.
    Yeah, my biggest problem with this whole Splitter thing is giving up [potentially multiple] first round picks, especially after we just gave one up for Asik. I

I guess, after further consideration, that, although I like Splitter as a player and on his contract better, at least Asik would provide corporate equity and wouldn't cost any assets (which we seem to lack); therefore, Asik is probably still the best option.

Still, my biggest concern is the fact that he can't play at the end of games and is a liability offensively.

Anyway, it's really pointless for us to say who we personally want and what we should do (like I just did). The best thing is for us to try to use history to predict what Dell and Monty are thinking. History tells me that they're both looking for continuity, as previously mentioned, and both obviously value Asik (after giving up a first and talking about how important he is to the team). So I can live with Asik as the guy, mainly because Splitter would cost even more assets.

Asik is probably still the best option.

Still, my biggest concern is the fact that he can't play at the end of games and is a liability offensively.
    no matter what arguments any Asik-hater shows - he is the best option for now - he costs only money (no draft picks) and other FA (like Koufos/Lopez) will be overpaid.
    IMO 2+1 year deal for Asik with the team option suits all. and any amount less than 10 million and I am fine with it.

and about his liability in offense - it still looks better than at the beginning.

but first things first - we all did not know what amount of money Asik will receive in the open market. one offer from GM and we have a problem/are happy enough - with/without center...

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    So Brow will be the next Duncan, so let's get him Duncan's center.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    If you think people complain about the 1st rounder we gave up for Asik...........

Do we know if he is on the market, and if the Spurs really want a first rounder for him, or is this is all just speculation?

If I really want to trade for a center. It be Cousin. And yes... I have a man crush on Cousin's game. No shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    So Brow will be the next Duncan, so let's get him Duncan's center.

lol
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    We need to get Javale MaGee who should come at a good price without a long term commitment. I would rather him over Asik for the price and years anyday. With a healthy Anderson next season playing how he left in the playoffs and bringing Ajinca back he won't have to play heavy minutes. He is a very low risk high reward pick up. I think he is a perfect fit here who has matured and being humbled down recently not needing to be some superstar. I think Monty can convince him to play within his game like Doc did with Jordan using his strengths being a near identical player to MaGee who mite even be more gifted then we get a steal. Let him run the floor, rebound, and play defense alongside Davis using his strengths covering up his weaknesses. He actually has shot a very good % from the field over his career and playing next to someone like Davis allowing him to play within himself could revive his career. I just think we are the best fit for him in the NBA with what we have and what we need from him. I like Asik and know he brings very good things to the table I just don't think he is a good fit here with what he mite cost and want in terms of years would be a bad move for us. I really believe we would get much more out of MaGee and he would be a better fit with our guards seeing all of the nice passes that rarely ever resulted in points making life easier on them with alley oops when defenders come up and quick dish dunks.
    IF and its a big IF Asik walks, I'd go after McGee. Monty works magic with players. My only reservation would be that our already low bball IQ would get lower. On the other hand, our athleticism goes way up. The thought of the decisions being made with McGee and Reke on the court makes my head hurt though lol

The Franchise    Contributor   

That's definitely a glass half full view of Javale. He has the same physical tools as DJ and similar mental shortcomings, but just because DJ figured it out (sort of) does not mean that Javale would. Worth a risk in taking Withey's spot? yes. worth a risk taking Alexis spot? maybe, and only if Alexis takes big money elsewhere. Worth taking the risk of penciling him in as a starter? no way.

As for Splitter, I agree with the line of thought above that I like him better at 2 years of 17 than what I suspect we may end up paying Asik - in a vacuum. But is SA really willing to part with him for nothing but 2nd rounders? I think they'd get better offers than that. No way am I trading another 1st for him. So what then? Anderson? Not doing that straight up without us getting something else, and then it doesn't make sense on their end, so you're talking about a 3-teamer, and then the conversation can go anywhere. But if you assume that we send Anderson out, and bring Splitter in, and then obviously don't resign Asik, that keeps us at about 56M in salary including the QA for Cole correct? with the cap projected to be 67? oh, no wait, it doesn't because of the roster holds for the rest of the spots. so it's not opening up a huge slot this summer, even if it does potentially give us even more flexability the following summer with Splitter at a better bargain price than Asik. I think/hope we'll do better with Ryan than that. which brings us back to 2nd rounders for Splitter, which I don't see.

You wouldn't need to give anything up but cap space. With as many centers as are on the market nobody is going to get in a bidding war for him, and cap space to get Aldridge or Gasol is much more valuable to the Spurs than Splitter. The problem comes in creating cap space. You can't trade Asik and you can't send much salary to San Antonio meaning you have to get a 3rd team involved and trade someone with enough salary to have been productive this season. The best trade I could come up with that tried to replace what we lost in trade is

Ryan Anderson to Toronto
    Patrick Patterson and Tiago Splitter to New Orleans
    Toney Douglas and Jeff Withey to San Antonio

Spurs do it for Cap Space
    Raptors do it because they are probably looking to blow things up and Anderson's deal is shorter and probably more tradeable than Patterson's.
    Pels do it to save money on role players, add veteran championship experience, and trade the high variation of Anderson/Asik for more balanced players.

I think I would still take Asik over Splitter unless Asik's contract demands got out of hand.

Thread Information