Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Another center option?

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    If I really want to trade for a center. It be Cousin. And yes... I have a man crush on Cousin's game. No shame.
    Now, THAT is an example of someone who is a beast and hands down better than Asik.

I agree. I would give up any asset not named Davis to get Cousins and then figure out the rest later. Would be in heaven if I got to keep Jrue and built around those 3
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    If I really want to trade for a center. It be Cousin. And yes... I have a man crush on Cousin's game. No shame.
    in the words of Michael Jackson, you are not alone.

I wonder what it would take to make that magic happen.

Like MM spells out, if you can keep AD and Jrue (while netting Cousins), the rest will work itself out. Those three would be like no thing the NBA has seen since Duncan and Robinson, but they only had Avery.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 05-06-2015 at 12:13 PM.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I wouldn't replace him with Asik, but if given the chance, I would go after Pero Antic of the Hawks. He is older (32), but this is his third year in the NBA. He has a ortg of 103 and a drt god 107 (both are the same as Cunningham), and being that he is older, he won't be getting a huge contract, but my question would be, does he want to leave a good thing in ATL (which he probably doesn't).

Just my imagination, but it would be fun to have him here.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    IF and its a big IF Asik walks, I'd go after McGee. Monty works magic with players. My only reservation would be that our already low bball IQ would get lower. On the other hand, our athleticism goes way up. The thought of the decisions being made with McGee and Reke on the court makes my head hurt though lol
    Haha yea I feel you on the head hurting a little. I just think Asik is a bad fit here personally. With the role MaGee would be given I think he would be a great fit here and his IQ really wouldn't be a problem with what he would be asked to do. I don't think he is that dumb where he can't function and be a valuable player in our system. I remember watching him against the Lakers in the playoffs and he looked like a super star. To me him next to someone like Davis with having capable guys on the bench to relieve him without needing him for heavy minutes every night is a perfect fit. Him and Davis could hold hands and near touch spin in a circle with theirs arms stretched out touching the 3 point line. He has a very good FG % that would be been better here I think and giving him the role of just rebounding and playing defense would bring out his strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Haha yea I feel you on the head hurting a little. I just think Asik is a bad fit here personally. With the role MaGee would be given I think he would be a great fit here and his IQ really wouldn't be a problem with what he would be asked to do. I don't think he is that dumb where he can't function and be a valuable player in our system. I remember watching him against the Lakers in the playoffs and he looked like a super star. To me him next to someone like Davis with having capable guys on the bench to relieve him without needing him for heavy minutes every night is a perfect fit. Him and Davis could hold hands and near touch spin in a circle with theirs arms stretched out touching the 3 point line. He has a very good FG % that would be been better here I think and giving him the role of just rebounding and playing defense would bring out his strengths.

It has nothing to do with just IQ.
    It's is he able to accept a minimal role like Asik does/has?
    Asking a player to do so and him being happy doing it is another matter.

If anything he replaces Ajinca if he is overpaid.

I am a huge fan of Jrue but Cousins is one of the few guys that I would trade Jrue for(not a 1 for 1 trade). That would be one of the best front courts in NBA history
    Welcome to be here

If it takes Jrue Holiday to get Big Cuz here, I'll pack Jrue's bags myself. Bye Bye. We have one untradeable guy, AD. Everybody else is fair game.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Now, THAT is an example of someone who is a beast and hands down better than Asik.

I agree. I would give up any asset not named Davis to get Cousins and then figure out the rest later. Would be in heaven if I got to keep Jrue and built around those 3
    I agree. I think a three way with Denver is realistic. I'd guess Karl would love to have Lawson and Denver could really blow it up and make a huge push in free agency next year especially if they took Gordon or Ryno. Of course a lot of players would be moved maybe sign and trade Asik to either Denver or Sac-town. I'd expect Denver to want Reke but both Denver and Sacramento would want sweeteners. Sacramento could get Lawson, Asik and a future 1st from us, Denver gets Reke and Ryno, we get Cousins and I'm sure fillers. Just go get Buggy please.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ohfvu7z

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

To Sac thats like giving up AD. No way it happens, but I agree, would be a great piece since he plays in the paint and produces on both ends.

The more I watch D Jordan the more I like him. Strictly b/c he stays around the paint, hustles, and plays aggressive. But not for 15-20m.

I still think our best option is to sign a stud PF or SG and rotate AD more minutes at Center. Maybe Ad can gain another 10lbs to help against the big boys.

Quote Originally Posted by lsutigers33 View Post
    To Sac thats like giving up AD. No way it happens, but I agree, would be a great piece since he plays in the paint and produces on both ends.

The more I watch D Jordan the more I like him. Strictly b/c he stays around the paint, hustles, and plays aggressive. But not for 15-20m.

I still think our best option is to sign a stud PF or SG and rotate AD more minutes at Center. Maybe Ad can gain another 10lbs to help against the big boys.
    I don't think AD will ever gain enough weight to play center full time....He's slender build won't allow it. We just need a center that can finish....If Asik could improve 40 percent at finishing around the rim...everyone will be satisfied......

AD is at least 6'11" and might have even hit 7' (sorta like Durant is quite a bit taller than his listed height). In his prime he is going to be as tall as or taller and weigh more than Noah.

If you look at the PFs he is going against right now it might actually be easier on him to play more at C once he puts on his weight. I'm sure he will do like Duncan and split time between both positions. The difference being I think he has more of a C body than Duncan.

Only way in his prime he isn't getting the majority of his minutes at C (read at least 51%) is if we just land a stud there either through draft or FA. The 4 is simply much easier to fill and it makes too much sense long term for AD to transition to the 5. He can still have his fun on offense, it's just a matter of who he guards on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    I don't think AD will ever gain enough weight to play center full time....He's slender build won't allow it. We just need a center that can finish....If Asik could improve 40 percent at finishing around the rim...everyone will be satisfied......
    He has the frame to be huge. He just seems to have a metabolism that won't give up. The guy supposedly downs pizza all the time and was hitting the gym religiously last summer and doing what he could to bulk up. You could tell too in the FIBA league but over the course of the season you could kind of tell he lost a lot of that muscle due to the insane amount of cardio and obviously less time to hit the weights. If he keeps that routine up for a couple more offseaons, I think age and the work will allow him to get pretty big.

As for Asik, I would settle for him learning to pass out. Yeah work on finishing but he needs to learn to pass out.

It would be best if he passed right out of the city.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    If it takes Jrue Holiday to get Big Cuz here, I'll pack Jrue's bags myself. Bye Bye. We have one untradeable guy, AD. Everybody else is fair game.
    Pack everyone else's bags, too ! We will only be able to afford 4 guys !

Ad and cousins would be the best combo since duncan and the admiral.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I would trade anyone and everyone on the team outside of AD to get Cousins. I just doubt it's possible, but if it is, then why would you not do it?

Tyreke? Anderson? Jrue? S&T with Asik or Ajinca? We throw in a first rounder? Take on a bad contract or two? Yes to all!

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    I would trade anyone and everyone on the team outside of AD to get Cousins. I just doubt it's possible, but if it is, then why would you not do it?

Tyreke? Anderson? Jrue? S&T with Asik or Ajinca? We throw in a first rounder? Take on a bad contract or two? Yes to all!
    Don't do it because someone has to get them the ball and defend wing players, so Holiday is off the table. Don't do it because Cousins' attitude seems to be very negative, unlike Duncan, the Admiral, or either of the Twin Towers. I would go all in for a fantastic guard like Curry, even though I love Holiday when healthy. I'd go all in for Durant. Other than that I'd protect Holiday, and unless I'm getting Gasol this year I'd bring the top 10 back for another run at the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by NOEngineer View Post
    Don't do it because someone has to get them the ball and defend wing players, so Holiday is off the table. Don't do it because Cousins' attitude seems to be very negative, unlike Duncan, the Admiral, or either of the Twin Towers. I would go all in for a fantastic guard like Curry, even though I love Holiday when healthy. I'd go all in for Durant. Other than that I'd protect Holiday, and unless I'm getting Gasol this year I'd bring the top 10 back for another run at the playoffs.
    Given the situation, can you really blame him? That team has got to be really frustrating to play for. Every year they make a series of trades that leads them to no where and then when they finally look like they are on the uptick they fire Mike Malone and they are back to square one.

Draft Pick
    Would tyreke and Anderson be in the ball park for him? Id really consider that trade. Or what about Reke or Anderson plus a first rounder? That seems pretty fair both ways but I feel that some other team will offer something better

The Franchise
    I think the only way Cousins leaves is if he asked to leave other than that he is there for a long time. Just wishing plus I doubt they take tyreke back.

I think the Karl experiment will have to fail before Cousins goes up for sale.

I mean Malone got fired because ownership was convinced that their team was much better then it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Tru3th View Post
    Would tyreke and Anderson be in the ball park for him? Id really consider that trade. Or what about Reke or Anderson plus a first rounder? That seems pretty fair both ways but I feel that some other team will offer something better
    No. They could have just kept Tyreke if they wanted him, and Anderson had a poor year after a serious neck injury. It'd be like us trading Davis for Robin Lopez and Nic Batum, except maybe even worse.

Here's an idea, let's see what lurks in the second round of this year's draft in regards to the center position.

First of all, no matter what we do, we cannot take- Rakeem Christmas from Syracuse. ANYBODY that is compared to.....let me quote

"NBA Comparison: Hilton Armstrong / Cedric Simmons" is undoubtedly our worst nightmare.

Amazing they compare someone to BOTH of the total BUST that we, the Hornets, took in the same round and year.

After researching most of these guys pretty good, I was able to find film on em all. Heck, I'll go with the athletic freaks with the 7'3" wing-spans that I put in bold. Even Bismack from the Hornets started to come around this year

Dakari Johnson
    C (Kentucky - Sophomore)
    19.6 years old | 6'11" | 263 lbs

Robert Upshaw
    C (Washington - Sophomore)
    21.3 years old | 7'0" | 264 lbs

Nikola Milutinov
    C (Partizan - International)
    20.3 years old | 7'0" | 220 lbs

Guillermo Hernangomez
    C (Sevilla - International)
    20.7 years old | 6'11" | 255 lbs

Mouhammadou Jaiteh
    C (Nanterre - International)
    20.4 years old | 6'11" | 249 lbs

Arturas Gudaitis
    C (Zalgiris - International)
    21.8 years old | 6'10" | 253 lbs

Moussa Diagne
    C (Fuenlabrada - International)
    21.1 years old | 6'10" | 218 lbs

Alan Williams
    C (UC Santa Barbara - Senior)
    22.2 years old | 6'8" | 264 lbs

Cady Lalanne
    PF/C (Massachusetts - Senior)
    23.0 years old | 6'10" | 241 lbs

Alpha Kaba
    PF/C (Espoirs Pau-Orthez - International)
    19.2 years old | 6'10" | 225 lbs

Satnam Singh
    C (IMG Academy - International)
    19.4 years old | 7'2" | 290 lbs

Andzejs Pasecniks
    C (VEF Riga - International)
    19.3 years old | 7'1" | 220 lbs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1400859345.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	178.1 KB 
ID:	5969Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gr_129.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	5970

I can't speak for anyone else but, when I read this post I always laugh...and I've read it about -5 times over the last few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by observerII View Post
    It would be best if he passed right out of the city.

Go after Javale Magee and keep Ajinca. Asik and the $ he is going to demand needs to go. Magee having matured can come here and play as good if not better than Deandre Jordan. Magee and Davis would be one long and amazing defensive duo. Like I said let Magee rebound and play d without worrying about anything else. He has had a high FG% throughout his career and that is with him even trying to create for himself. When he gets here just let him know that his points will come from putbacks and our guards creating easy buckets for him with all the attention on Davis.

I just love the idea of having a front court of Davis/Magee and Anderson/Ajinca with Anderson back to his old self as our 6th man off the bench and Ajinca being very capable of playing good minutes not forcing Magee to have to do to much. He can be our Tyson Chandler/Deandre Jordan and thrive here next to Davis. He has never had the ability to play with someone even close to the level of Davis which takes so much off of a player just like Griffin does for Jordan. He will have suitors but we can get him for an absolute steal with short years and team options controlling what we want with him. Get him on a similiar deal to what we had with Rolo and that's a steal compared to Asik. Maybe a sign and trade with Asik to the Knicks bringing back Smitty?
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-09-2015 at 01:00 AM.

Thread Information