Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The New Orleans Pelicans' 2015 Salary Cap Situation

Draft Pick

Pelicans The New Orleans Pelicans' 2015 Salary Cap Situation

Took a look at a bunch of offseason scenarios for the Pelicans in regards to what their salary cap position looks like. Hopefully will answer most questions people have about what the team can and cannot do this summer.

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...cap-situation/

Great breakdown. So, pretty much if Gordon opts in and we resign Asik. We are running it back with our team of this year and we can look forward to free agency in 2016.

So the Pelicans could have 39 million in cap space, INCLUDING Davis' max extension already included?

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    So the Pelicans could have 39 million in cap space, INCLUDING Davis' max extension already included?
    And could theoretically get even more. I mean, if you had to, you could unload Tyreke or Jrue next summer if you had to. Basically, they will be able to sign whomever they want. The issue won't be the money, it will be convincing the player(s)
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 05-02-2015 at 01:23 PM.
    @mcnamara247

Draft Pick
    Yes. Davis (25) + Holiday (11.3) + Evans (10.2) + Pondexter (3.6) = ~$50 million of a ~$89 million cap. Even if you add in the team's 2016 first round pick ($1.3 million) and Asik making ~$11 million, they would still have about $26.5 million in cap space, $24 million of which could theoretically go to one player.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    And could theoretically get even more. I san, if you had to, you could unload Tyreke or Jrue next summer if you had to. Basically, they will be able to sign whomever they want. The issue won't be the money, it will be convincing the player(s)
    Also, that.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MasonGinsberg View Post
    Yes. Davis (25) + Holiday (11.3) + Evans (10.2) + Pondexter (3.6) = ~$50 million of a ~$89 million cap. Even if you add in the team's 2016 first round pick ($1.3 million) and Asik making ~$11 million, they would still have about $26.5 million in cap space, $24 million of which could theoretically go to one player.
    So what kind of players do you think we would be looking to sign 2016? I'm really curious everyone's thoughts on our options/chances needs etc

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    So what kind of players do you think we would be looking to sign 2016? I'm really curious everyone's thoughts on our options/chances needs etc
    Trying to predict this far out is close to impossible. I mean, we can have fun with it, but really trying to figure it out is a fool's game IMO.

As a GM, you just try to give yourself as much flexibility as possible while also putting together a good team in the meantime and I think Dell has done that

And could theoretically get even more. I mean, if you had to, you could unload Tyreke or Jrue next summer if you had to. Basically, they will be able to sign whomever they want. The issue won't be the money, it will be convincing the player(s)
    very interesting, do u think KD would be a good fit or does his injury worry u? Who else will be a free agent that u think would be a good piece?

awesome, thanks.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Maximum future flexibility is why I'm against Asik getting a double digit per year multi year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Maximum future flexibility is why I'm against Asik getting a double digit per year multi year deal.
    Here's my counter:

If you take a step backward next year, are you as appealing to FA's?

I would say no. I think they will need to take a step forward to really be able to make a pitch to the big guys.

Now, I know some people think there are guys who can give us 80% of what Asik does for 30-50% of the price. I do not believe that is true.

Try to trade Gordon for cap space. If you can then renounce Asik..If not then bring back basically the same team.

Bringing back the same team and waiting til 2016 for cap space seems like the safest bet though
    Last edited by speedyG; 05-02-2015 at 07:03 PM.

Here's my counter:

If you take a step backward next year, are you as appealing to FA's?

I would say no. I think they will need to take a step forward to really be able to make a pitch to the big guys.

Now, I know some people think there are guys who can give us 80% of what Asik does for 30-50% of the price. I do not believe that is true.
    With the cap going up in 2016, what is the likelihood Asik signs just a one year deal?
    Or will they just factor all this in in his 3 or 4 year deal this season anyway?

What type of salary would KD get in free agency?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    24 mil so he could play with AD

More than that. I would have to dig in, but he would start out around 33 million per year. With 4.5% raises, it would be like a 4 year/140 mil deal. OKC could give him 5 years, but it wouldn't be that much more annually. Like, 7-8 mil more over the 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    24 mil so he could play with AD
    No chance.
    More like 30-34M

EDIT: NM....thanks MM

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    Try to trade Gordon for cap space. If you can then renounce Asik..If not then bring back basically the same team.

Bringing back the same team and waiting til 2016 for cap space seems like the safest bet though
    Or bring back the same team and see what trades are available in February. That's where you get the most value IMO

With the cap going up in 2016, what is the likelihood Asik signs just a one year deal?
    Or will they just factor all this in in his 3 or 4 year deal this season anyway?
    Bump??

So I've gathered that we will sign Durant next summer.

1 year deal? Very unlikely IMO. Don't think Asik goes for that, and I think Dell sees him as more of a long term piece than most on this board.

Yes, guys signing this offseason know where the cap is going, so their contracts will reflect that. Year 1 will be an overpay while years 2 and beyond are a bit of an underpay. If the cap were staying normal, I would expect Asik to get around 9 mil per. Instead, he will get 10-11 per. Will be overpaid next year and underpaid beyond that

I don't know about the luxury tax too well so about what will that be when the cap makes the jump?
    Welcome to be here

Ed Davis' salary is what % of Asiks? Yet his production isn't far off of Asiks (not that I am advocating for Davis), but finding a replacement to Asik isn't going to be hard, but finding a guy giving you as good of production for a cheaper price won't be easy.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Ed Davis' salary is what % of Asiks? Yet his production isn't far off of Asiks (not that I am advocating for Davis), but finding a replacement to Asik isn't going to be hard, but finding a guy giving you as good of production for a cheaper price won't be easy.
    can he play center? Id say Biyombo or Serpahin would be the cheaper upside guys

Thread Information