Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The New Orleans Pelicans' 2015 Salary Cap Situation

The Lakers pulled hobos off of Hollywood Blvd to play center for them this season, so I am sure David did at some point.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Ed Davis' salary is what % of Asiks? Yet his production isn't far off of Asiks (not that I am advocating for Davis), but finding a replacement to Asik isn't going to be hard, but finding a guy giving you as good of production for a cheaper price won't be easy.
    And Spencer Hawes had great numbers playing for a terrible team. Went to a real team and now he can't get on the court.

Don't be fooled by stats when a player is playing for a terrible team. Davis could be a 4th big on a playoff team. That's it
    @mcnamara247

I dont think we would take the risk but Biyombo could probably give most of what Asik does, and become a better player

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    I dont think we would take the risk but Biyombo could probably give most of what Asik does, and become a better player
    Biyombo would be a nice backup....He only started in Charlotte because Jefferson got hurt. He would get killed as starting center....IMO

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    Thats an interesting thought. I admit I have watched little of the guy and only know passingly of his reputation. Didn't realize his qualifying offer was coming up.

His stats aren't bad for what we need though. His Opponents FG% at the rim was 39% in 13-14 and 48% this year. That is better then Asik, although level of competition comes into play there. As a starter he boarded at a decent rate and offensively he at least has some upside compared to Asik who is who he is.

I always read one of his positives is he is a good screen setter.

I mean he would probably only play 20 minutes here based on our roster.

I would be interested in more insight from anyone.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 05-03-2015 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    Biyombo would be a nice backup....He only started in Charlotte because Jefferson got hurt. He would get killed as starting center....IMO
    From what I can tell he has the same strengths/weaknesses as Asik. Only much more athletic, much better shot-blocker, but less proven as a starter obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    And Spencer Hawes had great numbers playing for a terrible team. Went to a real team and now he can't get on the court.

Don't be fooled by stats when a player is playing for a terrible team. Davis could be a 4th big on a playoff team. That's it
    In Hawes defense he is the 3rd big behind Jordan and Griffin. He's not exactly getting looked over for minuets by chopped liver.

I do understand what your saying, but if all your paying Asik for is to take the hits that would be going to AD, and get rebounds (because your certainly not paying him to play offense), then there certainly are cheaper alternatives.

In Hawes defense he is the 3rd big behind Jordan and Griffin. He's not exactly getting looked over for minuets by chopped liver.

I do understand what your saying, but if all your paying Asik for is to take the hits that would be going to AD, and get rebounds (because your certainly not paying him to play offense), then there certainly are cheaper alternatives.
    The Clippers are playing Big Baby and Hedo minutes in the playoffs, but not Hawes. Heck, Baby played on one ankle ahead of him in Game 7.

My point is that for every Hassan Whiteside, there are 20 bigs that you try to get for a minimum to mid-level salary that straight up stink. Sure, if we can catch lightning in a bottle and find an exception to the rule, I would be all for it. But odds say that if you try to go cheap this center at summer, you are more likely to get a Greg Stiemsma than a Hassan WHiteside or even Kosta Koufos

I think the issue with Davis is he's a great, productive energy guy who lacks length and shooting ability. He seems to me like a guy who can go get numbers and score with efficiency, but who doesn't really make anyone else's job easier on offense or defense.

The Clippers are playing Big Baby and Hedo minutes in the playoffs, but not Hawes. Heck, Baby played on one ankle ahead of him in Game 7.

My point is that for every Hassan Whiteside, there are 20 bigs that you try to get for a minimum to mid-level salary that straight up stink. Sure, if we can catch lightning in a bottle and find an exception to the rule, I would be all for it. But odds say that if you try to go cheap this center at summer, you are more likely to get a Greg Stiemsma than a Hassan WHiteside or even Kosta Koufos
    But you don't need Whiteside, Gobert, or any players like that. You need a guy who can absorb contact and get rebounds while not being a liability on offense. That's why I brought up Davis. Asia is fine, but what you are going to wind up paying him will be a bit exorbitant all things being considered. Dial it back if your looking for a poor mans Ben Wallace. Call up Joel Pryzbilla and see if he is up for the challenge, but if Asik is eating up even 11% of the salary cap, that's 1% too much given what you still will need somebody else to account for.

Biyombo isnt Greg Stiemsma I'd say that much.. Ed Davis is a good player too but I think more likely a backup
    Last edited by speedyG; 05-04-2015 at 01:06 PM.

Here is a list of what centers are making now, http://www.spotrac.com/nba/rankings/cap-hit/center/, go and tag on another 5% for the new TV deal that will hit in two years. Does Asik deserve that $10-11 mil he will command? That would put him in that Gortat, Horford, Jordan range.

Here is a list of what centers are making now, http://www.spotrac.com/nba/rankings/cap-hit/center/, go and tag on another 5% for the new TV deal that will hit in two years. Does Asik deserve that $10-11 mil he will command? That would put him in that Gortat, Horford, Jordan range.
    But those guys won't be getting that next year. Example - Jordan is going WAY up (20 mil), Kanter will get more than 10 mil, so will Lopez. A center making 10 mil will be like the 20th highest paid center next year, 25th the year after that, etc.

The only way you get a starting caliber center for less than 10 mil is if you have one on a rookie contract or get extremely lucky IMO. Even a guy like Koufos will get 8 mil or more IMO.

5% is WAY to conservative. The amount of money in the pot will grow about 85% 2 years from now. Why would guys get 5% more than today's market value? 10 million is the new 6 million. 10 million is not a lot. I feel like I have typed this 1000 times; I don't know why I keep doing it.

I pulled the 5% from the current inflation rate times a very generous percentage.

That said, $10 mil is still way to generous an amount for a guy of Asiks talent. $10mil is still 11% of your salary cap. I can't fathom on what planet a % of that size going to guy who is such a liability on one end of the court is a good idea? Can you? Maybe I am too picky, but that just seems like a bad idea.

I pulled the 5% from the current inflation rate times a very generous percentage.

That said, $10 mil is still way to generous an amount for a guy of Asiks talent. $10mil is still 11% of your salary cap. I can't fathom on what planet a % of that size going to guy who is such a liability on one end of the court is a good idea? Can you? Maybe I am too picky, but that just seems like a bad idea.
    11% of the current cap is like 6.6 mil. There are so many guys who make that who don't sniff Asik's production.

And remember, that is just 11% of the cap. Most teams operate above the cap, and even up to the lux tax or beyond. I would guess the Pels true salary number in 2017 will be around 115 million.

Devoting 10% of your total salary to a starting center who anchors your defense and swallows up 30% of rebounds when he is on the court is a bargain. Or, at the very least, it is not something that kills opportunities to do something else.

But, I know the grass is always greener because of the chance you can get someone nearly as good cheaper, but that is the exception, not the rule. You look at all the non-rookie contract guys who got paid less than Asik this year and performed better, and you will see a few exceptions. But the overwhelming majority are much, much worse.

11% of the current cap is like 6.6 mil. There are so many guys who make that who don't sniff Asik's production.

And remember, that is just 11% of the cap. Most teams operate above the cap, and even up to the lux tax or beyond. I would guess the Pels true salary number in 2017 will be around 115 million.

Devoting 10% of your total salary to a starting center who anchors your defense and swallows up 30% of rebounds when he is on the court is a bargain. Or, at the very least, it is not something that kills opportunities to do something else.

But, I know the grass is always greener because of the chance you can get someone nearly as good cheaper, but that is the exception, not the rule. You look at all the non-rookie contract guys who got paid less than Asik this year and performed better, and you will see a few exceptions. But the overwhelming majority are much, much worse.
    I'm of the belief that a healthy Jrue and a 3 and D that can get his own shot and finish at the rim would make Asik's offense a non issue.....Wilson Chandler would fit really well with this team...IMO. Even if no changes are made, Asik will be better next season. A summer to work on his weakness in his game will do wonders for him and the Pelicans......

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    I'm of the belief that a healthy Jrue and a 3 and D that can get his own shot and finish at the rim would make Asik's offense a non issue.....Wilson Chandler would fit really well with this team...IMO. Even if no changes are made, Asik will be better next season. A summer to work on his weakness in his game will do wonders for him and the Pelicans......
    I would love Demarre Carol but he is likely out of our price range even before his playoff run. With Q-pon emerging I am much more receptive to Wilson Chandler because if injuries come up we no longer will have a huge fall off at the position.

I don't know how a healthy Jrue and running it back with QPon and Cunningham masks Asiks offensive production. The guy is a liability. It's not like you can bury the ball in his stomach (like a runningback) and have him run it in for two. The guy is a defensive player and an offensive liability. You go from playing 5v5 on offense to 5v4 on defense.

I do wonder what he is going to work on this offseason.

I don't know how a healthy Jrue and running it back with QPon and Cunningham masks Asiks offensive production. The guy is a liability. It's not like you can bury the ball in his stomach (like a runningback) and have him run it in for two. The guy is a defensive player and an offensive liability. You go from playing 5v5 on offense to 5v4 on defense.

I do wonder what he is going to work on this offseason.
    I totally agree with this.

Thread Information