Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: N/P: OKC job is Billy Donovan's to lose

NBA N/P: OKC job is Billy Donovan's to lose

"The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    The ship be sinkin'.

Presti is so confident about his draft strategy, he's drafting coaches out of college now.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

How does this go for Durant?
    More or less likely he stays at OKC with this coach?

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    As someone posted in the Monty thread, winning cures all.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Well if they are already starting to rebuild my guess is that Durant has already told OKC he intends on leaving. The question will be do they trade Durant or just wait and let him leave on his own? A coupe of teams that may listen,

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Odds on Pelz getting Durant. I don't see how it's impossible. 15% seems right? I could see a good sales pitch for a lot of reasons why it would make sense.

I live in Northern Virginia and the Wizards fans are happy to hear this news about OKC's possible demise. They are holding out hope that KD will come home.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    Well if they are already starting to rebuild my guess is that Durant has already told OKC he intends on leaving. The question will be do they trade Durant or just wait and let him leave on his own? A coupe of teams that may listen,

wait what? why would OKC rebuild lol?

I think this means Durant is definitely open to leaving. I could see Westbrook also jumping ship to the Lakers or Knicks wanting to be in a big market or the Thunder being his team when Durant leaves allowing him to get the 5 year deal and lots of $. I don't like the fit of Durant and Westbrook so maybe they start looking for trade offers and rebuild around Westbrook. If they wanted to keep Durant I think Kevin Ollie would be the guy but you never know he mite like Donovan a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    wait what? why would OKC rebuild lol?
    Lol KD to the Knicks? FoH
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Just another move where OKC tries to prove they are the smartest guys in the room, instead of doing what they gotta do to win and dealing with the chips as they fall. The only thing that derailed this season for them was a screw in Durants foot. Just like when they took pu pu platter special for Harden before they needed to, they fired Brooks before they needed to. Ive never seen a team this proactively disfunctional. My guess, they trade Durant (again before they have to) and build around Westbrook.

How does this mean that the Thunder are rebuilding, or that Durant is leaving? They are making a move on a coach many NBA teams have attempted to, yet none could land.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Lol KD to the Knicks? FoH
    Derek Fisher former team mate . Also there is a connection with Mello. Knicks can always trade that lottery pick for him if they want him now but will wait for cap space. Lakers will have Kobe's contract off books next season as stated in that interview
    Last edited by 4Real; 04-29-2015 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    How does this mean that the Thunder are rebuilding, or that Durant is leaving? They are making a move on a coach many NBA teams have attempted to, yet none could land.
    Enlighten me on which other NBA teams wanted Billy.

Signed

Tim Floyd , Rick Pitino

First part of question is bigger market.

Signed

Chris Paul

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    If they wanted to keep Durant I think Kevin Ollie would be the guy but you never know he mite like Donovan a lot.
    It's been reported the OKC GM actually hasn't talked to Durant about any of these candidates

Enlighten me on which other NBA teams wanted Billy.

Signed

Tim Floyd , Rick Pitino

First part of question is bigger market.

Signed

Chris Paul
    He was coach of the Magic for a day, and has been tied to multiple HC openings since Florida went back to back. He isn't Coach K, Izzo, or as good a recruiter as Cal, but he is a top 5 NCAA coach.

The big market bit is played out. We're in a global economy where you can be a YouTube star from a hole in a Mountain in Siberia.

Now where does this give the impression that the Thunder are rebuilding, or Durant is leaving. Healthy skepticism at best.

He was coach of the Magic for a day, and has been tied to multiple HC openings since Florida went back to back. He isn't Coach K, Izzo, or as good a recruiter as Cal, but he is a top 5 NCAA coach.

The big market bit is played out. We're in a global economy where you can be a YouTube star from a hole in a Mountain in Siberia.

Now where does this give the impression that the Thunder are rebuilding, or Durant is leaving. Healthy skepticism at best.
    You never answered what other NBA teams have been drooling for Billy? You could say the same for your boy Buzz lightyears Williams too.

On that note

Monty>Billy
    Last edited by 4Real; 04-29-2015 at 08:36 PM.

You never answered what other NBA teams have been drooling for Billy? You could say the same for your boy Buzz lightyears Williams too.

On that note

Monty>Billy
    http://www.gatorcountry.com/florida-...n-and-the-nba/

Minny and Cleveland last year, plenty more before those two.

So strange by Presti. Gentry seems like such a no brainer - respected, loved by all, would make things FUN again for a team that presses too damn hard. Donovan might work, but he's going to cost more than 2 times what Gentry would (and OKC is always so cheap which is why they're in this mess in the FIRST place) and he might not work. Not to mention that college guys always have an adaptation period - especially in the brutal West. If things dont go smoothly Durant could have his mind more or less made up by the time they head to Toronto for the All Star break.
    "The only thing Ryno stretches is the 0's on the stat sheet." - BallSoHard

He also maybe entering an empty island if Durant and Westbrook leave or get dealt . See Boston Celtics .Just ask Brad Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I think this means Durant is definitely open to leaving. I could see Westbrook also jumping ship to the Lakers or Knicks wanting to be in a big market or the Thunder being his team when Durant leaves allowing him to get the 5 year deal and lots of $. I don't like the fit of Durant and Westbrook so maybe they start looking for trade offers and rebuild around Westbrook. If they wanted to keep Durant I think Kevin Ollie would be the guy but you never know he mite like Donovan a lot.
    You guys are crazy. There is no way that OKC would spend $6MM per year on an unproven college coach if they already know that Durant and Westbrook are out.

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinHornet View Post
    You guys are crazy. There is no way that OKC would spend $6MM per year on an unproven college coach if they already know that Durant and Westbrook are out.
    Chances are much better they stay if Ollie ( former Thunder player)gets the gig.

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinHornet View Post
    I think there is a lot of wishful thinking going on in this thread.

Thread Information