Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AD unsure if Monty returns.

AD unsure if Monty returns.

Sounds like he is pulling for his coach, but sounds like the upper management is still figuring things out...

CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

It also sounds like AD would be "ok" if he's not here...

Great to hear. They definitely need to figure something out regardless if they keep Monty or not. We can't keep this same coaching staff with current assistants as is. Either make small moves or a major move.
    I'm a grinder

He was asked point blank dosed he want him back and AD had the opportunity to flat out say YES I want him back or Of course I want him back. Instead he went on a rant about how much Monty has done since he's gotten here and how much he means to all the players. Thats all personal type stuff there sounds to me. I think he's gone and I think all players will be just fine with that. We have to get it right tho with the hire.

I get the feeling AD already knows or has a pretty good idea of what will happen to Monty and that's why he didn't flat out say he wants him back.

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    Great to hear. They definitely need to figure something out regardless if they keep Monty or not. We can't keep this same coaching staff with current assistants as is. Either make small moves or a major move.
    I agree with this, right now the only reason I would fire Monty is that we get word the Tom Thibodeau is available and that he would take the job. But if Monty stays we have to get better assistant coach's. Look around at the other playoff teams our coaching staff is a joke compared to them. We do not have one coach that another would want as their head coach.

I would also take Mike Malone

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I think parsing the words of a 22 year old for clues about what business decisions will be made my Pelican's management is a reach.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I think parsing the words of a 22 year old for clues about what business decisions will be made my Pelican's management is a reach.
    Dude is no avg 22 year old player when it comes to management telling him things.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans_fan_504 View Post
    Dude is no avg 22 year old player when it comes to management telling him things.
    He's no better than average when it comes to communicating and conveying his thoughts. It's not like he's a polished vet who has been through this before. I'm not saying he doesn't know things, I'm just saying reading into his words to try to figure out what he knows probably isn't a good use of time.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Whether or not we can read into what he says or not, I think he did a great job of saying the right things. Very well-spoken.

Monty going through same evaluation as Scott Brooks.

I think this is a a pretty telling interview . Monty is a great guy. A life coach as well as a BB coach. AD said he doesn't try to control you just gives you advice. That may be part of the problem. A young and fairly undisciplined team needs a stronger hand at the helm. To say " you DO this " rather than here's what I would do. Also AD does not emphatically come out and say " YES I want him back " Which is what you'd say when asked that while doing an interview. Weather you want your coach back or not . While I am not totally against letting Monty run it back , there MUST be changes in his staff

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Monty is a great guy and I think he is a great lead by example guy. After game 4 when the buzzer sounded AD tried to walk off the court without congratulating Golden State and Monty caught this and made him go embrace them.

If Jimmer had given Monty an endorsement nobody would care, but since it was AD, and that endorsement wasn't stronger, who knows. He is still 22, so I wouldn't expect some State of the Union Address from him just yet. He is still finding his voice in the league.

Fired or brought back, I do wish Monty well. He is a good guy, and hasn't pissed anyone off to deserve some of the vitriol some people direct towards him.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I think his answer was smart. If he says no, the narrative is that AD got Monty fired. If he says yes, the narrative is that AD wants to be GM. I would have answered the same way. The anti-Monty faction will hear and read what they feel validate their dislike for Monty.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    I think his answer was smart. If he says no, the narrative is that AD got Monty fired. If he says yes, the narrative is that AD wants to be GM. I would have answered the same way. The anti-Monty faction will hear and read what they feel validate their dislike for Monty.
    Yup, hopefully Monty gets another season.

Just a hypothetical for y'all, but if Monty gets another year (which he probably will) what does he have to do to get an extension at the end of next season, in your mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Hercule View Post
    Just a hypothetical for y'all, but if Monty gets another year (which he probably will) what does he have to do to get an extension at the end of next season, in your mind?
    Win 50 games and at least get out of the 1st round. I think that would show further improvement. you look at all the good teams now there was progression... they didn't shoot straight to the top without building something (unless you're on a team with LBJ). Accomplishing that in the West would be a good sign that we're headed in the right direction, but it will depend on what we do with the roster this summer, and above all.... the health of this team.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Win 50 games and at least get out of the 1st round. I think that would show further improvement. you look at all the good teams now there was progression... they didn't shoot straight to the top without building something (unless you're on a team with LBJ). Accomplishing that in the West would be a good sign that we're headed in the right direction, but it will depend on what we do with the roster this summer, and above all.... the health of this team.
    I disagree with the 50 wins statement. I agree with get out of 1st rd tho. 50 wins next season will likely only have u in the 8 seed. Go to the year before this one and see where 50 wins got you. If Durant isn't out for most of the year we aren't in the playoffs with 45 wins, OKC is in there with 50+ wins and Dallas is likely the 8 seed imo. We need to win 55+ games next year and get out of the 1st rd. if we wind up in the 7-8 seed again with 45-50 wins. What are the chances of getting out of the 1st rd?? Very unlikely actually.

I think if you bring him back you have to pick up his extension. You don't want to dangle him out there as a lame duck. That's unfair to Monty after the success he's had with an incomplete and injured roster.

Some of you are advocating for them to dismiss him this year, which would mean a rich guy, would have to pay Monty a years salary to NOT coach. Benson can afford it, and Monty is not one of the higher paid coaches in the league. If you extend him and it doesn't work out, Benson is still on the hook for 1 year of paying Monty NOT to coach.

The right thing to do is to send the message to the locker room that we support Monty and he will be here at least 2 more years, even if it goes bad and turns out to be only one more year.

Monty needs better assistants. They should clean house and get some really good guys on the bench with him. Mike Woodson, Nate McMillan et al would be guys that I look at. Mike Malone is another one if he doesn't land a HC job.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Monty needs better assistants. They should clean house and get some really good guys on the bench with him. Mike Woodson, Nate McMillan et al would be guys that I look at. Mike Malone is another one if he doesn't land a HC job.
    I think this is a great idea. Worked for Kerr.

Monty is the mouthpiece, the other guys are the gurus.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Bring in Thibs for defense assistant.

Bryan Gates and some of the other assistants are great. Randy Ayers needs to go and be replaced. Him and him alone IMO
    @mcnamara247

Bring mike Malone back (if possible) to try to improve this defense.

Thread Information