Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: AD unsure if Monty returns.

Why would you fire a coach that has improved each season? Dealing with all the injuries this season it is amazing we went to the playoffs and yes Monty did get 3rd place for coach of the year

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Bryan Gates and some of the other assistants are great. Randy Ayers needs to go and be replaced. Him and him alone IMO
    Why?

If he stays, we really need a coach to sort out the offense

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    I think his answer was smart. If he says no, the narrative is that AD got Monty fired. If he says yes, the narrative is that AD wants to be GM. I would have answered the same way. The anti-Monty faction will hear and read what they feel validate their dislike for Monty.
    I agree with you. Considering his age, AD gives a great interview, even in these kinds of tricky situations. I'm not sure I've ever heard him say the "wrong" thing; he's great at being diplomatic.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    Why would you fire a coach that has improved each season? Dealing with all the injuries this season it is amazing we went to the playoffs and yes Monty did get 3rd place for coach of the year
    The reason we made the playoffs has more to do with OTHER teams injuries, than ours.... Just saying.

Thibs is struggling against the Bucks in the weak East. Should he lose his job? What about Bud in ATL?
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    He was asked point blank dosed he want him back and AD had the opportunity to flat out say YES I want him back or Of course I want him back. Instead he went on a rant about how much Monty has done since he's gotten here and how much he means to all the players. Thats all personal type stuff there sounds to me. I think he's gone and I think all players will be just fine with that. We have to get it right tho with the hire.
    I think you're reading to much into it. Perhaps he doesn't want to "choose sides" while negotiations are on going with his extension. Perhaps he doesn't want to look like a disgruntled star if Monty does get the ax. AD's on record enough praising Monty to prove he's not indifferent to Monty's situation.
    Last edited by Davisistheman; 04-28-2015 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bongzilla View Post
    The reason we made the playoffs has more to do with OTHER teams injuries, than ours.... Just saying.
    This is something that needs to be stated more. I feel this Off season is gonna be huge for the future of this team success. We have to hit on ALL moves.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

It won't be this offseason. This will be the tame one.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    He was asked point blank dosed he want him back and AD had the opportunity to flat out say YES I want him back or Of course I want him back. Instead he went on a rant about how much Monty has done since he's gotten here and how much he means to all the players. Thats all personal type stuff there sounds to me. I think he's gone and I think all players will be just fine with that. We have to get it right tho with the hire.
    Yeah kind of ominous.
    SIGN A SF

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    We made the playoffs because Durant was out. We made the playoffs because the Suns blew up their roster at the trade deadline. We made the playoffs because despite ALOT of adversity, our players overcame and showed up when they had to. Everything is circumstantial, but the fact remains that we made the playoffs when we could've easily had fallen out of the race. We had a tough as hell schedule to close out the season and we OVERCAME that. Saying we made it because of injuries to other teams truly discredits what our squad fought to throughout the end of March and all of April.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    We made the playoffs because Durant was out. We made the playoffs because the Suns blew up their roster at the trade deadline. We made the playoffs because despite ALOT of adversity, our players overcame and showed up when they had to. Everything is circumstantial, but the fact remains that we made the playoffs when we could've easily had fallen out of the race. We had a tough as hell schedule to close out the season and we OVERCAME that. Saying we made it because of injuries to other teams truly discredits what our squad fought to throughout the end of March and all of April.
    Agree 100% with this.

Ignoring the injuries and turmoil of other teams also ignores key context as well.

It is why I didn't and still don't like the ultimatum of playoffs or fired or the fans trying to make the fact we made the playoffs the be all end all of the discussion on Monty as a long term answer at coach.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Ignoring the injuries and turmoil of other teams also ignores key context as well.

It is why I didn't and still don't like the ultimatum of playoffs or fired or the fans trying to make the fact we made the playoffs the be all end all of the discussion on Monty as a long term answer at coach.
    Ignoring an 11-game improvement from a team that was devoid of its star players for chunks of the season (specifically AD's 14 missed games and Jrue's 42 missed games) also ignores key context of the team's improvement under Monty.

Making the playoffs or not shouldn't be a measuring stick for Monty, I agree there. But the fact that the team had to control its own destiny and overcome hard odds of beating a motivated Spurs team with everything on the line says alot about these players and how they respond.

Good thing we remained healthy all season... Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtySouf View Post
    Good thing we remained healthy all season... Just saying.
    great response

Ignoring an 11-game improvement from a team that was devoid of its star players for chunks of the season (specifically AD's 14 missed games and Jrue's 42 missed games) also ignores key context of the team's improvement under Monty.

Making the playoffs or not shouldn't be a measuring stick for Monty, I agree there. But the fact that the team had to control its own destiny and overcome hard odds of beating a motivated Spurs team with everything on the line says alot about these players and how they respond.
    You said players? I thought we were talking coach haha? Which gets to a larger point. Did this team get to 11 more games because of Monty? Or because the players improved or found natural cohesion and the roster was better? How much does each get credit? I mean if we go to the extreme of the logic that gives the coach the majority of credit for win improvements with superstars then Spoelstra is a coach that can't be upgraded, Mike Brown is a top tier coach in this league and David Blatt is trending to be better then Phil Jackson and Popovich considering he lost his best player for 13 games.

Again though, my point was that one metric is a poor way to judge a coach. And to me, at the end of the day, it comes down to the long term viability of Monty as the coach. Which is going to require looking at more then win improvements or win regressions. Such as opportunity costs(who else is available), performance assessments, system assessment, player support, coaching potential projections, fit with the GM etc.

There is an awesome Thibs debate going on on NBA Radio. One side echoing the sentiments of he's a great coach and the other side is saying that it's popular to say he's but great but he hasn't won anything of merit. Good stuff.

http://www.wdsu.com/news/local-news/...liams/32621984

Benson pledges support to Pelicans leaders Demps, Williams
    "It was the way you all came together as team that made us all very proud," Benson said. "... Our theme this year was to 'Take Flight.' I am confident that we have begun to take flight as a team."
    Sounds like HE STAY #hiremonty

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Monty is a great guy and I think he is a great lead by example guy. After game 4 when the buzzer sounded AD tried to walk off the court without congratulating Golden State and Monty caught this and made him go embrace them.
    I don't want Monty back, but I was at Game Four and saw that scene live and I want to give Monty A LOT of credit for that. That shows that his morals are right and that he has respect for the opponent and the game. AD was young and frustrated so I give him a pass, but that was huge of Monty to stop him from leaving without shaking hands. Again, I don't want Monty back, but that was great leadership of him right there.

It is what it is at this point. We can't change what is gonna be done.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    There is an awesome Thibs debate going on on NBA Radio. One side echoing the sentiments of he's a great coach and the other side is saying that it's popular to say he's but great but he hasn't won anything of merit. Good stuff.
    I live in the Chicagoland area and they are killing Thibs right now. They clearly believe he is too stubborn to make adjustments and is heavily getting out-coached by J. Kidd.

New Orleans Pelicans owner Tom Benson on Tuesday sent a letter of congratulations to coach Monty Williams and his staff and players, along with general manager Dell Demps and his staff for the team's winning season and playoff appearance. The letter reads as follows:

"Dear Monty, Dell and all of the Pelicans Coaches and Players: I wanted to thank each and every one of you for a job well done this past season. We made the playoffs in a very strong finish at the end of the season. That is a tribute to your hard work and determination. You were able to overcome the adversities that face every team, but it was the way you all came together as a team that made us all very proud.
    Our fans were truly galvanized by your dedication. Our theme this years was to Take Flight. I am confident that we have begun to take flight as a team. We now must turn our attention to getting better and coming back for the 2015-16 season with an even stronger resolve. I am very excited about the future of our Pelicans and you have my word and my resolve to bring everything to bear to win. New Orleans deserves an NBA Championship and we have the foundation, facilities and fans to make this a reality”. Sincerely, Tom Benson

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    New Orleans Pelicans owner Tom Benson on Tuesday sent a letter of congratulations to coach Monty Williams and his staff and players, along with general manager Dell Demps and his staff for the team's winning season and playoff appearance. The letter reads as follows:

"Dear Monty, Dell and all of the Pelicans Coaches and Players: I wanted to thank each and every one of you for a job well done this past season. We made the playoffs in a very strong finish at the end of the season. That is a tribute to your hard work and determination. You were able to overcome the adversities that face every team, but it was the way you all came together as a team that made us all very proud.
    Our fans were truly galvanized by your dedication. Our theme this years was to Take Flight. I am confident that we have begun to take flight as a team. We now must turn our attention to getting better and coming back for the 2015-16 season with an even stronger resolve. I am very excited about the future of our Pelicans and you have my word and my resolve to bring everything to bear to win. New Orleans deserves an NBA Championship and we have the foundation, facilities and fans to make this a reality”. Sincerely, Tom Benson

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post

I think this makes it pretty clear Monty and Demps will be back. I am not some huge Monty fan but I am no hater either. I think the guy has the ability to be like Doc Rivers and he has shown me no reason why he can't. When he had a decent squad with CP3 he took us to the playoffs and the Lakers to a game 7 with the great Phil Jackson and a good team which is impressive since we put so much into coaching excuses. He has taken a rebuilding team and improved on it every season and to me had a great year considering all of the injuries and lack of depth for most of the season. I think over the next 2 seasons when he gets the roster he needs and natural growth of our young players we will be a top team in the NBA as serious championship contenders. We need to upgrade our staff and someone like Malone would be huge if he doesn't get a HC job somewhere he needs to be priority #1 for us. Monty is only going to get better as a coach not worse which makes me very excited about the future.

Dell Demps is my favorite of the two and I really believe he will be considered as one of the best GMs in the NBA within a few years. He has done some amazing things that people thought wasn't possible here. He has the Gordon deal looming over him and with time that will all be in the past. I believe at the time he really had no choice and that decision was most likely not fully his. We were in the middle of ownership and Gordon was the prized piece as a young star SG in the deal for the NBAs best PG in CP3. Whether it was Demps decision or not I really believe at the time there was no choice. It's easy to now say we had Davis as the face of the franchise but you need more than that. Also Davis was no guarantee to be a great NBA player at all and could have been a bust looking like a similar player to Henson. Davis has exceeded all expectations and is now the best player in the NBA going into next season with any amount of improvement if you ask me but he was no guarantee when drafted as no one is. Time to enjoy the ride supporting the staff and team because in two seasons we will be top 3 in the West. If we don't show we are contenders in that time I have no problem going with a new staff with very little time lost when our franchise player will still have plenty of years left on his contract not even in his prime yet. Go Pels!
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 04-28-2015 at 07:36 PM.

Thread Information