Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Smith article on Monty Williams future

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    If you're content with never making the finals, then by all means keep Monty forever. I have no confidence he will ever take us to where we ultimately want to go.
    This is what it ultimately boils down to. I'd seriously doubt that even Monty's staunchest defenders could ever really imagine him coaching a team to the Finals. I admire their loyalty, I really do. But I get this weird feeling of low standards surrounding our team that other fans don't seem to deal with. Like, a lot of media members think he should be fired while a decent chunk of our fans don't. That's a fairly rare thing to behold in sports.

And I know the counterargument for that is 'well, they don't follow our team like we do...' But many of the NBA national media who do know a lot about our team also don't see Monty as a great coach. At best they say he's okay...And I actually see that as a big argument from some of our fans to keep the guy. 'Well, he's not very good, but at least he's not the worst. Might as well keep him for another year. Maybe a miracle will happen, we won't have any injuries, and we'll steal a couple games in Round 1 this time.' That, more than anything, is frustrating as a fellow Pels fan. We have a legit superstar on our hands, and should be doing all we can to get an A+ coach to help him, not be satisfied with a C+ coach who is a nice guy. If Thibs is out there, or even less likely Carlisle, and we don't take them if we have the chance, we're idiots, plain and simple.

I may have missed something, and if I did please post for me...... But where are people reading that Carlisle may be available this off-season?

Quote Originally Posted by DaBrow View Post
    I may have missed something, and if I did please post for me...... But where are people reading that Carlisle may be available this off-season?
    It's little more than a pipedream. He isn't going anywhere.

If we can get Carlisle or thibs, then you go out and get Carlisle or thibs. Other than that just get better assistants
    I'm a grinder

So in summation:

Most pelicans fans want Monty to stick around, because "all other coaches are unknowns"

I think it is telling, that pro-Monty supporters typically use a lack of coaching talent as a reason to keep Monty, versus him actually doing his job well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bongzilla View Post
    So in summation:

Most pelicans fans want Monty to stick around, because "all other coaches are unknowns"

I think it is telling, that pro-Monty supporters typically use a lack of coaching talent as a reason to keep Monty, versus him actually doing his job well.
    Its reality. Is there a clear cut better coach we can hire? If not then why make a change?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilJFry View Post
    Its reality. Is there a clear cut better coach we can hire? If not then why make a change?
    You know, you don't have to hire from the coaching carousel. new coaches are hired all the time.

Think about it this way, if we go out and hire an up and comer, the worst case scenario is someone only slightly worse than Monty Williams. The best case scenario is a Calipari, a good scenario is Hornaceck. If you don't try to improve you never will.

Monty will never win a championship. so WHY IS HE HERE!?

though, to be fair, im sure people said the same type of thing about Spoelstra. But do we have to wait until AD becomes Lebron James to win a championship?

Banned
    The only reason to keep Monty around is to get AD to resign, and to be honest, I think that is what is happening.

Monty can develop players, we won't win a championship with him here, but AD's development among others (Ajinca, Qpon, DC, Reke) have all gotten better since playing here. Let Monty keep making AD great until AD gives us a long term contract and then jettison him. I think that is what Loomis is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Noggy View Post
    You know, you don't have to hire from the coaching carousel. new coaches are hired all the time.

Think about it this way, if we go out and hire an up and comer, the worst case scenario is someone only slightly worse than Monty Williams. The best case scenario is a Calipari, a good scenario is Hornaceck. If you don't try to improve you never will.

Monty will never win a championship. so WHY IS HE HERE!?

though, to be fair, im sure people said the same type of thing about Spoelstra. But do we have to wait until AD becomes Lebron James to win a championship?
    Pretty much yes. And I don't think another coach is changing that. Or at least the chances of us hiring a coach that can change that are slim to none.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilJFry View Post
    Pretty much yes. And I don't think another coach is changing that. Or at least the chances of us hiring a coach that can change that are slim to none.
    I'm not opposed to keeping Monty around a little while longer to help develop our core. But we both know that he won't win us a championship, so he has to go eventually. We can play the waiting game or we can be proactive. I think proactive is the right move, but this offseason might not be the time. They have one year on their contract, get AD to sign before the end of next year, and then we go into 2016 with a bunch of cap space and a new coach and GM that will be able to shape the team to their system.

His strategy is just terrible. There were MANY times during Game Four where I and the guy sitting next to me were screaming at him for not making obvious adjustments/strategy changes. Curry, Thompson, and Green were all nailing threes and Bogut was just stting there, and our coach can't even think, towards the end fo the game with time running out, to immediately put Bogut on the line. It wouldn't waste clock and they would probably get 1 point as opposed to 3, which was happening way too often that game. But, our coach is just terrible at making adjustments on the fly. The biggest example of that was Game Three, but it was the entire series. It was terrible. I'm sorry, Jimmy, but you are dead wrong here.

I just don't get the love for Monty from Mr. Smith. The losses (when we were healthy)to poor Eastern Conference teams was just inexcusable and cost us a higher seed.

Quote Originally Posted by stormcenter View Post
    I just don't get the love for Monty from Mr. Smith. The losses (when we were healthy)to poor Eastern Conference teams was just inexcusable and cost us a higher seed.
    But what about the wins against playoff east and western conference teams? Dumb luck?

Quote Originally Posted by stormcenter View Post
    Yup. If we beat Denver in just ONE more game (so 2/4 overall against them), Philly again, Charlotte again, Magic again, and SPLIT with the Celtics, we are in the seven seed with a very winnable First Round series against a Houston team we are 2-2 against. Sigh....

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    - but not the best Xs & Os guy.
    Perhaps it's time for Monty to make changes to his coaching bench?

Bring in a guy or two that can balance this out.

ffiw I'm in the keep Monty camp, but if X's and O's are Monty's pit fall, then the coaches we have on the bench are not complementing him and he should be able to see that and know that changes will be required or it may cost him his job.

OG Hornets Fan - Est. 1988 TxAggie713's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hercule View Post
    This is what it ultimately boils down to. I'd seriously doubt that even Monty's staunchest defenders could ever really imagine him coaching a team to the Finals. I admire their loyalty, I really do. But I get this weird feeling of low standards surrounding our team that other fans don't seem to deal with. Like, a lot of media members think he should be fired while a decent chunk of our fans don't. That's a fairly rare thing to behold in sports.

And I know the counterargument for that is 'well, they don't follow our team like we do...' But many of the NBA national media who do know a lot about our team also don't see Monty as a great coach. At best they say he's okay...And I actually see that as a big argument from some of our fans to keep the guy. 'Well, he's not very good, but at least he's not the worst. Might as well keep him for another year. Maybe a miracle will happen, we won't have any injuries, and we'll steal a couple games in Round 1 this time.' That, more than anything, is frustrating as a fellow Pels fan. We have a legit superstar on our hands, and should be doing all we can to get an A+ coach to help him, not be satisfied with a C+ coach who is a nice guy. If Thibs is out there, or even less likely Carlisle, and we don't take them if we have the chance, we're idiots, plain and simple.
    You are right on the money here... can anyone actually think of a professional sports team that the media is calling for a coach to be fired but the majority of the fan base is not? I cannot. We have a rare once in a generation player here and to have an average coach at the helm is a travesty. I am saying this as a huge fan of Monty the person... read about what he did for Ryno after his tragedy, read what the guys say about him AS A PERSON. He is truly a genuine good person, with every bone of his body, but that doesn't win games. I was at Spurs-Clippers game 4 and watched Pop a lot. He demands excellence on the court and commands respect. He absolutely rips his guys if they make mistakes from Tim, Parker, and Ginobili all the way down the roster. His guys react to that. I kept thinking to myself that what we are lacking is that guy, a Pop, Thibs, or Carlisle. Monty will never be that guy as a coach but will always be a better person than either of those 3. Being a better person doesn't win basketball games.

I think it very unrealistic to expect any coach to be Pop. In saying that, I don't think it unrealistic to use that person as someone to aspire to. But if you look at the Pels, Spurs, Mavs and Bulls records this year, it really isn't that bad. Spurs are obviously in front at 55 wins, Bulls and Mavs 50, Pels 45. Then look deeper at the Div/Conf/Home/Away

Conf - Bulls 33-19, Spurs 32-20, Mavs & Pels 29-23
    Div - Bulls, Spurs & Pels 8-8, Mavs 7-9
    Home - Spurs 33-8, Pels 28-13, Bulls & Mavs 27-14
    Road - Bulls & Mavs 23-18, Spurs 22-19, Pels 17-24

Take into account a young team, how Ryno and Reke played throughout this season on the road, on top of injuries (all teams had them). Bench changes, you would imagine an off-season for Ryno should help get his legs back. So to see an increased road performance next year would be expected right? Would this be even better due to a new coach? So considering those factors, where are the extra wins from Carlisle and Thibs better coaching? Could Thibs bring a better Conference record to the west? Monty has the better home record, tied Div record, and Conf record has the Eastern Conf team out front, with Pop only 3 wins better and Carlisle tied with Monty. Where are they giving us more wins? It's not even a defense of Monty, it's more that if those coaches will make us better, show me how and where. I agree we would definitely be playing a different style with them, but that doesn't = more wins. If you don't like the style Monty plays, well that's a different conversation and I won't argue as that is subjective. I'm not saying Monty is as good or better than others, I'm just struggling to see where those coaches people are mentioning are going to add more wins than Monty, considering with their own teams they aren't miles ahead (excluding pop).

Quote Originally Posted by Bongzilla View Post
    So in summation:

It's not pro Monty supporters. It's people with a clue and an understanding of the landscape.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by davidg123 View Post
    His strategy is just terrible. There were MANY times during Game Four where I and the guy sitting next to me were screaming at him for not making obvious adjustments/strategy changes. Curry, Thompson, and Green were all nailing threes and Bogut was just stting there, and our coach can't even think, towards the end fo the game with time running out, to immediately put Bogut on the line. It wouldn't waste clock and they would probably get 1 point as opposed to 3, which was happening way too often that game. But, our coach is just terrible at making adjustments on the fly. The biggest example of that was Game Three, but it was the entire series. It was terrible. I'm sorry, Jimmy, but you are dead wrong here.
    I'm sure you and the guy next to you knows more about basketball than Monty. Surprised they didn't hire you for your "obvious adjustments".

Let's compare Monty to a top 3 coach ever. Keep going please.

I'll say it again. Why fire a coach that has brought improvement every year? It would be dumb to fire a coach that brought us to the playoffs for another coach that has not proved anything!

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    I'll say it again. Why fire a coach that has brought improvement every year? It would be dumb to fire a coach that brought us to the playoffs for another coach that has not proved anything!
    Why replace a player that has shown improvement every year?

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Why replace a player that has shown improvement every year?
    Which player are you talking about? By the way pretty big difference between a coach and a player

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    Which player are you talking about? By the way pretty big difference between a coach and a player
    There are logistical differences, but Im just pushing back against the notion that you don't replace someone simply because they have shown improvement. If you have a guy thats ceiling isn't really that elite and you have the ability to get a clear improvement you don't turn that down simply because the guy you have showed some improvement.

At the end of the day you all that want to keep Monty have gotten your wish. Based on Benson's letter he isn't going anywhere. They seem to see things differently then me and that is ok. I haven't been very happy with ownership since the onset so this is more of a continuation of it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    Where are they giving us more wins?
    In the playoffs.

Do you think Poppovich would've gotten swept?

Thread Information