Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Smith article on Monty Williams future

Pelicans Jimmy Smith article on Monty Williams future

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s..._most-comments

The New Orleans Pelicans would be foolish to duplicate the Oklahoma City Thunder's mistake.

There is no surety that team ownership will evaluate Monty Williams' performance this season and conclude that the coach did an outstanding job steering a once-foundering team into the postseason.

But they should.

A coaching change for the Pelicans would be a monumental blunder.

Williams doesn't deserve to meet the same fate as the Thunder's Scott Brooks, who was sent to the coaching gallows though he had his team in the hunt until the final day despite the fact that OKC played without the reigning most valuable player, Kevin Durant, for most of the season, then lost Serge Ibaka down the stretch.
    Though the ubiquitous internet trolls might disagree, Williams did a remarkable job with a flawed roster that seemingly needed to be continuously tweaked throughout the season in an effort to erase lingering imperfections and compensate for unforeseen injuries.

Television analyst and former NBA head coach Jeff Van Gundy, who was an assistant with the New York Knicks when Williams broke into the league as a player, said the job Williams did with the Pelicans this year is beyond praise-worthy.

"You know what? More so than any strategy, I think Monty's greatest strength is his equilibrium," Van Gundy said last week before working the Pelicans' first game against the Warriors. "I think it showed in his team when (Anthony) Davis went out and they played well.

"That, to me, is the most remarkable thing about their season. I just don't think when you go through a major rebuilding project, for whatever reason, you ever get the credit when you're a pretty good team. People always nit-pick what they think could have led to more wins. And I'll say this: I think Monty has absolutely maximized their talent level. All the injuries, you're forced to trade a transcendent start like Chris Paul and what you got back at the end of the day was very little. It's incredible what Monty and his staff had to endure.

"To me, the validation is not the win over San Antonio (to capture the eighth playoff spot). The validation is your star standing up after the game and professing his love for you on national TV. To me, there's nothing that speaks more as to why Monty Williams is a great coach and his ability to connect to a great young player."

Something to think about now. Firing Monty would send us backwards not forward. If we fire Monty we are basically starting all over again. How do you feel?
    Last edited by 4Real; 04-27-2015 at 09:29 AM.

Sorry, but I didn't even read once I saw Jimmy Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    Having Jimmy Smith arguing my side of an argument really makes me re-think my position.
    I'm guessing he reads this board.

Banned
    Maybe we can trade Monty for Van Gundy?

I'm not convinced that Monty Williams is the long term answer for this team. However, given the injuries he dealt with coupled with the fact that he has continued to improve the team's record every year since Davis has been here, I can certainly say that he should get the benefit of the doubt and be given at least one more year. I know some want to give all the credit to Anthony Davis and his natural progression, but no one can say with certainty which is most responsible.

One thing I've seen, the players play for him. They may still make stupid mistakes (not fouling at the end of game three), but they haven't quit on him. If Monty's not the guy, we'll see this team's progress plateau out. It hasn't yet. To fire him now would be unfair to Monty, and would be a bad look for the Pelicans front office.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    Firing Monty would send us backwards not forward. If we fire Monty we are basically starting all over again. How do you feel?
    That really depends on who he's replaced with. The players were happy with Marc Jackson last year in Golden State, do you think any player would want to go back now? There are 3 coaches that are consistently credited with maximizing the talent they have, Pop, Carlisle and Thibs, and the rumors are that 2 of those guys might be available this offseason. Do you really stick by Monty if you have a shot at a coach who on paper is an instant upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    I'm not convinced that Monty Williams is the long term answer for this team. However, given the injuries he dealt with coupled with the fact that he has continued to improve the team's record every year since Davis has been here, I can certainly say that he should get the benefit of the doubt and be given at least one more year. I know some want to give all the credit to Anthony Davis and his natural progression, but no one can say with certainty which is most responsible.

One thing I've seen, the players play for him. They may still make stupid mistakes (not fouling at the end of game three), but they haven't quit on him. If Monty's not the guy, we'll see this team's progress plateau out. It hasn't yet. To fire him now would be unfair to Monty, and would be a bad look for the Pelicans front office.
    Excellent post, IMO.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    BP225 ... The GS players were not happy with Marc Jackson. In fact, there was a lot of dislike, which even came up again when a few players were asked about him recently.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s..._most-comments

Something to think about now. Firing Monty would send us backwards not forward. If we fire Monty we are basically starting all over again. How do you feel?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Not true of the star player.

These two men are still friends; Curry still credits Jackson for lifting the Warriors out of the muck; and in fact, Steve Kerr gained credibility with Curry by praising Jackson from the moment Kerr took the Warriors job.

...It had to be Curry, who a year ago declared that he would be very unhappy if Jackson was fired. Curry was, more than ever, the key to everything.
    http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakam...on-steve-kerr/

The situation here could be similar to Mark Jackson with Golden State and Lionel Hollins in Memphis. They both had successful teams making the playoffs but a change was needed to really put those teams over the top. I can see the same thing happening here but I do not think this is the time. Monty guided this team to the playoffs despite the injuries, lack of depth for half the season, and playing in an insane conference and the toughest division in the history of the league. The team has improved each year, exceeded expectations this season, and his players love him. Doesn't sound like a guy who deserves to lose his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Welksta View Post
    The situation here could be similar to Mark Jackson with Golden State and Lionel Hollins in Memphis. They both had successful teams making the playoffs but a change was needed to really put those teams over the top. I can see the same thing happening here but I do not think this is the time. Monty guided this team to the playoffs despite the injuries, lack of depth for half the season, and playing in an insane conference and the toughest division in the history of the league. The team has improved each year, exceeded expectations this season, and his players love him. Doesn't sound like a guy who deserves to lose his job.
    he has a lot of similarities to Mark Jackson from an approach standpoint. A lot about faith & being a players coach - but not the best Xs & Os guy. I don't think a better option is available so I give him at least another year

Good Article, good read, Monty should stay
    The Only way to get ahead is to get started.....What you waiting for!

Not saying he will or anything, but how great would it be to see Monty win a ring as our coach? You really want to root for the guy to succeed when you read about who he is as a person

BP ... Bogut and some others hated him and there was probably a divide in the locker room.

Awful article. Lots of assertions and little substance. If you want to knock the Thunder and Brooks then address the actual reason he was fired. Not the strawman you think is easier to knock down.

I certainly don't like Monty long term, can see why management would possibly part with him and do see coaches that would immediately be an upgrade, but I also think that, like Brooks, he wouldn't be fired strictly for his performance, but like the thunder, it would be because long term they don't have faith he is the answer. Which is how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    BP ... Bogut and some others hated him and there was probably a divide in the locker room.
    Pretend I only said Curry, because the point people are making is that AD loves Monty therefore you should be afraid to fire him. Curry, the franchise player for Golden State, went a step further than declaring his love for his coach, he said if you fire him I'll be unhappy. Winning cures all. If you replace Monty with an upgrade everything will be fine. If you miss on the replacement then there could be trouble. I brought up Carlisle and Thibs because both should be upgrades, much more of a sure thing than a college coach or assistant. Hire one of those and have the team win 55 games next year and AD will be happy.

gotcha

Though the ubiquitous internet trolls might disagree, Williams did a remarkable job with a flawed roster that seemingly needed to be continuously tweaked throughout the season in an effort to erase lingering imperfections and compensate for unforeseen injuries.
    QFT

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    If you're content with never making the finals, then by all means keep Monty forever. I have no confidence he will ever take us to where we ultimately want to go.

"And though he defers the credit, it was Williams' tactical acumen that put the Pelicans into the playoffs this year, diagramming that after-time-out play on Feb. 6 in Oklahoma City that resulted in Anthony Davis' game-winning 3-pointer that gave New Orleans the tie-breaker over the Thunder for the eighth playoff spot as both teams finished with identical 45-37 records."

LOL. Yeah that great open look.

He's the same guy who wrote the Pels would not make the playoffs with 30 games left.....enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash View Post
    "And though he defers the credit, it was Williams' tactical acumen that put the Pelicans into the playoffs this year, diagramming that after-time-out play on Feb. 6 in Oklahoma City that resulted in Anthony Davis' game-winning 3-pointer that gave New Orleans the tie-breaker over the Thunder for the eighth playoff spot as both teams finished with identical 45-37 records."

LOL. Yeah that great open look.
    That was designed for Davis on the block, and he had single coverage on the block, but Tyreke hesitated, so Davis leaked out and the rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by stormcenter View Post
    He's the same guy who wrote the Pels would not make the playoffs with 30 games left.....enough said.
    So did Stephen A Smith. Tim Legler, Bill Simmons, Charles Barkley,Michael Wilbon, Tony Kornhole, Jalen Rose, Jeff Duncan, Chris Broussard, and everyone else in media

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    If you're content with never making the finals, then by all means make a play for Thibs. I have no confidence he will ever take us to where we ultimately want to go.
    FIFY
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Thread Information