Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The FOs ear....

The FOs ear....

Just a inquiry about this forum regarding the team. Wondering about how much the FO pays attention to this forum and BSS, and even gleans information from us to factor into their FO decisions?

Not saying that we give them all their ideas, but are we possibly a legit source of info for potential players and moves, and because of the analysis that is done we take some of the groundwork out for the Dealer Demps?

I'm curious about how much attention is being paid to us, because MM just had a couple hits on potential pick ups from last year. Very intriguing....
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Absolutely none. Imo.

I am not sure of it. You may look and read what You want.

My friend from Poland last year become the scout of Denver Nuggets (he is the youngest scout from NBA). He is prepearing materials for European based players. He has prepeared data for f.e. Jusuf Nurkic.
    He said that every FO is full of people who are checkin' everything. From the players perepective (social network), from the fans perspective. Cause many of them (scouts) started as a fans, with their own vision of team/league.

I am personaly sure that Dell and his guys are checking BSS, and read some stuff of f.e. MM...

I'd say 1% or less
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

They might do it for the sake of thoroughness, but I highly doubt and sincerely hope they don't depend on it.

I know for a fact they read some. How much they "care" or learn, I have never asked, but they care enough to read and remember.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    If I worked for a group with an online forum is check it out just to see what people were talking about.

But I'd never make a decision based off it.
    @DanielVeuleman

All smart people know that inspiration can come from anywhere. There are a ton of intelligent fans and that number is going more and more. Like most people I don't think FO people are surfing looking for fans to make their decisions, but any great decision maker wouldn't leave any stone unturned.

I've said it before. If checking and reading the forums gives you a 1% increase in job effectiveness then you would be crazy not to.

That gives you an advantage over every other team that doesn't, and puts you on even footing with every team that does, for only the cost of time.

Think about how many hundreds of hours have been spent breaking down a player, or potential trades, or FAs, or coaches. While it all needs to be parsed to remove the arguing and other fluff there is still plenty of valuable information.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I've said it before. If checking and reading the forums gives you a 1% increase in job effectiveness then you would be crazy not to.

That gives you an advantage over every other team that doesn't, and puts you on even footing with every team that does, for only the cost of time.

Think about how many hundreds of hours have been spent breaking down a player, or potential trades, or FAs, or coaches. While it all needs to be parsed to remove the arguing and other fluff there is still plenty of valuable information.
    All done, by people not qualified. No offense to anyone, but coaching high school or below, and writing about basketball does not make you qualified on an NBA level. Compared to most of the world? sure. Compared to the elite knowledge possessed by actual NBA minds? Not so much.

I can start my own blog tomorrow on how to breed dogs to cats, it does not mean I have a clue.

Take your basic fan, and give him hundred and hundreds of hours to build a house. Tell me how that works out for you? Would you buy it?

I doubt that ownership and management reads anything here. Now they probably have a few stooges who are paid to comb through and see if there is any idea worth investigating.

But....
    My opinion is a real organization is going to do fact based research, versus the opinion based "research" of internet forums.
    Last edited by Bongzilla; 05-17-2015 at 07:22 AM.

I'm Keyser Söze.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Bongzilla View Post
    All done, by people not qualified. No offense to anyone, but coaching high school or below, and writing about basketball does not make you qualified on an NBA level. Compared to most of the world? sure. Compared to the elite knowledge possessed by actual NBA minds? Not so much.

I can start my own blog tomorrow on how to breed dogs to cats, it does not mean I have a clue.

Take your basic fan, and give him hundred and hundreds of hours to build a house. Tell me how that works out for you? Would you buy it?

I doubt that ownership and management reads anything here. Now they probably have a few stooges who are paid to comb through and see if there is any idea worth investigating.

But....
    My opinion is a real organization is going to do fact based research, versus the opinion based "research" of internet forums.
    Agree 100%

But....

It makes sense, and when I think about it, a lot of the articles on BSS regarding potential moves are gauging and guessing what kind of moves Demps would make based on philosophies that he follows and behavior in the past.

So perhaps there is correlation between the moves Demps makes, but not causation.

I do feel that this forum and the BSS, TBW etc give us readers a very priveliged position to get insightful and somewhat insider information.

It really becomes useful when you have offseason moves or things like this happen, and you can get perspective quickly on whats happening instead of the white noise by the typical media outlets.

They read.

Trust me, they read
    @mcnamara247

But....
    No one is saying base their decisions off of forums/sports blogs. I gave it a possible 1% increase to overall production. 1%.

I fully recognize that the large, large majority of people have no clue and only add to the fluff that needs to be parsed through. However, That does not mean that all information on the blogs and forums is worthless. How exactly are fans and writers different than unpaid interns who spend hours researching players and prospects?

If a team gleans just 1 idea from a blog or forum does that not put them at an advantage over every other team that doesn't use the Internet as a resource? Why would they not attempt to use every possible means to gain an advantage?

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    I'd say 1% or less
    I would agree with this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny how the ones with facts are ignored by the ones who clearly have no facts while simultaneously denigrating the work of others as opinions.

Absolutely amazing.

A
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    No one is saying base their decisions off of forums/sports blogs. I gave it a possible 1% increase to overall production. 1%.

I fully recognize that the large, large majority of people have no clue and only add to the fluff that needs to be parsed through. However, That does not mean that all information on the blogs and forums is worthless. How exactly are fans and writers different than unpaid interns who spend hours researching players and prospects?

If a team gleans just 1 idea from a blog or forum does that not put them at an advantage over every other team that doesn't use the Internet as a resource? Why would they not attempt to use every possible means to gain an advantage?
    I agree with this, I actually thought the op was posed as "does the FO read our forums to help them make their decisions". I don't think they do. Do they read different forums? I Think they would. I don't think when some tough decisions come up, that they run to the Internet to read forums tho. Lol

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    If it were my organization I'd have an intern read everything that's out there and summarize it in a one page report that I can read or not read in less than 2 minutes.

I don't want my GM reading everything that BSS or Zach Lowe or Mythrol or N.O. Bronco writes and being influenced one way or the other, but I also don't want them to be completely ignorant to the conversations going on in the ether.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    42, I was thinking the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Funny how the ones with facts are ignored by the ones who clearly have no facts while simultaneously denigrating the work of others as opinions.

Absolutely amazing.
    Bingo

Blog Entries
    As others have said, decision makers in the front office definitely read BSS. We know this. But obviously it's hard to quantify how much, if any, impact it has on their decision making.

As far as PR goes, it's the biggest pelicans dedicated forum. It's been around forever. Hugh Weber (Hornets president at the time) went out of his way to try to better the relationship between this site and the team about 5 years ago. Clearly he cared about the general tone of the board, although I don't know to what extend he/an intern actually delved into 10 page long threads.

Long story short-- IMO BSS has the ability to impact actual decision making far more than PR, however PR is a more useful tool to gauge the general opinion of fans.
    audaci favet fortuna (Thanks, Harvey)- Fortune favors the bold.
    R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl
    Bourbon Street Shots
    Saints247
    @GerrityJoe

My Real Estate Brokerage--WeSellNola.com
    My Vape Stores-- Crescent City Vape

It's called crowd sourcing. If you aren't finding a way to take advantage of it your competitors are.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    It's called crowd sourcing. If you aren't finding a way to take advantage of it your competitors are.
    Truth.

The problem with crowd sourcing is the problem with democracy. Some people aren't fit to govern themselves (or their basketball team). Some people know more than others. Many people were very loud about wanting to fire Monty. Weather he deserved to be fired or not, I worry that the front office may make decisions based off of fan's perspective.
    Only a couple seasons ago the owner of the Warriors was boo'd off the court in his own stadium by his own fans for trading Monte Ellis to make more playing time for Stephen Curry. Let that sink in.

We all have our perspective and we all with the front office would listen to us, but I hope they don't because they should (I mean, if they don't we're doomed) know more than us every day of the week.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Thread Information