Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Pelicans plan to offer Anthony Davis 5 year $140 million extension

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    It would be between 30 and 50. He would make about 18 mil less in 2016. Then, he would get a 4 yr deal that starts at a much smaller number and only have 4.5% raises instead of 7.5%.
    Basically, he'd have to REALLY hate New Orleans not to sign.

All the details were written here about 9 months ago.

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...oving-forward/
    I think you linked the wrong article.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    I think you linked the wrong article.
    I think this is the one he meant to link:

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...eans-pelicans/

Business is about money, no?

If he doesn't take that deal this July and tries to angle out, he is looking at losing close to $50 million.

The Pels have all the leverage. And although I have been told many times that New Orleanians have this fear instilled in them that the worst case scenario will always come to light, this is not one of those things to worry about.

Could he demand a trade after 4 more years, when he has just one guaranteed year left on his 2nd deal (like CP3 did)? Yes, very possible. But not before then. Meaning the Pels have 4 years to turn this team into a sustainable contender.
    Or he could get whatever deal from a big market team and lose out on 50 mill in NBA money, and get a KD-like shoe deal (200+ million) that he may not have gotten while playing in New Orleans.

Business is about money, yes, but it doesn't have to be only about NBA money.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Or he could get whatever deal from a big market team and lose out on 50 mill in NBA money, and get a KD-like shoe deal (200+ million) that he may not have gotten while playing in New Orleans.

Business is about money, yes, but it doesn't have to be only about NBA money.
    Yes because KD is in that mecca of the media Oklahoma City. There is no way that AD can come anywhere near the popularity of KD while stuck in the backwaters of New Orleans when there's mega metropolises like Oklahoma City around.

Exactly. Obviously the market does not dictate the sponsor contracts anymore. The quality of the player does that
    @mcnamara247

I think Big markets in LA and NY definitely allow stars more exposure if they are interested in seeking it out. Just due to the infrastructure and logistics. East coast bias does exist. But i think it is also untrue that smaller market teams can't gain exposure. KD and Westbrook prove that. Both are enjoying media exposure and endorsements. Shaq's star power didn't start in LA and it didn't end when he went to Phoenix or Cleveland. LBJ is another example.

To me the difference between a smaller market and a larger market is ultimately relatively marginal. CP3 in New Orleans probably doesnt get the State Farm commercial and some of the TV appearances. Curry maybe doesnt get the Jamie Foxx commercial. Then again maybe he does? The Boston big 3 happening in Minnesota probably gets a bit less coverage and maybe a couple less national appearances.

But the notion that there is an additional 50 million on the table going from a small market to a big market is a little preposterous to me.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 04-28-2015 at 02:04 PM.

I read an article that said that Pau Gasol's endorsement money went up around $750k when he left Memphis and went to LA. I'll try to find it to link it.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Great! Give him as much money as he wants to stay!!!

Yea I'm 100% positive AD would make more $ on endorsements being in LA or NY. Still he won't be making that much of a difference from what he will get here with a shoe deal in the near future. His contract here out weighs what he will get in endorsements from those markets compared to here big time. I don't know exactly what Davis shoe deal looks like now but it will blow up very soon you can bet that. I wonder what that difference in CP3 endorsements on shoes has been since he left here for LA. I doubt it's that much really.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 04-28-2015 at 05:28 PM.

CP3 wins playoff series in NOLA and I think he gets that State Farm commercial. To me, that is the difference. If you have the same amount of success, you will get more shine in NY or LA. But if you are winning at a high level, you will get national commercials regardless of where you are. If AD has faith we can do that here, and he does, he will make all the money he could ever want.

AD is already getting Foot Locker commercials and Red Bull endorsements, and he's barely hit the big stage yet as far as the NBA is concerned. I think he's getting plenty of pub and the endorsements will fall to him if we're winning. Drew Brees is not hurting for endorsement deals, in spite of playing in New Orleans.

Thread Information