Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans plan to offer Anthony Davis 5 year $140 million extension

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar

Rumor Pelicans plan to offer Anthony Davis 5 year $140 million extension

NEW ORLEANS -- With star forward Anthony Davis eligible for a contract extension this summer, Pelicans officials plan to be aggressive as possible in presenting him with a maximum five-year deal that could approach $140 million, according to league sources.

The exact figures will depend on how much the NBA salary cap deal actually rises, but sources told ESPN.com that the Pelicans indeed intend to present Davis with the biggest offer they can once the window for negotiations opens July 1.

The Pelicans would then have until Oct. 31 to convince Davis to sign a five-year deal that makes him their Designated Player.

----

And thanks to the league's most recent salary cap projections -- which will spike dramatically when money starts flowing in from the NBA's new nine-year, $24 billion TV deal that kicks in starting with the 2016-17 season, Davis can thus be presented with a five-year pact that will eventually top $30 million annually and potentially approach $140 million in total value.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12...s-maximum-deal

Wowzas.

I mean, I want to do whatever to keep AD here, so if this is what it takes then so be it. But these salary cap increases are absolutely ridiculous.

Worth every penny but I don't know how we can field a championship Caliber team in this market with someone making that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SIGN A SF

Quote Originally Posted by All Metro View Post
    Worth every penny but I don't know how we can field a championship Caliber team in this market with someone making that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's not that much. It is essentially the current Derrick Rose rule contract in the future cap market.

The reason it seems like so much is because we are accustomed to contracts with today's cap. The Pels will be giving him 30 percent of the 2016 cap and given how much the cap is supposed to increase the following two years as well it will be a bargain.

how does this play w/ the new money about to come up?
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

AD will be worth every penny. Pay him Demps!

I want AD to go into this offseason with a positive mindset to learn from the battles and bruises he took over the course of this year. Everybody counted us out, but we won and got in. All AD needs to do this summer is put on some more weight and develop a low-post game.

Quote Originally Posted by TPDG22 View Post
    AD will be worth every penny. Pay him Demps!

I want AD to go into this offseason with a positive mindset to learn from the battles and bruises he took over the course of this year. Everybody counted us out, but we won and got in. All AD needs to do this summer is put on some more weight and develop a low-post game.
    Agreed.....With his contract out the way...he can recruit guys to NOLA to play with him.....

Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post

He's the Special Man...."Let him have it"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    He's the Special Man...."Let him have it"

WITH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PROBLEM

All the details were written here about 9 months ago.

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...oving-forward/
    @mcnamara247

With his production and most importantly his growth over these 3 season this deal is a no brainer. He has made me a believer. I finally see a player that can consistently dominant a game based on his own offensives skill set.

It's certainly not the Spurs model (their players buy into taking power contracts for the betterment of the team), but you can certainly win with giving out max contracts (Lakers, and Celtics have recently done it).

I have no problem with this deal.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    With his production and most importantly his growth over these 3 season this deal is a no brainer. He has made me a believer. I finally see a player that can consistently dominant a game based on his own offensives skill set.
    He's still got a ways to go in the finer points of offense. But better believe he can be dominate.

He is totally worth every penny of that.

Season Team Lg Salary
    1997-98 San Antonio Spurs NBA $2,967,840
    1998-99 San Antonio Spurs NBA $3,413,000
    1999-00 San Antonio Spurs NBA $3,858,240
    2000-01 San Antonio Spurs NBA $9,660,000
    2001-02 San Antonio Spurs NBA $10,865,250
    2002-03 San Antonio Spurs NBA $12,072,500
    2003-04 San Antonio Spurs NBA $12,676,125
    2004-05 San Antonio Spurs NBA $14,260,641
    2005-06 San Antonio Spurs NBA $15,845,156
    2006-07 San Antonio Spurs NBA $17,429,672
    2007-08 San Antonio Spurs NBA $19,014,188
    2008-09 San Antonio Spurs NBA $20,598,704
    2009-10 San Antonio Spurs NBA $22,183,220
    2010-11 San Antonio Spurs NBA $18,700,000
    2011-12 San Antonio Spurs NBA $21,164,619
    2012-13 San Antonio Spurs NBA $9,638,554
    2013-14 San Antonio Spurs NBA $10,361,446
    Career (may be incomplete) $224,709,155

Yeah, not the Spurs model...

Coulda just bumped the thread from a year ago when MM said the exact same thing.

At least this ESPN article isn't floating the idea of AD turning it down and walking to LAL.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    It's certainly not the Spurs model (their players buy into taking power contracts for the betterment of the team), but you can certainly win with giving out max contracts (Lakers, and Celtics have recently done it).

I have no problem with this deal.
    You mean the Spurs player do it now that they aren't in their primes anymore. Trust Leonard is going to accept nothing less than the well deserved max.

Quote Originally Posted by LOLLakers View Post
    It's not that much. It is essentially the current Derrick Rose rule contract in the future cap market.

The reason it seems like so much is because we are accustomed to contracts with today's cap. The Pels will be giving him 30 percent of the 2016 cap and given how much the cap is supposed to increase the following two years as well it will be a bargain.
    Is it 2016 or 2017 that his new salary would take effect?
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    You mean the Spurs player do it now that they aren't in their primes anymore. Trust Leonard is going to accept nothing less than the well deserved max.
    There is no doubt that Leonard is going to demand the max, and depending on if they want LMA they will go max there as well, but over the last few years Manu, TP, and Duncan have all taken less money to keep winning. Doesn't mean they don't give out mad deals, but they don't go crazy with deals either.

It doesn't have to be the Spurs model either though. You aren't going to win much if your are replicating somebody else's system while that somebody else is still doing their thing. It's like Jay Z said, "Hove's a living legend and I'll tell you why, everybody wants to be Hove, but Hove is still alive." There can only be one Highlander, go your own way.

Is anyone else just glad that this deal will mean that Tyreke Evans isn't the highest paid player on this team.

Makes sense, and was expected.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Is anyone else just glad that this deal will mean that Tyreke Evans isn't the highest paid player on this team.
    Um. He's never been our highest paid player.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Um. He's never been our highest paid player.

Sorry, meant largest guaranteed contract.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/NOP.html

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    All the details were written here about 9 months ago.

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...oving-forward/
    Its flat out amazing how ahead of the national media you are sometimes

I just can't blame davis if he turns that down.What the organization can offer him to guarantee a future contending team? evans? gordon? jrue?

Thread Information