Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans plan to offer Anthony Davis 5 year $140 million extension

Quote Originally Posted by IVAN_NOH View Post
    I just can't blame davis if he turns that down.What the organization can offer him to guarantee a future contending team? evans? gordon? jrue?
    Your missing the biggest factor, Monty.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by IVAN_NOH View Post
    I just can't blame davis if he turns that down.What the organization can offer him to guarantee a future contending team? evans? gordon? jrue?
    Oh ye of little faith.

Pelicans' Anthony Davis says he will look at upcoming contract talks as 'a business'
    http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...-power-forward

Not going to lie.... I'm pretty scared.
    looking for team to bandwagon, pls help

Quote Originally Posted by dcoop View Post

Here's the part that catches my eye.... and I do think they need to make him part of that. Isn't that what most teams do with their franchise player?

But he also intimated Sunday that he would like to be part of decisions on improving the team.

“Whatever (General Manager Dell Demps and coach Monty Williams) do, I’m going to be supportive,” said Davis, an All-Star starter who just completed his third season. “We’re all men. If I see something as the leader and the franchise player, I got to go to them and say, ‘Let’s do this or do that.’ And they come to me like, ‘Well, AD,’ or whatever. That’s how it works. We have to work hand-in-hand to try to make this thing go.”

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    Here's the part that catches my eye.... and I do think they need to make him part of that. Isn't that what most teams do with their franchise player?
    I missed that part, that bold part you quoted makes me feel miles better.

I would almost guarantee Monty and Dell being back after seeing some of his comments. I don't see Davis bringer to happy and wanting to sign if we fire and let go of both guys. I don't see how he turns that contract down since it has never happened but you never know.

Won't he be "just" be a restricted free agent at the end of his rookie contract? So we offer him what no team can match anyway? We still have plenty to keep adding players out there. And yes, let him chime-in on things, especially recruiting players.
    Last edited by Tip-Off; 04-26-2015 at 07:50 PM.

No way Davis takes that extension.

Best we can hope for is a 3 or 4 year deal with a PO, or ETO.

Honestly, I'd tell him if he signs the max 5 year extension he can run the team behind closed doors like Lebron. He won't get that kind of power anywhere else, and that's really all we can offer him that he can't get elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPelicanFly View Post
    No way Davis takes that extension.

Best we can hope for is a 3 or 4 year deal with a PO, or ETO.

Honestly, I'd tell him if he signs the max 5 year extension he can run the team behind closed doors like Lebron. He won't get that kind of power anywhere else, and that's really all we can offer him that he can't get elsewhere.
    It will be a 4 year deal with a 5th year player option. Meaning he will be under contract for 5 years, with an opting for a 6th starting this upcoming season

And that gives the Pels 4 years to win big before he has the leverage to start demanding a trade
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    It will be a 4 year deal with a 5th year player option. Meaning he will be under contract for 5 years, with an opting for a 6th starting this upcoming season

And that gives the Pels 4 years to win big before he has the leverage to start demanding a trade
    I'm new, not stupid. Bet he asks for shorter.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar

will be a fun 4 years! unlike many on here, i plan to enjoy every minute - with monty on the sideline.

I'm old and stupid. Didn't the owners put a fail-safe clause in the latest CBA to prevent great young players from simply bolting to a major market as early as possible. I think 4 years is the minimum with a players option on the 5th year similar to Gordons current contract?

4 very exciting and fluid years.

remember each year off of a deal is less security in case he has an injury. This would be 140million in guarunteed money. I don't see him turning that down when he will still have tons of options in those final years.

Quote Originally Posted by dcoop View Post

He sees it as business, which in my mind, translates to the most money.

If i was offered upwards of 140 million dollars to be a teams franchise player, and someone suggested I should go elsewhere or shorten the deal and not get as much, you can bet I'd promptly punch them in the face.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    If i was offered upwards of 140 million dollars to be a teams franchise player, and someone suggested I should go elsewhere or shorten the deal and not get as much, you can bet I'd promptly punch them in the face.
    It's just the dumbass media trying to give themselves some sort of hope that AD goes to Los Angeles or New York. When it comes to this League the media is so embarrassing with how subtle, or lack thereof, they are with their intentions.
    Last edited by kinglio21093; 04-27-2015 at 12:51 AM.

if it is business - he will not earn more from the others. so points for us.

he knows he is a franchise player he knows that he will have 'power'. he knows that everybody loves him...

he qualified for PO, he tasted it. he has seen team development and power of our fans...

no way that he will turn down our offer

there might be little chance of that happening when/if NO will fire Monty and will replace him with some Avery-type coach.
    if/when we will change the coach and will replace him with good coach - Calipari,Thibs etc, he will understad what is the goal...

I think he will take a 4 year deal with a PO for the 3rd year, allows him the best combo of garunteed money and flexibility on his next contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    I think he will take a 4 year deal with a PO for the 3rd year, allows him the best combo of garunteed money and flexibility on his next contract.
    No it doesn't, because you can only get a Rose rule contract if it is 5 years.

The contract will be 5 years, with the 5th year being a PO

AD is gonna make the decision that AD wants to make, and there's little we (the organization) can do about it. I'd hate to see him go, but if he wants to leave for say... a "bigger market"... then that's a possibility that we'll have to deal with. When he said "like a business" that's the first thing I thought of.

So if AD decides he wants to leave, then we'll have to do some sign-and-trade deal that's not gonna leave us high and dry if he does bounce. And I hope we don't have to go through another rebuild if he does leave.

business-wise it is the only way
    he will have 4 (plus 1) deal, so the most he might receive (only from NO)
    and his deal will start when cap will rise...

1+1=2
    at least 4 great years...

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    AD is gonna make the decision that AD wants to make, and there's little we (the organization) can do about it. I'd hate to see him go, but if he wants to leave for say... a "bigger market"... then that's a possibility that we'll have to deal with. When he said "like a business" that's the first thing I thought of.

So if AD decides he wants to leave, then we'll have to do some sign-and-trade deal that's not gonna leave us high and dry if he does bounce. And I hope we don't have to go through another rebuild if he does leave.
    Business is about money, no?

If he doesn't take that deal this July and tries to angle out, he is looking at losing close to $50 million.

The Pels have all the leverage. And although I have been told many times that New Orleanians have this fear instilled in them that the worst case scenario will always come to light, this is not one of those things to worry about.

Could he demand a trade after 4 more years, when he has just one guaranteed year left on his 2nd deal (like CP3 did)? Yes, very possible. But not before then. Meaning the Pels have 4 years to turn this team into a sustainable contender.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Business is about money, no?

If he doesn't take that deal this July and tries to angle out, he is looking at losing close to $50 million.

The Pels have all the leverage. And although I have been told many times that New Orleanians have this fear instilled in them that the worst case scenario will always come to light, this is not one of those things to worry about.

Could he demand a trade after 4 more years, when he has just one guaranteed year left on his 2nd deal (like CP3 did)? Yes, very possible. But not before then. Meaning the Pels have 4 years to turn this team into a sustainable contender.
    Mac, why would AD lose $50M?

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Mac, why would AD lose $50M?
    It would be between 30 and 50. He would make about 18 mil less in 2016. Then, he would get a 4 yr deal that starts at a much smaller number and only have 4.5% raises instead of 7.5%.

Thread Information