Pelicans Report

Thread: Why the MLE will be devalued moving forward

Why the MLE will be devalued moving forward

The MLE has been a useful tool to get fringe starters or high level backups in the past, but I don't think that will be the case moving forward. Here's why

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...oving-forward/
    @mcnamara247

MM, for once I agree with you, but I suspect Cunningham will have other suitors, especially after his very good performance vs the Warriors. I didn't keep an exact count, but I believe he was 9-for-11 and 3-for-3 with 17 boards during the four games.

There is also a gambit the Pelicans can play that will appeal to Dante's basic appreciative nature: they bailed him out of what amounted to a league-wide blackball because of his domestic problems and the fact all NBA teams at that time were totally leery of hiring a player who was in any way implicated in a situation (see Ray Rice, etc.).

Cunningham will not be likely to forget that gesture and he obviously repaid it with his usual all-out effort.His season will not go unnoticed by NBA teams, but he still will be a cheap date when compared to others on the Pelicans roster. Something else in DC's favor: In six seasons he has missed only a handful of games because of injury. He owes it to himself to seek out his best financial deal because he's the second-oldest player on the current NO roster. Getting to the "big" money in yet another season may not be that important to him; he needs a decent deal right now.

Why the MLE will be devalued moving forward

Am I drunk?

"Or, you can target a player who is probably worth $3-$4 million currently, overpaying him in the first year with the idea that you will be paying him proper value when the cap goes up. A guy like K.J. McDaniels fits this profile,"

How did this line make it in the article?

We have had conversations on this guy multiple times throughout the year and suddenly he's a possible MLE target? It's official. Game 3 scrambled MM's brain.

I've got to tweet him and find out what's going on. Lol.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 04-26-2015 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Am I drunk?

"Or, you can target a player who is probably worth $3-$4 million currently, overpaying him in the first year with the idea that you will be paying him proper value when the cap goes up. A guy like K.J. McDaniels fits this profile,"

How did this line make it in the article?

We have had conversations on this guy multiple times throughout the year and suddenly he's a possible MLE target? It's official. Game 3 scrambled MM's brain.

I've got to tweet him and find out what's going on. Lol.
    I give people examples they are familiar with in my pieces. I don't pound the drum for guys I want necessarily.

That's what I use this board for. On BSS, I usually attempt to get inside the head of Dell and/or Monty and project forward. With pretty decent success, I might say.

According to Larry Coon's CBA FAQ, "In the previous CBA the Mid-Level exception was tied to the average salary. This is no longer the case."

That would have allowed the MLE to "keep up with inflation," so to speak. I would think both the players (more money) and organizations (teams over the cap could still add serviceable players) would want this. Does anybody know why they changed this?

Quote Originally Posted by greewe View Post
    According to Larry Coon's CBA FAQ, "In the previous CBA the Mid-Level exception was tied to the average salary. This is no longer the case."

That would have allowed the MLE to "keep up with inflation," so to speak. I would think both the players (more money) and organizations (teams over the cap could still add serviceable players) would want this. Does anybody know why they changed this?
    I would assume owners would not want this. MLE contracts are usually among the worst given out in retrospect.

Just another battle the owners won in that negotiation

I don't think it will change that much. It's value has always been that it's the largest contract teams without cap space, also known as playoff teams, can offer. Now will there be more temptation than before to take more money with bad teams? Sure, but the way things typically go the top guys take all of the air out of the room, so I suspect the $10+ million players will get richer more than the MLE level players will graduate to a higher pay grade outside of cap exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    I don't think it will change that much. It's value has always been that it's the largest contract teams without cap space, also known as playoff teams, can offer. Now will there be more temptation than before to take more money with bad teams? Sure, but the way things typically go the top guys take all of the air out of the room, so I suspect the $10+ million players will get richer more than the MLE level players will graduate to a higher pay grade outside of cap exceptions.
    While I somewhat agree with this, I think the days of guys taking 4 year MLE deals are practically over. Just makes no sense. I think it can have some value, but as a 1 or 2 year contract

So with the increased cap considerations, where does the MLE rank among contracts now, are they the new vet min?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Food View Post
    So with the increased cap considerations, where does the MLE rank among contracts now, are they the new vet min?
    Once cap skyrockets, they will be worth the equivalent of what 3.5 mil is right now.

At first, the MLE will be kind of useless. Later, it'll be as valuable as it is today whether they adjust the salary up much or not because it will be one of the only ways for a team over the cap to make a decision to add a player and needing to involve only that player.

Thread Information