Pelicans Report

Thread: ESPN: Swept... but AD & the Pelicans have arrived

ESPN: Swept... but AD & the Pelicans have arrived

http://espn.go.com/blog/nba/post/_/i...s-have-arrived

Commissioner Adam Silver, who was on hand to witness Davis’ greatness in Game 4, has to agree. He surely noticed the league is in good hands with Davis as its greatest big man. The league should do better next season than to bury the Pelicans on the national-TV schedule like they did this season. Davis’ play demands it.

In the end, the Pelicans will likely stand pat with Dell Demps as general manager and Williams as head coach because that’s what teams typically do with an impressive playoff push like that. This is a team that hails from the 52nd-largest TV market in the country and barely has to feel the twist of national scrutiny. The playoff appearance brings respect, but soon the magnifying glass will follow.
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

I am fine with Demps but we really need to move on from monty. Enough of feeling sorry for him because he seems like a nice guy. Time to get a real coach in here.
    I'm a grinder

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    I am fine with Demps but we really need to move on from monty. Enough of feeling sorry for him because he seems like a nice guy. Time to get a real coach in here.
    Until Monty stop showing progress, he will be here.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Until Monty stop showing progress, he will be here.
    Unfortunately I feel this is true no matter how minimal the progress is.

I don't think it's unfortunate. I think it's a smart play. How many times are you going to play the coaching and culture change to the fans and players and it stick? You only get 1 shot at a coaching change. Also, i know you don't like him, and we're all due our own vision on things, but he's not the worst thing out there by far.

I wouldn't call a +11 in the W column "minimal"

So, who do you bring in ? 11 gm improvement and playoffs, with all the injuries and trades....give me a break

Honestly it very frustrating that the NBA are such **** riders as it pertains to national spotlight. Not just because it doesn't work for the Pelicans. Part of the reason that the league has a parity issue is because how the league treat certain franchises.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    I don't think it's unfortunate. I think it's a smart play. How many times are you going to play the coaching and culture change to the fans and players and it stick? You only get 1 shot at a coaching change. Also, i know you don't like him, and we're all due our own vision on things, but he's not the worst thing out there by far.
    I know he is not the worst but you have to agree that he is far from the best. I was pulling for Monty from the beginning but reality has set in that he just isn't good enough. There are certain coaches who can get you only so far and I feel he is one of them. The golden state situation keeps coming to mind. I thought they were crazy r fire mark Jackson with their limited success and star players loving him but in comes Kerr and that team loOKs DRAMATICALLY improved. So much so that it is sad to say that you wouldn't be incorrect as to say they under achieved during mark Jackson's tenure. I'm just thinking there is a coach out there who could better utilize our teams players that's all.

It pisses me off when I read the comments on that article as well. First thing everyone says is, AD's not going to sign his extension. He'll be in a bigger market soon. And I understand that thinking. But then they go on to talk about New Orleans being a bad place to play, and that we have bad ownership and an unstable situation. Its the same ownership the Saints have, and I don't see anyone saying their situation is unstable. We're probably more stable now regarding the NBA than we ever have been, and I mean including the Jazz years in the 70's.

I know he is not the worst but you have to agree that he is far from the best. I was pulling for Monty from the beginning but reality has set in that he just isn't good enough. There are certain coaches who can get you only so far and I feel he is one of them. The golden state situation keeps coming to mind. I thought they were crazy r fire mark Jackson with their limited success and star players loving him but in comes Kerr and that team loOKs DRAMATICALLY improved. So much so that it is sad to say that you wouldn't be incorrect as to say they under achieved during mark Jackson's tenure. I'm just thinking there is a coach out there who could better utilize our teams players that's all.
    Or, it could just be another year of continuity and health. If Curry and Green had each missed 25 games, and Klay Thompson had missed 40+ games, would they still have been the #1 seed? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    Or, it could just be another year of continuity and health. If Curry and Green had each missed 25 games, and Klay Thompson had missed 40+ games, would they still have been the #1 seed? I don't think so.
    Kerr's changes optimized that team. Jackson would not of gotten the same results.

I think the idea of progress being the sole metric to keep someone is a foolish one. Like the Warriors the team probably would of improved the next year with Jackson at the helm. No question. But hiring Kerr provided a better growth curve and raised that teams ceiling because Kerr is a better coach that better understood how to use that talent and get the team to succeed in that better system.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 04-26-2015 at 02:44 PM.

It pisses me off when I read the comments on that article as well. First thing everyone says is, AD's not going to sign his extension. He'll be in a bigger market soon. And I understand that thinking. But then they go on to talk about New Orleans being a bad place to play, and that we have bad ownership and an unstable situation. Its the same ownership the Saints have, and I don't see anyone saying their situation is unstable. We're probably more stable now regarding the NBA than we ever have been, and I mean including the Jazz years in the 70's.
    Not sure why people place so much emotions into national media(really any media at all). It's designed for entertainment purposes (at best) not educational ones.

What player in the history of the league in Davis' position has turned down a max extension. If anything half thorough he might try to force a trade. Almost no way he looks 140 million in the face and says no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Not sure why people place so much emotions into national media(really any media at all). It's designed for entertainment purposes (at best) not educational ones.

What player in the history of the league in Davis' position has turned down a max extension. If anything half thorough he might try to force a trade. Almost no way he looks 140 million in the face and says no thanks.
    I don't know, Throne, maybe it depends on where you live. I know a lot of people here don't live in New Orleans, they just follow the team as a fan. I've lived here my entire life. So yes, I do take it personal when someone says my city isn't good enough to keep a player like AD.

I semi care what they say and think because the general population reflects what they say and believe causing people to believe what they are saying

I don't know, Throne, maybe it depends on where you live. I know a lot of people here don't live in New Orleans, they just follow the team as a fan. I've lived here my entire life. So yes, I do take it personal when someone says my city isn't good enough to keep a player like AD.
    I feel you. It's like they immediately want to **** on new orleans. I would rather live in the N.O. more than a lot of other places that have basketball teams i.e. Detroit ,Philadelphia, Minnesota, Milwaukee, Orlando, Charlotte, d.c , Oklahoma City, dallas, boston and Memphis.

I agree that the media ought not to be taken seriously, but he was referring to comments on behalf of fans.

I guess my point is I don't care with people say. Especially when I know they have agendas.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets2013 View Post
    I agree that the media ought not to be taken seriously, but he was referring to comments on behalf of fans.
    Clearly I missed that point. Either way random people commenting deserves even less validation.

I just think you can't blame people for taking offensive comments offensively, especially when it seems to be a fairly common sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Kerr's changes optimized that team. Jackson would not of gotten the same results.

I think the idea of progress being the sole metric to keep someone is a foolish one. Like the Warriors the team probably would of improved the next year with Jackson at the helm. No question. But hiring Kerr provided a better growth curve and raised that teams ceiling because Kerr is a better coach that better understood how to use that talent and get the team to succeed in that better system.
    I agree with your sentiment that putting so much stock into progress being the sole metric. There is no doubt that we have one more games each season, arguing that would be like arguing that the blue sky is black.

But before AD even got into the league Larry Brown was quoted as saying,"It doesn't matter where he (AD) goes, he will improve a team by 50 wins." Now obviously that didn't come to fruition, but the sentiment that he would improve a team by a large number of wins is not. While we have won more games each season, AD has one of the highest win shares in the NBA. Monty is responsible for our winning, but he is helped greatly by AD. Could another coach not get the same results with the 2nd or 3rd best player in the NBA?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets2013 View Post
    I just think you can't blame people for taking offensive comments offensively, especially when it seems to be a fairly common sentiment.
    My point is why? Why be upset over stupidity? Sure I guess if you want to suggest someone has the right sure. But at the end of the day what's the point. People will still have a narrow perspective and the league itself deserve a lion share of the blame.

My point is why? Why be upset over stupidity? Sure I guess if you want to suggest someone has the right sure. But at the end of the day what's the point. People will still have a narrow perspective and the league itself deserve a lion share of the blame.
    Don't get me wrong, you make a good point, because it really is BS. But I can see why they take it personally when hearing that kind of BS so regularly. Some people are less able to simply invalidate that kind of nonsense than others and just let it be.

How many games did Bogut miss last season?

Thread Information