Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Monty has kept family from going to home games b/c fans boo him

Pelicans Monty has kept family from going to home games b/c fans boo him

New Orleans Pelicans coach Monty Williams continued to express appreciation for the franchise’s fans at the end of the season despite hearing boos during introductions at the two home playoff games. But when the boos and heckling were a concern in the regular season, Williams actually told his wife, Ingrid, that it was best that she and their five children stay home.

“There have been times where I told her to stay home. And that bothered me that I had to tell my wife and kids to stay home because our fans were booing me and we were winning games. That’s the only time that bothered me.”
    also of note...

Pelicans CEO Mickey Loomis, who also runs the New Orleans Saints, was in Williams’ office after the season-ending loss. Williams will be in the final year of his contract next season and there have not been contract extension talks, sources said. Neither Loomis nor any executive in the Pelicans organization has made a public proclamation stating that Williams will be back next season. Williams’ agent Steve Kaufmann declined comment.

Williams, however, is “100 percent confident” he will be coaching the Pelicans next season.
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

As disheartening as that sounds, when the fans start booing you when you are winning then I believe it's time for a coaching change.

Yeah for all my criticisms of the guy I never once would even consider booing him from the arena.

I mean if a guy is here, and you are at the game, I am going to support you. I mean what does booing him accomplish?

It would have to be some extreme, long-term incompetence to ever throw a loud boo at someone on our team. Even then I'm not sure it's in my nature.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    As disheartening as that sounds, when the fans start booing you when you are winning then I believe it's time for a coaching change.
    So let me get this straight, because we have terrible fans, and let's be honest, we have more terrible fans than we'd like to claim, we should make a coaching change?

That's ridiculous.

I sit near two fans that berate Monty the entire game and they usually sound (and look) like morons who have no clue what's going on or grasp of context or situation. But sure, let's let them decide.

The Franchise    Contributor   

That Loomis was in his office immediately last night should give us an indication that we will know very soon if he goes or stays. They aren't going to sit and think about it for a few weeks, whatever the decision is they are going make it quickly. Or it means nothing and Loomis goes in there every night.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Yeah for all my criticisms of the guy I never once would even consider booing him from the arena.

I mean if a guy is here, and you are at the game, I am going to support you. I mean what does booing him accomplish?

It would have to be some extreme, long-term incompetence to ever throw a loud boo at someone on our team. Even then I'm not sure it's in my nature.
    Yep. Exactly this. Because of where my seats were the past few years in relationship to the team anytime I heard a fan boo a player/coach I tried to cheer louder for them.

I've been to sporting events where something needed to be booed. The head coach or a player of YOUR team is not that, ever.

AD for MVP 2016! pmarpelicansfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    So let me get this straight, because we have terrible fans, and let's be honest, we have more terrible fans than we'd like to claim, we should make a coaching change?

That's ridiculous.

I sit near two fans that berate Monty the entire game and they usually sound (and look) like morons who have no clue what's going on or grasp of context or situation. But sure, let's let them decide.
    Im not one to be very confrontational, at all, but if someone I sat next to was booing the home team (and wasnt their to see the away team) I would have to let them know how much of a P.O.S. the are.
    I mean really you have to be a spoiled little brat or a real scumbag to come out to a game as a fan, and boo your own team???

This is a shame. I'm sorry that his family had to endure this from some knuckleheads. It is just a game.

Williams is already up to his last year?? I thought we just resigned him to 4 years, though this was his second year done

In all honesty while I do get on monty (whether at home or at SKC) I never boo him. Sometimes I question rotations or not calling time outs during 10-0 runs etc. However, I do not think you fire monty unless you have a clear cut candidate that in your honest belief, can provide an absolute drastic upgrade.

I have been concerned with the "fans" of the Pelicans since the teams arrival in New Orleans. They seem to have no loyalties and a bucket list of complaints (Golden State fans always remained supportive through lean years). It makes total sense that players, when given the opportunity, leave for teams with better fans. My stomach turned with how they harassed CP3 until he left. There were many on this board who said they would not view game 4 of the playoffs at home because of team dissatisfaction. I think if NBA fans were ranked, New Orleans would come in last (Brooklyn and Atlanta also have less than ideal fans also). The fans make a mockery of themselves and the team. Many so called Pelicans "fans" don't deserve a team, much less a winner, as they are more entertained by degrading their players and coaches. This is a toxic environment for success.

There was this thing where everyone thought Monty was the worst coach imaginable. that took off over a year or two. Since then we've learned that isn't true. He isn't a world beater but hes not bad, but some people came up with the conclusion he HAD to go long ago. And it doesn't matter what he does from now on, they're set in that conclusion. I've seen a few on these board kind of flip from, he's the worst to, ok hes not great but who out there is better? I applaud that. What i dont applaud is nailing down an opinion as gospel and sticking to it when there's been some evidence to say you may not be right.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

I wouldn't boo him either because that seems ridiculous in all aspects. I can't stand him as a coach, but still no need to boo the man.
    I'm a grinder

maybe Chris Trew got the wrong tickets 1 day and heckled the Pelicans too much

Quote Originally Posted by PelicansBay View Post
    I have been concerned with the "fans" of the Pelicans since the teams arrival in New Orleans. They seem to have no loyalties and a bucket list of complaints (Golden State fans always remained supportive through lean years). It makes total sense that players, when given the opportunity, leave for teams with better fans. My stomach turned with how they harassed CP3 until he left. There were many on this board who said they would not view game 4 of the playoffs at home because of team dissatisfaction. I think if NBA fans were ranked, New Orleans would come in last (Brooklyn and Atlanta also have less than ideal fans also). The fans make a mockery of themselves and the team. Many so called Pelicans "fans" don't deserve a team, much less a winner, as they are more entertained by degrading their players and coaches. This is a toxic environment for success.
    Please. This goes on in every professional sports city.

Fans are going to be critical and the ones who voice a dissenting opinion "deserve" a team as much as you do.

Unless something drastic happens next year, Monty's legacy here will be Game 3.
    asdfghjkl;'

I feel like a lot of the boos are triggered by the local and national media's negativity toward Monty and the front office. If this is a true reason we will always have these fans booing until there is a change

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PelicansBay View Post
    **** off.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Matrix View Post
    Unless something drastic happens next year, Monty's legacy here will be Game 3.
    I don't think so as long as there's continued improvement and we start becoming real contenders

now if we fall off the face of the earth next season and regress badly... then yes game 3 will become his legacy

Our fans suck.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash View Post
    Please. This goes on in every professional sports city.

Fans are going to be critical and the ones who voice a dissenting opinion "deserve" a team as much as you do.
    My point is, what type of team do these fans feel they "deserve"? The fan base is too impatient to properly build a contending team with staying power. Golden State built through the draft (Curry, Thompson, Barnes, Green). I am sure the masses would of demanded Dell's head if he had picked Noel (especially since ha had to sit a season with an injury). To satisfy his audience's thirst for instant success; I'm sure a plug and play player like Trey Burke would of been the pick anyway. I'm sure the same "fans" would have been in an equally acrymonious mood had the team selected Saric the following year (another player Dell was rumored to have interest in; the eventual pick of Philly to complete the Holiday deal). I understand why the team is built like it is, this is exactly the team these "fans" deserve.

Be happy to have the best young player in the league. Support a young team that overcame many obstacles this season to make the playoffs ahead of schedule (was either home game a sell out?). Home is supposed to be a teams safe haven, not a collection of non-supportive detractors. If the Pelicans fans were behind the team like Jimmers' fans are behind him, then the franchise would have something special.
    Last edited by PelicansBay; 04-26-2015 at 02:25 PM.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post

This.

Even more so for me personally after my college years. I got the chance to know a good bit of the athletes personally and become good friends with some...I'm sure a lot of you here can say the same. Most of them are good, regular people aside from being on the field. I'd NEVER boo them for that reason, and also because at the end of the day, it's just a freaking game.

Same goes for harassing players over social media. I'll never forget how Jordan Jefferson (know him from high school) got ridiculously harassed on FB & Twitter after that NC game. Whatever opinions you had of him on the field you're entitled to have, but the stuff hurled at him were out of line.

Booing is lame. Getting up and leaving (or just not showing up) sends a more effective and more pc response.

Sad thing is Monty isn't a bad guy or the anti-Christ, he is an honestly good guy. I imagine for these people (who boo Monty) it all stems from they themselves being yelled at while working their shifts at BK.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Booing is lame. Getting up and leaving (or just not showing up) sends a more effective and more pc response.

Sad thing is Monty isn't a bad guy or the anti-Christ, he is an honestly good guy. I imagine for these people (who boo Monty) it all stems from they themselves being yelled at while working their shifts at BK.
    Highly doubt that to be accurate. Those particular fans are probably rooting for him.

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    Highly doubt that to be accurate. Those particular fans are probably rooting for him.
    Majority of those fans that showed up to the game were die hard Saints fans. They have been through this many times. They knew the end result once Curry hit that shot.

Thread Information