Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Offseason 2015

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    And his agent wouldn't be willing to take that. He will get something closer to Asik than most think.

5-6 million is nothing in the new cap era. People need to readjust what prices mean moving forward.
    When does that era start and what is the new cap number and the amount of total revenue the players get?

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    When does that era start and what is the new cap number and the amount of total revenue the players get?
    2015-2016 the cap should be $67 mil (up from $63 mil this year), and the 2016-2017 cap should be $80 mil.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nb...p-projections/
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

And contracts this year will be signed with the new cap in mind. Agents aren't going to take 3 or 4 year deals based off of next years cap. They are going to get their guys deals that are fair for the exploding cap.

That is part of the reason I think the MLE is pretty much worthless starting this year
    @mcnamara247

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    And contracts this year will be signed with the new cap in mind. Agents aren't going to take 3 or 4 year deals based off of next years cap. They are going to get their guys deals that are fair for the exploding cap.

That is part of the reason I think the MLE is pretty much worthless starting this year
    I think Dell's proclivity for trading draft picks has to be considered.

You can't rule out Dell giving up a top 3 protected 2016 pick (similar to what we gave up to get Asik), and if necessary pairing it with Gordon, Anderson, or Tyreke to get a player we can't conceive of at this moment, either on the wing or in the post.

This is just like last year when you wanted to run the MLE tournament because you were locked into this notion that the Pelicans were limited.

They are not. Two expirings, Tyreke's old cap deal perceived to be more of a bargain with new cap, and a future pick give us more flexibility than you account for.

Expiring contracts are only valuable during the season, not the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    Expiring contracts are only valuable during the season, not the offseason.
    Correct. Non or partially guaranteed contracts are what is valuable in the offseason

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I think Dell's proclivity for trading draft picks has to be considered.

You can't rule out Dell giving up a top 3 protected 2016 pick (similar to what we gave up to get Asik), and if necessary pairing it with Gordon, Anderson, or Tyreke to get a player we can't conceive of at this moment, either on the wing or in the post.

This is just like last year when you wanted to run the MLE tournament because you were locked into this notion that the Pelicans were limited.

They are not. Two expirings, Tyreke's old cap deal perceived to be more of a bargain with new cap, and a future pick give us more flexibility than you account for.
    I have to say it before it happens...
    If Dell trade another pick I'm going to lose my mind. I know he's deep into "young veteran" and this roster doesn't fear aging, but you can't forfeit draft that long without hurting your future. Especially with the salary cap booming, there's a need to keep these affordable contracts and the possibility to keep a young talent for at least 6 years, that's really important for small markets team.

Correct. Non or partially guaranteed contracts are what is valuable in the offseason
    Only correct if we're talking about a team making the trade only for the value of the expiring. As in a Gerald Wallace type owed $10m next season.

But expiring contracts of players that still provide on court value in addition to future cap flexibility are valuable at any point in the season. You get that players talent without the usual long term commitment/risk that comes with it.

Why do you think that's less valuable than a non or partially guaranteed guy a team will cut?

It's actually apples and oranges.

Only correct if we're talking about a team making the trade only for the value of the expiring. As in a Gerald Wallace type owed $10m next season.

But expiring contracts of players that still provide on court value in addition to future cap flexibility are valuable at any point in the season. You get that players talent without the usual long term commitment/risk that comes with it.

Why do you think that's less valuable than a non or partially guaranteed guy a team will cut?

It's actually apples and oranges.
    But then, we are talking about player value. I am saying that if teams want to dump money, and not be good, non-guaranteed contracts are more valuable. Example, X team wants to blow it up - Cleveland will have a huge leg up on everyone due to B. Haywood's contract. Now, you are right, if a team wants to give up a good player and stay good, then having quality players with expiring contracts could help us. But that is far more rare IMO.

Look, the "anything is possible" argument is impossible to defeat. But I am just saying that if people are expecting a big move, I think February of 2016 or July of 2016 are FAR more likely than July of 2015. But I do believe one is coming in the next 15 months for the record.

But then, we are talking about player value. I am saying that if teams want to dump money, and not be good, non-guaranteed contracts are more valuable. Example, X team wants to blow it up - Cleveland will have a huge leg up on everyone due to B. Haywood's contract. Now, you are right, if a team wants to give up a good player and stay good, then having quality players with expiring contracts could help us. But that is far more rare IMO.

Look, the "anything is possible" argument is impossible to defeat. But I am just saying that if people are expecting a big move, I think February of 2016 or July of 2016 are FAR more likely than July of 2015. But I do believe one is coming in the next 15 months for the record.
    Ha! You had me nodding along in agreement after most of the 1st paragraph. But then you characterized the belief that Dell will make a trade this summer to acquire a player as an "anything is possible" argument while making the bold prediction that something big will happen in the next FIFTEEN MONTHS!

Well hell, MM, "anything is possible" in the next 15 months, including Rita Benson taking over and hiring Bill Simmons as GM.

When was the last time Dell didn't make an offseason trade to acquire better talent? At this point, it's foolish to expect the man not to make a move.
    Last edited by NMThreeMVP; 04-26-2015 at 10:38 AM.

If Demps is back I expect pretty much more of the same.

If we get a new GM I can see a complete rebuild.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 04-26-2015 at 04:57 PM.

I still think that a sign and trade for Monroe that ships ryno to Detroit is not unreasonable. Not sure I want Monroe still but I think it is one of the few major move possibilities that doesn't seem far fetched.

Though I could see Monroe straight going to a place like LA or something too.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    tyreke isn't a starter or 6th man, he's a chess piece u can use anywhere.
    Hopefully on a different team
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Run it back. Continuity is your offseason addition and it helps more than any player we can realistically get would
    I'm ok with a run it back idea but my things are this. I don't believe in an extension for Monty , You know I don't believe he's the guy to get us to the finals. But i'd be willing ( if I were the Owner ) to bring him back next yr , I know all about the lame duck, but he's not really . He get's a yr to show what he can do with a HOPEFULLY healthy squad , I would like a shake up of his ast coaches , maybe a strong offensive coach. If he he does well he gets a new contract
    The other think is Asik . I understand we have cap limitations and who's out there and that they don't want to come here. Our cap limitations will improve along with who's available in the next yr or two . I don't want to be stuck with Asik after next yr when our cap and who's available improves. Asik 's offensive liabilities to me outweigh he defensive abilities . I would be ok with signing Asik to a 1-2yr deal and find our real starting C then. I know most don't have any faith in AA , but if he improves next yr as much as he did this yr , I think he'd be in the mix . Give me your opinions cause I always have much respect for them

The key in all of this is, who will our GM be next year? If it's Demps, and he is on a 1 year extension, do you think he just "runs it back" with this group?

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    The key in all of this is, who will our GM be next year? If it's Demps, and he is on a 1 year extension, do you think he just "runs it back" with this group?
    I think there's less than 1% chance that Demps is back on a 1/year extension. That would be the worst possible move the franchise could make this off season.

I would rather it be a Dell is here for a while or he's gone. A GM can't work on a 1yr contract

Just an fyi. I thought it was pretty cool/funny. My gfs mom is the unofficial nurse of the saints/pels so she did their exit checkups this morning (she really wanted them to win because she was at jazz fest all day yesterday). She was all excited bc AD said she was the best. The funny part was that apparently Norris Cole was scared of getting blood drawn and AD walked up to him and said, "come on man. I'll walk in with you." And they all went out n got sake last night but were all super polite and not hungover. I always remember the story she told me that cp3 vomited in her trash can and was super hungover after their spurs series loss. She also said that these players were all very nice and that the hornets players were much more standoffish.

It would be good to see the Pels front office secure a young big man who can protect the paint, is not afraid to take a few hits to secure position, can rebound and bring some real toughness inside. One that could form a partnership with AD and take some of the defensive heat. There has to be some serviceable young players like that emerging that the Pels can get hold of

I'd give Dell a 2 year extension and Monty a 1 year extension. That would lock them both up through the end of 2016/17 season. They've both earned it. And if it goes bad you not tying up too much money and you still have time to course correct and sway Davis before he's an UFA.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    It would be good to see the Pels front office secure a young big man who can protect the paint, is not afraid to take a few hits to secure position, can rebound and bring some real toughness inside. One that could form a partnership with AD and take some of the defensive heat. There has to be some serviceable young players like that emerging that the Pels can get hold of
    Can Embid and Noel play together? We'll find out next year, but I doubt it. Will be interesting to see how Philadelphia resolves that situation and if either become available next season or next offseason.

Will also be interesting what Minn does with Pekovic. And what Spurs do with Splitter if they go into rebuild mode this off season.

Kevin Seraphin is also someone I'd try and target, and maybe Miami moves Whiteside before he relapses and/or becomes an UFA.

Can Embid and Noel play together? We'll find out next year, but I doubt it. Will be interesting to see how Philadelphia resolves that situation and if either become available next season or next offseason.

Will also be interesting what Minn does with Pekovic. And what Spurs do with Splitter if they go into rebuild mode this off season.

Kevin Seraphin is also someone I'd try and target, and maybe Miami moves Whiteside before he relapses and/or becomes an UFA.
    I would def not want Splitter as our starting center. He's too similar to Asik in terms of athleticism. He's better on offense than Asik but he's nothing special. He's overvalued bc he's on the spurs and that makes people look better than they are.

If you resign Demps, does he bring in his own guy? If a new GM is brought in does he bring his own guy, or give Monty a 40 game ultimatum?

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    If Demps is back I expect pretty much more of the same.

If we get a knew GM I can see a complete rebuild.
    This team doesn't need a complete rebuild. That would pretty much guarantee AD was gone. We just got swept but we showed that we're not far off from the best team in the league. All the games were close and they should've won game 3 obviously and that would've changed game 4. This team, when healthy, is probably one piece away. A solid center that can finish a pick n roll actually.

On a side note, I have no idea how people can NOT like what Demps has done. He got Vasquez for Quincy, who was not good at the time. He got friggin Ryan Anderson by giving up Gustavo Ayon in a sign and trade. A great move. Also, he got Ayon from the Mexican league and made him seem like a decent nba player. He also traded Brad Miller and some other goon for Robin Lopez...a great move. Then he made the Jrue trade which I still like. The only reason it's debatable is bc Jrue has been injured. That's not on a GM. Jrue had missed 14 total games in his first 4 years in the league. That's just unlucky. Noel also missed his first 82 games so...He then flipped Lopez and Vasquez for Tyreke. Tyreke is better than both of them and has a higher ceiling (he's only 25 years old!!). He averaged the highest assists of his career this season, 3rd most points, and 2nd highest 3pt pct. The only questionable thing he really did was the Asik one and maybe Rivers but hindsight is 20/20. Rivers was projected to be drafted around when he did. That wasn't some crazy reach. Add in getting Norris Cole, getting Quincy back, getting rid of Austin Rivers, signing Dante, finding Ajinca, Dell deserves to still have a job for at least a couple more years. We have a good roster.

I also think Monty should be back for another year with maybe some option for a second year. He earned another year by making the playoffs and it seemed like he was evolving his coaching throughout the season and wasn't just stuck in his ways like a guy like Byron Scott was.
    Last edited by ThaTerrapin; 04-26-2015 at 04:33 PM.

Personally I'm very satisfied with Dell. I think he has a good eye for potential and made some very important moves for us. All things considered, I feel pretty optimistic about the roster we have to work with. But every lineup is a work in progress. That's why we have GM's in the first place.

Thread Information