Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is Montys job still secure?

Is Montys job still secure?

What do you guys reckon? I think it is, he really has no excuse to still be the head coach especially in this league, but this team doesn't operate like the NBA does.
    But does ADs connection and making the playoffs have an effect on whether he stays or goes?

Also would you gamble on scott brooks?

I'm not one to commit and say Monty is "the guy" to win us anything, but I think he's earned another year. I know a lot of other disagree, but i feel like he's mat his marks and he deserves it.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

I think Brooks is a no go. He seems more like Spoelstra than anything (able to win when the talent is there, not able to when its not). There are better candidates out there, but who, time will tell if Monty is not brought back.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Let's wait and see.
    2017-2018 Finals MVP: Jrue Holiday

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I think Brooks is a no go. He seems more like Spoelstra than anything (able to win when the talent is there, not able to when its not). There are better candidates out there, but who, time will tell if Monty is not brought back.
    Perhaps, but at the same time, talent is there with us.

The question is, will anyone on the team listen to anything he has to say? At this point is doesn't even matter about who really screwed this up. Everything still goes to the leader...the head coach.

I don't know. After this loss, I just don't see how they keep him. They probably will, but what happened tonight is inexcusable, and unforgiveable. Like others have said, he really screwed up down the stretch after coming out of the gates swinging. If OKC had the balls to fire Brooks after an injury riddled season, despite how good that team was during his amazing 7 year run, then I think management needs to show their cajones and fire Monty. It's time for a change. It really is.

Were is MM I would love to see his thoughts on everything.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Scott Brooks is too much the popular answer for me to be comfortable with that.

I think Tavares is done. But I wouldn't get upset if we brought him back for one more go.

But I'm not afraid to say I'd see a pattern where it's always another excuse to give him another shot. We're chipping and chipping away, when we need to be making grander leaps. One thing is clear.

Next year, has to be a year where we aren't fighting for a playoff spot, but what seed we'll be. Cannot afford to take any steps backwards, unless we get hit even harder by injury. Which would be hard to imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Scott Brooks is too much the popular answer for me to be comfortable with that.

I think Tavares is done. But I wouldn't get upset if we brought him back for one more go.

But I'm not afraid to say I'd see a pattern where it's always another excuse to give him another shot. We're chipping and chipping away, when we need to be making grander leaps. One thing is clear.

Next year, has to be a year where we aren't fighting for a playoff spot, but what seed we'll be. Cannot afford to take any steps backwards, unless we get hit even harder by injury. Which would be hard to imagine.
    Yes exactly. A pattern that is happening right now and had been. I mean good god this guy is the 4th longest tenured head coach in the NBA and he has a losing record. I mean am I in a twilight zone or what?? How the hell does that happen and has it EVER happened before?

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    Yes exactly. A pattern that is happening right now and had been. I mean good god this guy is the 4th longest tenured head coach in the NBA and he has a losing record. I mean am I in a twilight zone or what?? How the hell does that happen and has it EVER happened before?
    His losing record should be understandable to anyone who's followed this franchise. What's not understandable are the constant quarters in the teens. The lost big leads. The players seemingly doing whatever comes to mind at the worst times.

All of those things are debatable. His overall record is not and definitely not a reason he should be fired.

What about mark jackson? turned the splash bros into stars.. maybe be able to do the same to Davis and maybe another talent?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    What about mark jackson? turned the splash bros into stars.. maybe be able to do the same to Davis and maybe another talent?
    Word is Mark Jackson is a more successful version of Monty. Same problems and strengths.

I'll combine my other thoughts from other threads.

From an organizational perspective, from President Lauscha's perspective, if we get swept, I think it will be hard for him to swallow bringing Monty back.

Lauscha isn't likely viewing this simply as whether Monty earned another year or not. He has to take into account the business side as well: ticket revenue, long term strategy and goals, fan support, jersey sales, national exposure to grow support his own job security.

After this bitter taste that will linger in fans mouths, and if we get swept no doubt hurt support, how do you rationalize that doubling down on a coach with a losing record for a struggling franchise that hasn't wowed any expert or many fans is the right person to anchor yourself to next year?
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 04-24-2015 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    Right but to be fair, he's gone through a COMPLETE rebuild. I think the record is a very lazy argument. Then you look at all the circumstance and you kind of see why he's still here. Is he a difference maker at coach? That'd be hard to argue for, but I don't think he's near as bad as most people make him. I agree with eman 100% about showing progress. This year the bar was playoffs and he hit that. Next year it needs to be better seeding. If he keeps reaching the bar, you keep setting it until its a championship. If he doesn't meet it, let him go, if he does; we won!

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    And I totally agree, if Monty is here or not, this team has to move forward. No excuses.

Just watching the post game peessers is tough. To me, it's borderline heartbreaking. Everyone looks dejected. And poor Monty. He's such a great guy, and you can tell how much he loves this team, but something just has to give.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I'll combine my other thoughts from other threads.

From an organizational perspective, from President Lauscha's perspective, if we get swept, I think it will be hard for him to swallow bringing Monty back.

Lauscha isn't likely viewing this simply as whether Monty earned another year or not. He has to take into account the business side as well: ticket revenue, long term strategy and goals, fan support, jersey sales, national exposure to grow support his own job security.
    Do you know Lauscha and his mindset? Serious question. You seem to be bringing him up a ton and seem to be more in his head than anyone on the forum i've seen. If its inside info I appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepeelsessions View Post
    And I totally agree, if Monty is here or not, this team has to move forward. No excuses.

Just watching the post game peessers is tough. To me, it's borderline heartbreaking. Everyone looks dejected. And poor Monty. He's such a great guy, and you can tell how much he loves this team, but something just has to give.
    I agree. Monty looked totally dismal in his postgame. Defeated. Hopefully this feeling will where off and we'll put up a fight on Saturday, but right now it's a sad vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Right but to be fair, he's gone through a COMPLETE rebuild. I think the record is a very lazy argument. Then you look at all the circumstance and you kind of see why he's still here. Is he a difference maker at coach? That'd be hard to argue for, but I don't think he's near as bad as most people make him. I agree with eman 100% about showing progress. This year the bar was playoffs and he hit that. Next year it needs to be better seeding. If he keeps reaching the bar, you keep setting it until its a championship. If he doesn't meet it, let him go, if he does; we won!
    not how the NBA works though, i mean mark jackson and george karl really had no excuse to be fired, monty has an excuse put the head office just isn't pulling the trigger.. I think tonight showed that we can potentially have a fan base, and we might try everything to bring it back and consistent, it was rocking tonight and i enjoyed it a lot, haven't seen anything like it since ive been following this team since the cp3 era

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    not how the NBA works though, i mean mark jackson and george karl really had no excuse to be fired, monty has an excuse put the head office just isn't pulling the trigger.. I think tonight showed that we can potentially have a fan base, and we might try everything to bring it back and consistent, it was rocking tonight and i enjoyed it a lot, haven't seen anything like it since ive been following this team since the cp3 era
    You don't know that. I'm sure there were benchmarks they were looking to complete and they weren't completed, or personal issues attributed to the firing.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Do you know Lauscha and his mindset? Serious question. You seem to be bringing him up a ton and seem to be more in his head than anyone on the forum i've seen. If its inside info I appreciate.
    Because we can all have the same arguments between us about whether we personally think Monty earned another year or whether he is a great coach or if he is worse then crap, but ultimately the real opinion of concern is what Lauscha thinks.

I don't think my assumptions regarding the things Lauscha will concern himself with and think about are unreasonable do you?

It Monty stays he better be force to get a better coaching staff. Just look at our staff a bunch of nobody's.

if you don't like Monty, why would you want scott brooks? every complaint on this board has been made by OKC fans about brooks. poor adjustments, collapses in 4th, getting by on talent alone, not taking advantage of mismatches, great development guy but lacking head coach and on and on.

Personally I don't know the answer, but I'd be waiting till playoffs are done and reviewing the entire seasons performance before I made a choice. If the woj ultimatum tweet was true, it would seem cold blooded to kill him off despite him reaching the ownership's goals. Doesn't mean they wouldn't do it.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    We should follow OKCs lead. They are a smart org and can see the kinks. The first step in any recovery is what? A team that has been to the playoffs, multiple WCFs and a finals and faces the prospect of losing not 1 but 2 franchise players in the 24 months is telling. It shows that if you are convinced you dont have the answer or at least part of the solution, its time to move on.

I appreciate everything Monty has done, but its over. Theres no way he can look those guys in the eye and tell them its going to be okay. Its too late to change who he is for what they need. They know who he is and they will act accordingly towards him. Theyve shown that. Repeatedly. This is way to much drama for a team thats about to get swept. At least OKC had to weigh the success of their recent history. We have no excuse as to why this should be a hard decision.

How is the record a lazy argument? Is he the first coach to ever go through a rebuild? The first coach to ever go through a rebuild and deal with injuries? The first coach to maintain a job for 5 seasons while holding down a sub .500 record, maybe, but the first two questions are a resounding no. And of the coaches who have gone through rebuilds, were they gifted the next big thing, like Monty was with AD? The lazy argument is dismissing the record as it is the bar by which you are measured, unless coaches with losing records are in vogue now.

Thread Information