Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Monty Williams Defense

How many people on this board have coaching experience at any level? Ever had 3 things in your head to do at a timeout did 2 got asked a clarifying question and forgot to mention #3 sent the team back out said oh crap tried to yell the instruction over a crowd. Exactly, oh did I mention in one of the biggest moments in your life. Stuff happens you learn and move on.
    You do not let what you know you have go unless an upgrade a given. Trust takes time with egos.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    That's odd. I'd swear someone posted previously that we have one of the highest percentage of scoring after time outs in the entire league.
    Is there a stat on highest percentage of TO after time out?

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    People see what they want to see
    I like "people pay attention to where they prefer" better

Quote Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
    Is there a stat on highest percentage of TO after time out?
    As of January we were 3rd in points per possession out of a timeout behind only the Warriors and Clippers...

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    As of January we were 3rd in points per possession out of a timeout behind only the Warriors and Clippers...

Exactly, which by its very nature means we're nowhere near the top of highest percentage of TO after time out. You can't score AND turn it over at the same time.

It's funny how people focus on the offense for attacking Monty, while it's pretty clear that's not the problem for this team and this coaching staff.
    The stats of points after time-out are pretty telling (1st in the league), this staff can craft you a very effective offense. You can also see it on offensive set in halfcourt, the playbooks are pretty creative with some innovative twists on simple sets. If there's one thing that seems wrong with the playbook on offense it may be the difficulties for player to use it. I think time will improve this part, especially if our guards trust more the system and less their hero-ball aspiration.

My real problem with this coaching staff is their lack of ability to create a decent defense. May be it's on the player, because to many times they miss the right play on defense but I think it comes also from a system that doesn't help for the global cohesion of our defense. If we could somehow lure Mike Malone back, it would be amazing.

Other thing that start to make me doubt about this staff is the lack of improvement of players not named Anthony Davis. They have done an amazing job to turn AD into the MVP-caliber player he's but he's the only player that really improved in the last few years.

All in all, I'm would be good with keeping the current regime, at least give them a shot with more stability and this playoffs experience that should help this young team. But if this team isn't even average on defense next year, I won't see any reason to keep this coaching staff (Yeah, you may notice it, but I can't put everything on Monty, good or bad, coaching is more a team effort that people may think).

I am looking for points after time out, and not finding it. Where can I find this stat?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Gotta love how everyone in this board would agree Carlisle is a top 5 coach yet he is about to get swept by the Rockets who aren't near as good of a team as the Warriors. Monty has taken a young injured team all season to the playoffs in the Western Conference to give the Warriors 2 of their toughest matches they mite see all of the playoffs wether they win or lose some. No reason we can't make a similiar jump next season with some health just like them. They went from 51 wins and a 1st round loss to the top team in the NBA being the clear favorites as NBA champions. We were in all 3 games with 2 that could have been won and I'm not gonna say should have because us being in that position to win like we were is amazing. Just so tired of everything being Montys fault when you see guys like Carlisle about to get swept and Spoelstra not even making the playoffs in the weak east. We have a good coach who is only getting better and learning along with a young and talented team that can make huge strides and improvements from this years experience to next years. This team with 1 key player this off season and health is a top 4 seed and a serious contender next season and yes that's with Monty at coach.
    We have a much better roster then Carlisle.

And no one is saying that if you give Monty the incredible talent he needs that we can't go further in the playoffs.

The problem is that Pop, Rivers, Carlisle, Kerr, Stotts, and Jaeger aren't going away and the Thunder have a chance to make their own Kerr type leap if they hit on the right coach with that stacked roster. Then throw in up and coming teams like the Jazz and Snyder and the Kings have a chance with Karl next season and some likely roster moves.

Of the playoff coaches we will be competing against the next several years Monty is probably around the bottom in terms of ranking them. In fact i would take any of those listed over him.

So unless you think Davis can do what even Lebron James couldn't do and overcome a lesser roster then competitors and a below average coach. The change will have to come eventually.

To me arguments like yours are trying to downplay the quality of other coaches to rationalize why our own lesser quality coach may just be able to get us a chip. And under the perfect storm he might. But most years he is going to come up against elite talent and elite coaching and I am not convinced we have a path to add enough talent that we can overcome that coaching gap.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 04-25-2015 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    The fact that the only coaches with a longer tenure on the same team all have won championships is telling.

Five years is more than enough time.

Tavares is gone.
    Pretty much my thoughts. The fact this team is so poor on defense is really telling for me. I'd let him walk, we have one of the most attractive coaching jobs in the NBA, I don't care if Davis likes him, I'm sure he'd like winning more.

Another thing to add.

It's not like we are going against a playoff juggernaut and a HOF coach.

The warriors barely have more experience then us, and Kerr is a rookie......

They seemed poised, even down by 20, and we...... well, we came out of a time out and didn't know the play ---- that was literally just called 5 seconds before.

Seriously, does anything else even need to be said?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    The fact that the only coaches with a longer tenure on the same team all have won championships is telling.

Five years is more than enough time.

Tavares is gone.
    No, it's not.

Five years with what roster?

No, he isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    It's funny how people focus on the offense for attacking Monty, while it's pretty clear that's not the problem for this team and this coaching staff.
    The stats of points after time-out are pretty telling (1st in the league), this staff can craft you a very effective offense. You can also see it on offensive set in halfcourt, the playbooks are pretty creative with some innovative twists on simple sets. If there's one thing that seems wrong with the playbook on offense it may be the difficulties for player to use it. I think time will improve this part, especially if our guards trust more the system and less their hero-ball aspiration.
    For sure! People have been whining nonstop about offense since the last game.

Im not sure how many really understand the game & why we lost. Wasnt because reke blew a few possessions or AD choked on a free throw or Gordon missed a few shots he should have hit or Jrue made some bad decisions, it was because we gave up 39 mother humping points in the 4th!!

Defense is why we lost. Not being able to rebound is why we lost. Offense wasnt why as if we held them to just 37 4th quarter points!!!we win. Its just easier for the less astute among us to concentrate on a few offensive possessions or missed shots.

Any kind of ave 4 quarter defense sees this series lookin to be tied 2-2 today

Only here can a team give up 39 in the 4th and people think its an offensive issues. LOL.

at some point we stopped scoring and anderson who was having a good game was on the bench. i could understand it if we wanted to focus on defense and rebounding but then Asik was not on the floor either. the result was that we were not scoring and allowing A LOT OF offensive rebounds including the last play of the 4th quarter.. i would blame the coach. we were killed more by lack of rebounding than defense and that was the result of having wrong people on the floor..

Part of defense is rebounding. You cant blame lack of rebounding & say it aint defense.

Last quarter as coach of the Pelicans coming up?

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Last quarter as coach of the Pelicans coming up?
    No

Now to weather all the futile complaining from fans who want Dell and/or Monty gone. They'll both be back next season, and I believe this team will continue to improve. The first year we don't improve, I'll join the chorus.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post

My real problem with this coaching staff is their lack of ability to create a decent defense. May be it's on the player, because to many times they miss the right play on defense but I think it comes also from a system that doesn't help for the global cohesion of our defense. If we could somehow lure Mike Malone back, it would be amazing.

Other thing that start to make me doubt about this staff is the lack of improvement of players not named Anthony Davis. They have done an amazing job to turn AD into the MVP-caliber player he's but he's the only player that really improved in the last few years.

All in all, I'm would be good with keeping the current regime, at least give them a shot with more stability and this playoffs experience that should help this young team. But if this team isn't even average on defense next year, I won't see any reason to keep this coaching staff (Yeah, you may notice it, but I can't put everything on Monty, good or bad, coaching is more a team effort that people may think).
    No improvement from Tyreke from when he got here to now...?

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I'll keep this short and sweet.... I think both Williams and Demps will be retained for next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is some kind of shakeup with the assistants....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

I like Demps and would strongly prefer to hold onto him. Monty, I'm on the fence, slightly leaning towards no.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    We have a much better roster then Carlisle.

And no one is saying that if you give Monty the incredible talent he needs that we can't go further in the playoffs.

The problem is that Pop, Rivers, Carlisle, Kerr, Stotts, and Jaeger aren't going away and the Thunder have a chance to make their own Kerr type leap if they hit on the right coach with that stacked roster. Then throw in up and coming teams like the Jazz and Snyder and the Kings have a chance with Karl next season and some likely roster moves.

Of the playoff coaches we will be competing against the next several years Monty is probably around the bottom in terms of ranking them. In fact i would take any of those listed over him.

So unless you think Davis can do what even Lebron James couldn't do and overcome a lesser roster then competitors and a below average coach. The change will have to come eventually.

To me arguments like yours are trying to downplay the quality of other coaches to rationalize why our own lesser quality coach may just be able to get us a chip. And under the perfect storm he might. But most years he is going to come up against elite talent and elite coaching and I am not convinced we have a path to add enough talent that we can overcome that coaching gap.
    Wait you say unless Davis can overcome playing with lesser talent than other teams we won't win? Yea usually it takes having equal talent or better to win against a team especially in the playoffs against a team with a handful of losses all season but good point you made there.

You also said how if we give Monty incredible talent no one is saying we can't get better. Well isn't the point of this offseason to improve our roster with better talent and also the year after with lots of cap space opening up to get better and go further in the playoffs? They do have 29 other teams in the NBA who exist trying to do the same thing as us you know that right? You name all of these coaches that also get bumped out in the first round and get swept. Snyder has looked amazing with the Jazz but nope blame the roster. Carlisle gets swept but nope blame the roster. Rivers had a start to his career worst than Monty then goes to team with 3 HOFs to win a title but yea again blame his previous roster. Your acting like Stotts and Jaeger are some miracle workers. Yea Jaeger didn't inherit a 50+ win roster who was a western finals team. Yea and Karl is going to make some miraculous jump with the Kings just like all of his rings from the 50 years of coaching he has had. All good points though.

Monty can only take a team so far with the talent he has along with guys injured and recovering. We didn't happen to play hands down the best team in the NBA. We also got blown out every game and had no chance from what I saw. I don't know what you expected but if you were any of the bit realistic this season would have exceeded that. If someone would tell you all the injuries and everything we dealt with to make the playoffs in the west while giving the clear best team in the NBA a run for their $ in every single game being right there at the end you would sound pretty foolish and not to knowledgeable of NBA basketball to expect much more.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 04-26-2015 at 12:29 AM.

I don't know, I think of Snyder and Quinn and think that those are pretty amazing coaches. I wonder what they could do with a team like OKC, or SAS, or here. They seem to be able to coach beyond their talents, meaning, I can't name an AD, Durant, or Leonard on the Jazz or Suns, but those guys know the game enough where they can get around that. I am interested in what the future holds for both of those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Noggy View Post
    No improvement from Tyreke from when he got here to now...?
    Yeah, you're right Evans improved too, my bad. I was prisoner of the moment and I forgot how much he improved overall just because he's playing subpar in this series due to his health.

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    at some point we stopped scoring and anderson who was having a good game was on the bench. i could understand it if we wanted to focus on defense and rebounding but then Asik was not on the floor either. the result was that we were not scoring and allowing A LOT OF offensive rebounds including the last play of the 4th quarter.. i would blame the coach. we were killed more by lack of rebounding than defense and that was the result of having wrong people on the floor..
    I'm pretty sure that Anderson played a large part of the 4th and the line-up without him and with Cunningham has been pretty effective, especially since Anderson has been abused on defense by the warriors and by that I mean both on rebounding and ability to guard any player.
    Last edited by Blattman; 04-26-2015 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    No
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I don't know, I think of Snyder and Quinn and think that those are pretty amazing coaches. I wonder what they could do with a team like OKC, or SAS, or here. They seem to be able to coach beyond their talents, meaning, I can't name an AD, Durant, or Leonard on the Jazz or Suns, but those guys know the game enough where they can get around that. I am interested in what the future holds for both of those guys.
    Quin Snyder would destroy with this team. That Utah rotation had some monsterous holes in it and they were competitive. After the AS Break nobody had a better defense.

Thread Information