Pelicans Report

Thread: Ramblings of international fan

Ramblings of international fan

Living in Australia as a long time Charlotte hornets, and now New Orleans Pelican fan, has never been easy. Success for my team has always been rare and the heartbreak of seeing my favourite players leave season after season was demoralising. I'm constantly asked, why do you support new orleans......today I ask myself that same question.

Never having visited the US I was planning my trip for this time next year, to get along to the Smoothie King Centre and see my Pels live in action (hopefully pushing for a playoff spot or in the playoffs). I'm not so sure I want to do this after tonight's effort.

I sit here at work gameday after gameday, unveiling the play by play, line by line, hanging on every possession. I time my lunch so I can tune into the game on my league pass and sneak off to the toilets to watch important passages of play.

I watched the third quarter on my lunch break today and went back to my desk comfortable with a 20 point lead with a word of warning to my colleagues, this game is far from over. Back at my computer, reading the the play by play, like most on here could see the inevitable unfold. So typical for us to give up a big lead, as once again our late game execution is non-existent.

I have cheered the Hornets and Pelicans on from afar, unconditionally and alone for many years. I'm sad to say, today....I wonder whether I should continue....Please convince me otherwise.

Mate why don't you go back to the Hornets? They have the uniform and the mascot and are back where your fandom all started.
    "The only thing Ryno stretches is the 0's on the stat sheet." - BallSoHard

Up to you. I'm American, but like you I'm not a local fan. Never been to New Orleans. Was a Charlotte Hornets fan back in the 90's, and followed the same franchise all the way through. Personally, the team's success doesn't determine my loyalty to them. I enjoy following this team and have since I was a kid.

I know a lot of people don't really pair the early Charlotte Hornets' history with this franchise, but it's been the route I followed. Losses hurt, but they wouldn't if you didn't already have love for the team.

Dude, I was wondering how easy it would be myself this year, with The Charlotte Hornets being back. Would I go back to being a Hornets fan? Once the season started, the answer was easy. Never abandon you're team. There'll be ups and downs, highs and lows. One game shouldn't change how you feel about your team.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepeelsessions View Post
    Dude, I was wondering how easy it would be myself this year, with The Charlotte Hornets being back. Would I go back to being a Hornets fan? Once the season started, the answer was easy. Never abandon you're team. There'll be ups and downs, highs and lows. One game shouldn't change how you feel about your team.
    Same here. It was actually a bit of a crisis for me as a fan. But I just naturally stuck with this franchise. I was even a little upset about Charlotte taking back the Hornets team name, because they're still not my team. Was never defined solely by the city or by the brand name, for me.

well it isn't like cheering on the new hornets would net you more success. give it 5 minutes and let the mind come back in over the heart. We are the 8th seed who made it in on the last game of the season, playing a historically good 1st seed. we could not be in the playoffs at all? that's an alternative. or we could be portland. considering we've only technically existed for 13 years. San Antonio joined the NBA in 76 and didn't win a conference title till 99. Golden State only has 3 championships and 6 conference titles in almost 50 years. Houston founded 1967, only has 2 championships and 4 conference titles.

Thread Information