Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Thunder fire Scott Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by da_freshness View Post
    Realistically, What are the top destinations for durant if OKC decides to blow it up? Outside Washington, we have to be up there right?

Knicks,Lakers,Mavericks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tESMG4AXpFo

Quote Originally Posted by da_freshness View Post
    Realistically, What are the top destinations for durant if OKC decides to blow it up? Outside Washington, we have to be up there right?
    I mean he could go to LAL and instantly become the next coming of Kobe with all the media hype and fame that comes with that. He might have to decide how much he really wants to play with Rondo and Kevin Love though.

Washington is the obvious and the team is solid enough that Durant could make them and Cleveland the favorites for years to come.

I still don't think he leaves OKC so it is hard for me to think about it much further.

I think we wouldn't be laughed off the phone like last year but I would think we would need to make some serious noise in the playoffs to get more then a courtesy response to our call.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 04-22-2015 at 04:14 PM.

Pretty clear Phil Jackson wants Durant which would reunite him with Fisher. First round(Knicks lottery pick?) trade could be coming? Will NYK wait for cap space?
    Last edited by 4Real; 04-22-2015 at 04:15 PM.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    Lol if this is Amare 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    Pretty clear Phil Jackson wants Durant which would reunite him with Fisher. First round(Knicks lottery pick?) trade could be coming? Will NYK wait for cap space?
    Durant AND Carmelo?

How many basketballs are they going to play with?

Thunder fire Scott Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    Durant AND Carmelo?

How many basketballs are they going to play with?
    Westbrook shoots just as much as Carmelo? Shots would not be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post
    Westbrook shoots just as much as Carmelo? Shots would not be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And that has ALWAYS been an issue when people talk about the Thunder, especially around OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    While I'm at it, let's credit Jordan, Kobe, & Shaq's success to Phil Jackson. Players make the coaches look good not vice versa. Look at all the championships Thibs has won.......wait. Oh yeah, the league's best coach (according to some) hasn't won anything. There are some coaches that work miracles. Larry Brown comes to mind but all the so called elite coaches won with stacked decks. Scott Brooks had a stacked deck and didn't win. I will concede that Presti didn't do him any favors. The object is championships and if you have a stacked deck and the best you can do is win a lot of games, a change might be required.
    This is certainly a sport where the players mean more then the coaches, but I think you go a bit too far. Great coaches still need great players to win but they make the road to get there much easier and can be the difference between one or two championships and a dynasty. Between a flash in the pan and creating a destination for guys that want to win like the Spurs. Thibs is a perfect counter to your argument. George Karl would be another.

Despite Thibs only having one true superstar for most of his years, one that has not been healthy enough almost every year, Thibs has made deep playoff runs and constantly finished in the top of the league each season. That system is elite and elevates players in it and keeps his teams always competitive.

Karl was able to take a team that was Anthony-less, had little to no continuity and a bunch of youth to 57 wins. Put a Scott Brooks in those situations and those rosters and he is a lottery team. He almost won a couple championships if he hadn't come up to all time great teams with all time great coaches when he was merely an all time great coach without an all-time great roster.

I am of the mind that great players can win championships without great coaches. But great players with great coaches will all but guarantee multiple championships. And if you are a team with great players and a mediocre coach you better hope that you aren't playing another team with great players and a great coach or watch out. As The Heat learned against Dallas and SA.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 04-22-2015 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    This is certainly a sport where the players mean more then the coaches, but I think you go a bit too far. Great coaches still need great players to win but they make the road to get there much easier and can be the difference between one or two championships and a dynasty. Between a flash in the pan and creating a destination for guys that want to win like the Spurs. Thibs is a perfect counter to your argument. George Karl would be another.

Despite Thibs only having one true superstar for most of his years, one that has not been healthy enough almost every year, Thibs has made deep playoff runs and constantly finished in the top of the league each season. That system is elite and elevates players in it and keeps his teams always competitive.

Karl was able to take a team that was Anthony-less, had little to no continuity and a bunch of youth to 57 wins. Put a Scott Brooks in those situations and those rosters and he is a lottery team. He almost won a couple championships if he hadn't come up to all time great teams with all time great coaches when he was merely an all time great coach without an all-time great roster.

I am of the mind that great players can win championships without great coaches. But great players with great coaches will all but guarantee multiple championships. And if you are a team with great players and a mediocre coach you better hope that you aren't playing another team with great players and a great coach or watch out. As The Heat learned against Dallas and SA.
    We're saying the same thing. Thibs system hasn't won anything. Until you get the players, your system means squat.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    We're saying the same thing. Thibs system hasn't won anything. Until you get the players, your system means squat.
    Except for the Spurs, Mavs, or '04 Pistons. They all won with systems over talent. As much fun as it is to believe something extreme in either way, I think the answer is that both can have large impacts and that it takes either extremely good talent or extremely good coaching or a good mix of both.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Except for the Spurs, Mavs, or '04 Pistons. They all won with systems over talent. As much fun as it is to believe something extreme in either way, I think the answer is that both can have large impacts and that it takes either extremely good talent or extremely good coaching or a good mix of both.
    The Spurs are built around a top 10 player of all time, and Dirk isn't a slouch either...

Totally his fault he had Durant, Ibaka and Russ injured alot of the season hey..

Basically. Elite system and Elite coach can but not often, overcome elite coaches and elite players. The opposite happens a lot more but it is all about the overall package. In a league like today where 4-7 teams have legit championship quality talent, coaching becomes an X factor.

As to the persons saying the spurs have a top 10 of all time player, I would ask was he top 10 last year when they won it? Im not so sure. Dirk was a superstar his year but beat several teams with better rosters.

Quote Originally Posted by carpo View Post
    Totally his fault he had Durant, Ibaka and Russ injured alot of the season hey..
    The argument was it is a long term directional change for the franchise. It wasn't based on this season alone.

It is easy to make the argument someone shouldn't be fired but it is much harder to justify that a coach should be kept over alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    If Lebron won Spoelstra those titles then why doesn't every coach that has ever coached LeBron have a title?
    Well, LeBron is leading the Calvs through the East pretty well. I think they will make it all the way to the Championship series. To answer your question, you have to understand his emancipation to being a true leader verses his younger days of being a great talent. See how he got Chris Bosh to take a lower roll, now he is imposing his will on Kevin Love to be a roll player. While pushing Kyrie Irving to step up his over all game. Also he is big enough of a star to advise the GM to get the needed talent around him. "JORDAN LIKE"

I thought we had all learned that judging coaches is incredibly difficult and ambitious. I feel like you have to pretend to know more about a sport than a person who has dedicated their life to it. You have to pretend to know more than the person who sees everything behind the scenes and base it only on public data. Sure, there are opinions that you can agree and disagree with and have philosophical differences on how the game should be played, but our combined knowledge isn't even that of Scott Brooks. I know its a popular opinion that he is a bad coach, and maybe he is, but I'm not going to say so or not because I haven't even watched 75% of the games he's coached or tried to understand a lot of his decision making process.
    Sound logic indeed. Thank you sir.

If you read my original post, I said that there were exceptions. I gave Larry brown as an example

Thread Information