Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thunder fire Scott Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I agree with this. Brooks was as good as his players played. He isn't much by way of adjusting to situations or handling players. If OKC can get an X's and O's guy they will be a serious contender again.
    They would have been a contender with decent health. Scott Brooks was not their issue. But I have a feeling they have another coach lined up with how quickly all of the rumors started flying about Donovan and Ollie

I mean... I can be mad at Monty if he was doing same stuff since year 1. Every season, he has gotten better and knows how to develop players. I got to give him that credit. And this year, I have been way more frustrated with our players more so than Monty. Our guys are still young and got to keep developing them.

"The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

If Lebron won Spoelstra those titles then why doesn't every coach that has ever coached LeBron have a title?

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Considering where he started, where he dropped to, and now here...I am still not overly impressed. Some might be, but I have little confidence that Monty can be anything more than a players best friend.
    Words of wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by PhilJFry View Post
    They would have been a contender with decent health. Scott Brooks was not their issue. But I have a feeling they have another coach lined up with how quickly all of the rumors started flying about Donovan and Ollie
    You are kind of proving the point. They would be a contender with decent health. Because that roster is that good. Westbrook, Durant, Ibaka, Kanter, Morrow, Adams, Augustine. You have two parfuavly top 5 players and a great supporting cast. Give anyone that team and they will get to the second round at least when healthy. Bring in a guy that knows his X's and O's and can get a guy like Westbrook to buy into a system that better helps the team and they will unfortunately be the favorites every year.

Brooks was a good guy that players love and brings good values to a team but like Monty he is really not a great X's and O's guy or has found a way to maximize his roster as a whole. I think Monty is better then Brookd because he is a good teacher and a good motivator at times but neither couldn't be upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    You are kind of proving the point. They would be a contender with decent health. Because that roster is that good. Westbrook, Durant, Ibaka, Kanter, Morrow, Adams, Augustine. You have two parfuavly top 5 players and a great supporting cast. Give anyone that team and they will get to the second round at least when healthy. Bring in a guy that knows his X's and O's and can get a guy like Westbrook to buy into a system that better helps the team and they will unfortunately be the favorites every year.

Brooks was a good guy that players love and brings good values to a team but like Monty he is really not a great X's and O's guy or has found a way to maximize his roster as a whole. I think Monty is better then Brookd because he is a good teacher and a good motivator at times but neither couldn't be upgraded.
    I mean last time they had their top 3 players healthy for the playoffs, they went to the finals

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    If Lebron won Spoelstra those titles then why doesn't every coach that has ever coached LeBron have a title?
    Probably wasn't Lebron alone. He had these other bums named Bosh and Wade.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I mean... I can be mad at Monty if he was doing same stuff since year 1. Every season, he has gotten better and knows how to develop players. I got to give him that credit. And this year, I have been way more frustrated with our players more so than Monty. Our guys are still young and got to keep developing them.
    By this same logic do we credit Mike Brown for developing Lebron James? Scott Brooks for Harden, Westbrook and Durant? And if so does that justify keeping a guy if he hits a wall in his abilities?

I think Monty has done better then average with what he has been dealt over the years and I am interested to see how he adjusts and adapts through this series because that will tell me a lot. But we can't on the one hand give him credit for our players development and the good and then blame everyone else for the bad. You can't say he is a great developer and then complain the players are developing bad on the court habits and Monty bears no responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Probably wasn't Lebron alone. He had these other bums named Bosh and Wade.
    good point, but if lebron doesn't win this year with love and kyrie, then what?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilJFry View Post
    I mean last time they had their top 3 players healthy for the playoffs, they went to the finals
    And is that because of Brooks or because they had 3 of the top 7 or so players on their roster?

Since then they have struggled and a good coach adapts.

To me Brooks is an average coach with an elite roster. Even without Durant that roster was arguably better then a team like Dallas, a hobbled Portland, or ours banged up. Houston with Harden got the second seed with Howard and Beverly missing significant time. To me Brooks is a coach that needs a dearth of health and talent to succeed.

Let me ask you this. Say Monty retires for some odd reason. Do you want us hiring Brooks over all the other possible coaches out there? If someone says yes can you make a good case for it?

is brooks even a good coach though? The dude had durant, westbrook, harden, and ibaka. 3 of those 4 are like top 7 players in the league lol

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    is brooks even a good coach though? The dude had durant, westbrook, harden, and ibaka. 3 of those 4 are like top 7 players in the league lol
    What's Brooks winshare per 36?

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    good point, but if lebron doesn't win this year with love and kyrie, then what?
    Then next year. The Heat also needed time to build chemistry.

It's the same with the Pelicans. They need time playing together to build chemistry and stop the stupid mistakes.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Brooks was what the NFL calls a "Game Manager".

I'm guessing they know Durant is not coming back anyway.

Apparently Ollie and Westbrook have some sort of relationship.UCLA is my guess

I hope he goes to Denver. The last thing I want is another good coach coming to the West to make it even tougher to make the playoffs, let alone win one. Let Thibs go to Orlando. Keep him in the East.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    Apparently Ollie and Westbrook have some sort of relationship.UCLA is my guess
    Donovan from Florida is also friends with Presti and combined with Donovan's openness to the NBA would seem like a strong possibility as well.

Both guys would be interesting to see. Hopefully they flame out though....for our sake.

Remove Spoe and add coach of your choice. Do the Heat still win? I'm pretty sure they do. LBJ took some dudes from the Cleveland boys and girls club to the finals. I'm pretty sure the 4 finals appearances were more LBJ than Spoe. How good was Cleveland and Mike Brown when LBJ left? IJS
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

I thought we had all learned that judging coaches is incredibly difficult and ambitious. I feel like you have to pretend to know more about a sport than a person who has dedicated their life to it. You have to pretend to know more than the person who sees everything behind the scenes and base it only on public data. Sure, there are opinions that you can agree and disagree with and have philosophical differences on how the game should be played, but our combined knowledge isn't even that of Scott Brooks. I know its a popular opinion that he is a bad coach, and maybe he is, but I'm not going to say so or not because I haven't even watched 75% of the games he's coached or tried to understand a lot of his decision making process.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

While I'm at it, let's credit Jordan, Kobe, & Shaq's success to Phil Jackson. Players make the coaches look good not vice versa. Look at all the championships Thibs has won.......wait. Oh yeah, the league's best coach (according to some) hasn't won anything. There are some coaches that work miracles. Larry Brown comes to mind but all the so called elite coaches won with stacked decks. Scott Brooks had a stacked deck and didn't win. I will concede that Presti didn't do him any favors. The object is championships and if you have a stacked deck and the best you can do is win a lot of games, a change might be required.
    Last edited by UptownFuz504; 04-22-2015 at 03:52 PM.

Realistically, What are the top destinations for durant if OKC decides to blow it up? Outside Washington, we have to be up there right?

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    What's Brooks winshare per 36?
    lmao good question

Thread Information