Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Do you really want to resign Asik?

This is simply a case of the grass is always greener. Now that we have Asik, we want something better. There just are only a limited number of great bigs out there, and we have one already in AD. Asik is much better than what we had a year ago and much better than most of the other options we could have at center.

Boston and OKC were just fine with Perkins. I think we'll be just fine with Asik as long as we don't overpay to bring him back. I'm more concerned with Jrue's health going forward.

The Franchise
    I heard its a done deal for Monroe to the Knicks. I'd love to have him over Asik. I'll take the defensive hit with the offensive gain. There are so many fumbled passes and as to how a 7 footer gets blocked on so many dunks I don't know. Even though I still think dell resigns him or signs and trades him. Dell really doesn't get many free agents, I think he works the edges there and trades for his major pieces. I can't remember one major signing from free agency. Reke, Jrue, ryno, Asik, gordon all traded for and I'd guess will be traded away. I'm on the all out Boogie train. Find a way get Denver involved and make it happen. That will get us bigger and nastier up the middle both offensively and defensively.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    What if Asik only wants a 1 year deal from us bc of the cap rise? That's something we haven't discussed yet.
    Id rather that because then it gives us options after next season. I wouldn't want to comit to him long term since there may he other options avaialable. This year is just bad because unless you get 1 of Gasol, Jordan, or Monroe there isn't really an upgrade.
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 04-22-2015 at 09:40 AM.

Rookie
    history repeats itself, "the first as tragedy, then as farce",
    Bulls wanted to sign Asik cheap and Houston got him. Houston did not want him to lose but conceded after Omer requested. Now NOLA wants him to sign cheap and Asik will play somewhere like Knicks/lakers/Nets.
    First tragedy, second farce, third..????????

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I'd even be willing to offer Asik a 1yr 15m deal. I just don't want to commit to him beyond the team's current cap constraints.

It'll feel a whole lot less exhilarating to finally have Gordon's $15m per year coming off the books but realize we're stuck with 3 more years of Asik's $11m.
    This is kinda my feeling as well . I don't really want Asik long term . I understand that our current cap situation has us limited along with who is available NOW . To me he is the worst offensive center I can think of . He has as many TO's as made baskets . Guarding him is an afterthought . He allows his defender to cheat on another player. . If we are gonna sign someone for 4 yrs I don't really want it to be Asik. I'd be ok with a 1 or maybe 2yr deal to get us where EG is off the books. I do agree with MM , if Dell is here so will Asik . Because letting him walk would make Dell look bad , like he rented Asik for 1 yr for our 1st rd pick

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Scarborian View Post
    history repeats itself, "the first as tragedy, then as farce",
    Bulls wanted to sign Asik cheap and Houston got him. Houston did not want him to lose but conceded after Omer requested. Now NOLA wants him to sign cheap and Asik will play somewhere like Knicks/lakers/Nets.
    First tragedy, second farce, third..????????
    So Asik was never a starter for the Bulls. I see where you are trying to go but this is a totally different situation. Asik is a starter in NOLA, in Chicago he was a backup. It's similar to Ajinca, I like him and I'd like the Pelicans to resign him, but if someone comes and offers him a deal that averages 8mil a year you can say sayonara.

"The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

For the right price.... he rebounds, defenda fairly well and allows AD to play the 4 predominantly.

If the price is right he is a tool that can help in certain playoff matchups. I am reserving judgement til this series is over.

I do miss Lopez watching the Blazers. Such a good player for the value.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 04-22-2015 at 09:15 PM.

I wouldnt mind letting him go actually, but the backup plan would have to be ready. Robin Lopez? a two headed monster of nene and?? it all depends

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    If the price is right he is a tool that can help in certain playoff matchups. I am reserving judgement til this series is over.

I do miss Lopez watching the Blazers. Such a good player for the value.
    Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    I wouldnt mind letting him go actually, but the backup plan would have to be ready. Robin Lopez? a two headed monster of nene and?? it all depends
    You do remember Robin's pick and roll defence don't you?

No thanks.
    BTW he will get paid as much if not more in free agency as Asik anyway.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I've been thinking about this a lot as we have had 2 days between games.

I've actually defended Asik in conversations with folks using all of the talking points those in the resign Asik column can throw out there. His rebounds, his defense against the Gasols of the World, etc. You can even look at occasions where Good Asik has turned games in the 2nd half, and it's noticeable how many 2nd chance baskets the other team gets when he takes a seat. It was noticeable in the 2nd half of game 2.

But Bad Asik is also glaring.

All that to say that I think Asik could be a valuable role player. The question is how much he gets paid, and by definition of valuable, that value diminishes if he starts eating up an equally glaring (to both his good play and his bad play) percentage of the cap. So this is all pretty repetitive, but I'm NOT in favor of signing him to a long term deal unless we're given a significant discount because we're guaranteeing multiple years and consistent minutes.

What I've been spending a lot of time thinking about is who are the guys that currently have deals that extend beyond next year and play for teams that might want to dip more than a toe into 2016 free agency. After all, that's how we ended up getting Asik. And assuming we don't sacrifice it, we'll have what should be non-lottery first round picks to dangle if we need to. Hell, we might even be able to get a pick in exchange for taking a guy off someone's hands if they really need the cap space. Or only give up a 2nd. Let's be honest, does anyone really want Dell drafting players in the late teens or twenties of a draft?

So I've come up with a few names. Don't want to write a synopsis for a dozen guys, but there is a logical scenario where any of these guys could be had for a 1st round pick or less this summer and would make more since for the Pelicans than resigning Asik to a long term deal that eats into 2016 cap. Some of these guys expire next year, which would preserve our flexibility. And some of these guys are under longer contracts that their teams could conceivably want to get out of, but I'd rather have them locked in for multiple years than Asik.

So here we go:

Marcin Gortat
    Josh McRoberts
    Kenneth Faried
    Nikola Pekovic
    Al Horford
    Al Jefferson
    Roy Hibbert
    Hassan Whiteside
    John Henson
    Zaza Pachulia
    Tiago Splitter