Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: If you are nostalgic for Austin Rivers ...

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    It has been more than one game (3 games out of 10). Hard to take it serious until we see a larger sample size.
    What does that say about Dell Demps and his evaluation of talent?

He recognized we needed a better piece if we were to make the playoffs. Enter QPon for Rivers.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I am happy to see Austin finally have some success even if it is limited. I wish him the best. It didn't work here but I would never wish for the player to not develop. I still remember how excited he was to come to new orleans. That reason alone I could never hate him. Now Chris Paul on the other hand...
    I'm a grinder

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    I am happy to see Austin finally have some success even if it is limited. I wish him the best. It didn't work here but I would never wish for the player to not develop. I still remember how excited he was to come to new orleans. That reason alone I could never hate him. Now Chris Paul on the other hand...
    Let us not hate on CP3 . He one day could play in New Orleans again.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    Let us not hate on CP3 . He one day could play in New Orleans again.
    Never going to happen unless it's at the very end of his playing days

Quote Originally Posted by notime View Post
    Never going to happen unless it's at the very end of his playing days
    Hopefully Austin Rivers does us a favor

Rivers going off on defense. Crowd chanting his name again

I like doc but damn I don't wanna see the clips win squat

Banned
    Clippers wouldn't be in the playoffs now without Rivers.

I was not happy when the Pels traded Rivers and I'm still not happy. Monty and Demps screwed that up big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    Clippers wouldn't be in the playoffs now without Rivers.
    and we wouldn't have made the playoffs with Rivers

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Kid didn't show us anything on the court.

Off the court however, he has my respect.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    and we wouldn't have made the playoffs with Rivers
    Amen. He goes off in this series and suddenly he is the guy who was going to take us to the next level...get real. Dude is playing his role to perfection, but that wasn't his role here. His role with us wasn't to be the 6th or 7th best player on the team like it is in LA. Here we needed him to be the 2nd or 3rd best player, and he couldn't. Good for him in this series, but He guy showed that he wasn't up to task while here. Those are the cold hard facts. Go look at his numbers while he was here, they amount to a "C-" at best.

Austin always kills Houston IDK why this is a surprise.

Amen. He goes off in this series and suddenly he is the guy who was going to take us to the next level...get real. Dude is playing his role to perfection, but that wasn't his role here. His role with us wasn't to be the 6th or 7th best player on the team like it is in LA. Here we needed him to be the 2nd or 3rd best player, and he couldn't. Good for him in this series, but He guy showed that he wasn't up to task while here. Those are the cold hard facts. Go look at his numbers while he was here, they amount to a "C-" at best.
    As most young players in all sports, they get better with time, experience, and practice.

So Rivers would not lead us to the 4 game sweep, but perhaps he would be able to lead us further in the future? What if he lives up to the billing of the #1 HS recruit and top 10 pick afterall? What if by the time he is 24 he is a dominant starter in the league?

I think the one and only complaint I am seeing here is we gave up on him too early. He obviously was not playing great for us, I don't believe any one is insinuating that.

Will he ever be even considered a good player? Only time will tell.

I think the irony of this thread is that the OP originally decided to try and take a shot at rivers (totally unnecessary IMO), but the tide seems to have shifted.

A series where the point guards he's going against are AWFUL by the way

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuture View Post
    Why is the smiley guy hitting the calico rat with a lower case L?

Quote Originally Posted by stormcenter View Post
    I was not happy when the Pels traded Rivers and I'm still not happy. Monty and Demps screwed that up big time.
    Rivers was awful here.

I don't think we let go of Rivers to early, in fact I think he will disappear in the next round (should the Clippers advance). For proof go back to Droopy Dogg's post and then include the Clippers last series vs the Spurs. Rivers was invisible vs the Spurs, and he was getting minuets then. Trout out the Rockets who Rivers has had a past of excelling against, and sure he is going to have good numbers. The test to see if this is the real Rivers will be against either the Grizzlies or Warriors, as he hasn't performed well against either of those two teams. I will buy into that AR stock if he continues this production, but for now he is still Jerome James.

Rivers played here for 3 years. He was one of the least productive players in the league over that time. Players can get better, but in a case like that his where he put in a lot of time somewhere, it usually takes a change of scheme - either he lacks the ability or he doesn't fit in the offense

Monty isn't going anywhere, so keeping Rivers would be futile. If he explodes in LA (unlikely), then so be it; it wasn't happening for this coach in this system.

Rivers played here for 3 years. He was one of the least productive players in the league over that time. Players can get better, but in a case like that his where he put in a lot of time somewhere, it usually takes a change of scheme - either he lacks the ability or he doesn't fit in the offense

Monty isn't going anywhere, so keeping Rivers would be futile. If he explodes in LA (unlikely), then so be it; it wasn't happening for this coach in this system.

FWIW, he was pretty poor with the Clippers before this series. Good chance his success has more to do with having Jet Terry and Harden defending him (though, to his credit, he's exploiting it in a way he hadn't before).

Rivers simply wasn't a good fit with AD. Too ball dominant and iso driven, we have Reke and that's enough.
    SIGN A SF

I made a point on the 43rd post in this thread. We are now at post 148 and yet no one has argued that it is irrelevant and makes the entire conversation moot.

Even if Rivers becomes the next Jordan 29 teams could have had him for nothing and chose not to. You think GMs never watched him? They saw him. They know his strengths and weaknesses better than all of us do and they all passed on getting him for nothing. If he succeeds (and I hope he does because I like the guy) it makes us look just as dumb as every other team in the league so there's no reason to continue worrying about how we may regret the decision.

Let's stop worrying about looking dumb and root for the guy that fought hard for us for a few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    I made a point on the 43rd post in this thread. We are now at post 148 and yet no one has argued that it is irrelevant and makes the entire conversation moot.

Even if Rivers becomes the next Jordan 29 teams could have had him for nothing and chose not to. You think GMs never watched him? They saw him. They know his strengths and weaknesses better than all of us do and they all passed on getting him for nothing. If he succeeds (and I hope he does because I like the guy) it makes us look just as dumb as every other team in the league so there's no reason to continue worrying about how we may regret the decision.

Let's stop worrying about looking dumb and root for the guy that fought hard for us for a few years.
    I agree 100 %

Thread Information