Pelicans Report

Thread: Monty Williams as Assist. Coach for the Thunder

Kinda wish the offer to bring him back as a assist coach for the pels was a thing but I doubt it. Hope he gets the job.

gonna miss monty :'( AD to thunder 2017

I hope he gets it. He deserves to land on his feet
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

I hope he gets it or the Orlando coaching gig. #ImissMonty

Looks like it would be in Donovan's best interest to bring Keefe back from New York (if he wants to keep Durant and Westbrook happy).

Did anyone else open this thread thinking, "Why are they hiring assistants before they have a coach?" That Donovan hire was a good one, but also very easily forgettable.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Looks like it would be in Donovan's best interest to bring Keefe back from New York (if he wants to keep Durant and Westbrook happy).

Did anyone else open this thread thinking, "Why are they hiring assistants before they have a coach?" That Donovan hire was a good one, but also very easily forgettable.
    I would also think Monty would prefer the head coaching gig at Orlando. Remember Monty has connections with the Magic as a former player.

Can we change the title to add "Potential" because from just reading it I thought he had already been hired.

I hope he lands somewhere favorable for himself. Monty is a good guy.

I think this would be a good opportunity for Monty. Not my ideal(would love to see him end up in a place like GS) but Donovan is being brought in to essentially take the Team Brooks built to the next level. Similar to what is happening in New Orleans.

I think Monty still has a bright future in this league if he can take the hit and be a sponge as an assistant in a few places for a few more years. Let him learn from some more good basketball minds and help himself grow further. I still think he needs to shed some of his old school philosophies that hurt his system and effectiveness here. I think being on the ground floor of a guy coming in that is set to overhaul the offensive system in OKC could do wonders for Monty's growth. Especially a guy that seemingly embraced analytics thinking in Florida. Something I think Monty struggled to effectively incorporate into his own system. Plus I think a few more stints with quality head coaches can help grow his network of potential assistants which I think current successful franchises have shown to be a key driver of success and something Monty really could benefit from building further.

On the other hand Donovon has some of the same knocks Monty had and could reinforce already bad habits such as poor in game adjustments, sparing use of timeouts, direction-less PG play in the clutch and poor at closing out close games.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 05-17-2015 at 09:52 AM.

Too bad Demps couldn't join him in some form of assistant front office role.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    Too bad Demps couldn't join him in some form of assistant front office role.
    Oh man so funny!!!!

But really, why even post this? We havent seen Demps with a coach that shares his same offensive believes. So far, it seemed like Demps got players who are better in a fast paced offense.

Wow! Demps is a villain now?

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    This doesn't scream Super Villian to you?

Isn't Dell dubbed the Super villian at times?

Would have loved to have him as an assistant back in NOLA but I'm so glad he may have found work so quickly. He deserves it and has plenty to offer.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I hope he gets it or the Orlando coaching gig. #ImissMonty
    Ditto. I think he'd thrive extremely down there in Orlando.

Quote Originally Posted by markid View Post
    Isn't Dell dubbed the Super villian at times?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    It's his nickname because he's a diabolical, cunning "evil" genius with plans up his sleeve that no one expects. Also known as Dell "The Chess master". Before we know it he'll take over the basketball world with the help of a weapon of mass destruction known as....The Brow.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...cart_big-photo

"I'm a huge fan of Monty's, so you're going to get a biased opinion if it's me talking. I just have a ton of respect for him," Payton said. "We had a few text messages and I'm sure we'll have a chance to spend some more time and visit....

"At the same time, it's kind of one of those arenas that I don't know enough about. I'll watch a little bit and my son will fill me in on the roster, who's doing what, but it's hard when you see that. ... It's one of the tough things about our profession."

It's a little messed up but I am happy that Payton doesnt know much about the Pelicans. That means he is doing his job, because the job of an NFL head coach doesnt leave much time for in-depth following another sport.

As for Monty, I would probably question any person that said they didn't like Monty on a personal level. It would honestly say more about that person then Monty, because Monty seems like he is a hard person not to like on a personal level.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 05-17-2015 at 03:47 PM.

I wonder if Dell ever called/texted Monty?

Thread Information