Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how in the world is gordon so bad at missing easy layups

how in the world is gordon so bad at missing easy layups

Does anyone else agree? He does a good job at getting to the rim he just never finishes.. if i'm EG next year working for that next contract, im taking 1000 contested layups a day..

Eric Gordon is the worst guard (who takes more than 5 shots) in the entire league when dribbling 2 times or more. Shoots just 33% in those situations overall and 22% from 3.

He is a fantastic catch-and-shoot guy, but anything I know Golden State knows times ten. They will force him to shoot off the dribble, and today it resulted in 1-7 from the field and 5 turnovers.

This is playoff basketball - teams know your weaknesses and they expose you for the player you really are.
    @mcnamara247

His handles are absolutely trash, my good. He's a turnover waiting to hapoen when he puts it on the floor. He does the same shake every time and dam near falls over or dribbles off his legs.

I remember when people on here were calling for him to be our Pg. Lmao.

That's our max guy! And to think how good he was at penetrating and finishing with the Clipps. He really needs to improve in that area. That's an amazing stat btw, MM

Quote Originally Posted by Thepeelsessions View Post
    That's our max guy! And to think how good he was at penetrating and finishing with the Clipps. He really needs to improve in that area. That's an amazing stat btw, MM
    He is not going to improve. Clippers Eric Gordon is long gone. He is who he is now - a guy who can be a great spot up threat for a team and occasionally run the pick and roll against a bad defense. It is what it is. And its better than what he gave us in the past

Every time he puts the ball on the floor I cringe, because it rarely ends well.

Any chance he's still recovering from injury? I know he opted not to have season-ending surgery.

Will he need surgery at the end of the season?
    If so will this interrupt his preseason?

I think if he gets another healthy off season done he could be better at finishing around the rim.

He's been horrible at the rim almost his whole time with us. The main reason he sucks at that and at dribbling past opponents is because he's lost a reasonable amount of his athleticism, without it he's, well the player we've been complaining about the past few seasons
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Food View Post
    I think if he gets another healthy off season done he could be better at finishing around the rim.
    I'm interested to see what happens with that. Prior to last year he hadn't really played in 2 full seasons.

Assigning some ball park estimations here (you may disagree):

Last year: 40-50% of old Gordon

This year: 60-70% of old Gordon...first true offseason in a while...regardless of if you think the percentages should be a little lower, we all noticed this year that Gordon regained some spring in his step as far as quickness goes.

Next year: is another small leap possible...to 70-90%? Don't know if he'd still need labrum surgery but another yr to get legs back...and another off season with healthy legs...who knows?

Although it seems like he looks better than past years with the team his numbers are actually down at everything except his great catch and shoot numbers so I don't know if he is really getting the athleticism back that much?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Will he need surgery at the end of the season?
    If so will this interrupt his preseason?
    Although not announced I think it is assumed he will have arthroscopic surgery to repair the labrum in his left shoulder. I doubt he miss preseason due to this surgery.
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

You can delete "at missing easy layups" from your title.

- Can't drive
    - Combo of undersize and quickness dont allow him to create separation for midrange
    - dont get to the line (as wesley said, he look strong so dont get as many calls as a Parker or Ellis who look like dyng at every contact at the rim)
    - cant use his strength to post up smaller guards...

He looks like a Gary Neal with 15 M contract... This team and my 3 year old signature will change when we get rid of him.
    Last edited by Hornetsfan41; 04-19-2015 at 05:17 AM.

Okay guys, look at these highlights.. they're werent long ago and i know Eric has had knee issues, but westbrook has had much worse, and his athleticism excels after an injury so why has Gordon slowed down so much? Maybe another complete offseason and almost a full season behind him can bring him back to his old form..
    I mean placing old gordon with todays davis will be lethal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PtAPCDdinQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38L4P6P2NRo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Guciiu3oe0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axpr855fQ2w

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    Okay guys, look at these highlights.. they're werent long ago and i know Eric has had knee issues, but westbrook has had much worse, and his athleticism excels after an injury so why has Gordon slowed down so much? Maybe another complete offseason and almost a full season behind him can bring him back to his old form..
    I mean placing old gordon with todays davis will be lethal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PtAPCDdinQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38L4P6P2NRo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Guciiu3oe0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axpr855fQ2w
    Oh my goodness, oh my goodness! Those dunks are insane. See, that is just a small sample size of what warranted the talk about him being in the top 3 SG discussions. Sheesh, I forgot how fearless and good he was at attacking and finishing. What could've been

The guy in those videos has the same name as the guy who is currently starting for us, but that is all they share. He is a different player now was will continue to be. Appreciate what he is, not what he once was.

Remember Hornets Larry Johnson? He had the same name in NY, but was a completely different player. Still effective, just in a different way.

so bad at missing layups.... does two negatives make it positive?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The guy in those videos has the same name as the guy who is currently starting for us, but that is all they share. He is a different player now was will continue to be. Appreciate what he is, not what he once was.

Remember Hornets Larry Johnson? He had the same name in NY, but was a completely different player. Still effective, just in a different way.
    Do you think he views himself as a spot up shooter though? I feel that he probably still believes that he can be as good as he once was and will want a contract like that.
    Last edited by joetzeng; 04-20-2015 at 12:32 AM.

First of all, his floater BLOWS! Since he is hell bent on not dunking he could at least use the backboard.

So, sooo true about his dribbling. I've never seen someone with such a disparity in percentage when they dribble as opposed to catch and shoot.

BTW yal, why is Tyreke Evans doesn't ever dunk. I know he doesn't have serious hops, but didn't he use to throw it down his rookie year? or am i just assuming he did

Tyreke had a dunk against the Spurs

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Man it's been a while since we had a good ol' fashioned Eric Gordon hate thread! I almost forgot this was PR!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Man it's been a while since we had a good ol' fashioned Eric Gordon hate thread! I almost forgot this was PR!
    What happened to your sig and avi, sell out?

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    What happened to your sig and avi, sell out?
    Playoffs had me like:

So i changed it up

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    This
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Thread Information