Pelicans Report

Thread: Asik will be useless in this series

Asik will be useless in this series

Anyone disagrees? And Jrue will have to step up if Reke misses time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SIGN A SF

Quote Originally Posted by All Metro View Post
    Anyone disagrees? And Jrue will have to step up if Reke misses time.

He gets lost in the pick in roll on defense vs this team. I agree with you.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Well, if he plays the rest of the series like he did today, no way should we bring him back next year. He was pathetic today. And it's not like Bogut is an offensive juggernaut either. Bogut straight up owned Asik today.

I remember last year in the Portland/Houston series, Aldridge was tearing them up. I can't remember if Howard got that assignment or not, but Asik publicly said he wanted Aldridge after the second game. It didn't make a lick of difference. Asik is pretty overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepeelsessions View Post
    Well, if he plays the rest of the series like he did today, no way should we bring him back next year. He was pathetic today. And it's not like Bogut is an offensive juggernaut either. Bogut straight up owned Asik today.

I remember last year in the Portland/Houston series, Aldridge was tearing them up. I can't remember if Howard got that assignment or not, but Asik publicly said he wanted Aldridge after the second game. It didn't make a lick of difference. Asik is pretty overrated.
    His play against the Spurs was fantastic. Having said that, he takes away so much space for davis and any guards that penetrate because there is no reason to for bogut to guard Asik, that it is impossible for them to score when bogut is in. If he is in the game he has to be getting fouls on bogut or there really is no reason to keep him in. His rebounding helps, but I would say that he takes so much away on the offense side which in turn creates opportunities for the Warriors fast break. He just shouldn't play much this series. Bogut isn't a threat offensively, so what's the point of having Asik in there. Let Andrew bogut beat us and not the rest of the Warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepeelsessions View Post

It's about matchups.. Warriors are just a bad matchup for him. I don't agree with this.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    It's a false perception, I know. As people don't post thread singing someone's praises unless it's spectacular stuff they're talking about. But the sway from Asik's value being recognized to him being trashed can be so dramatic.

But this does seem like a team we would benefit most from playing small. But Ryan Anderson is such a defensive liability, we can't roll with him and AD for extended stretches unless he is absolutely money from deep. And ever since Gerald Wallace and the girlfriend thing, he just has not been the same.

Splitter was a god against Memphis and a train wreck against Miami. He got 5 yrs/45 mil.

There aren't many centers in the league who will be good in every matchup, and if they are, we can't get them.

Asik did really well against the other team with a chance at winning the West on Wednesday.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Splitter was a god against Memphis and a train wreck against Miami. He got 5 yrs/45 mil.

There aren't many centers in the league who will be good in every matchup, and if they are, we can't get them.

Asik did really well against the other team with a chance at winning the West on Wednesday.
    MM, what are your thoughts about starting Ryno and AD, and limiting Asik to bench duty this series based on matchups?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    MM, what are your thoughts about starting Ryno and AD, and limiting Asik to bench duty this series based on matchups?
    I believe I said in the podcast that Ryno should get more minutes than Asik and Ajinca combined in this series, so I am obviously down for it.

That said, I don't think anything we do will lead to a series win or more than 1 or 2 victories. But playing Ryno will give AD more space and allow him to have a great series and if I am going to lose the series anyway, I would at least like to lose it with AD playing like a beast.

I believe I said in the podcast that Ryno should get more minutes than Asik and Ajinca combined in this series, so I am obviously down for it.

That said, I don't think anything we do will lead to a series win or more than 1 or 2 victories. But playing Ryno will give AD more space and allow him to have a great series and if I am going to lose the series anyway, I would at least like to lose it with AD playing like a beast.
    Agreed

Asik really does kill our offense at times with having no shot but lay ups and dunks with limited athleticism. I hate watching other teams centers just clog the lane and don't worry about him. Even if Anderson is missing his presence in a game with Davis just opens the lane for everyone. Guards can drive and if the big wants to come on easy kick outs we could make. Also for Davis he can catch the ball far away from the basket and beat his guy wveytime with having 2 guys contesting him because Asiks guy will be right next to the basket waiting. Asik is a good player but I really think for this team having someone like even Jason Smith who can hit a mod ranger would be better for this team that Asik. I would much rather have Smith starting with Davis and Ajinca and Ryno as backups using Asiks $ on other positions. Jason Smoth would be a perfect fit next to Anthony Davis and not have to play many minutes having Anderson. Bring Smith back! Save $ for a top SF and more bench.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Asik really does kill our offense at times with having no shot but lay ups and dunks with limited athleticism. I hate watching other teams centers just clog the lane and don't worry about him. Even if Anderson is missing his presence in a game with Davis just opens the lane for everyone. Guards can drive and if the big wants to come on easy kick outs we could make. Also for Davis he can catch the ball far away from the basket and beat his guy wveytime with having 2 guys contesting him because Asiks guy will be right next to the basket waiting. Asik is a good player but I really think for this team having someone like even Jason Smith who can hit a mod ranger would be better for this team that Asik. I would much rather have Smith starting with Davis and Ajinca and Ryno as backups using Asiks $ on other positions. Jason Smoth would be a perfect fit next to Anthony Davis and not have to play many minutes having Anderson. Bring Smith back! Save $ for a top SF and more bench.
    Asik has only one shot in the game which is from an offensive rebound. If not using Asik in offense is the game play and Asik sticks with it, then why blame Asik? Asik sets good screens and played nice PnR in Houston days, he is rarely used in that way in NOP. I do not know why.

If you want to blame Asik in this game, blame his defense, which I agree was not good at all.
    Last edited by oasik; 04-19-2015 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    It's about matchups.. Warriors are just a bad matchup for him. I don't agree with this.
    I totaly agree . He should have a less role on this series . GSW plays with high pace and they don't have high scoring big man . This is a bad matchup for him . It could have been a total difference if we were to play against a team with a big presence inside like memphis spurs houston .

Omer has to a better job on bogut like he did on the regular season . He gave him very easy baskets . For rebounds , he didn't get much help from his teammates ...

Omer is a huge disadvantage for our offense this series except the screens . He's one of the best screen setters big man in the league . We used him extensively through the season for this special role . Because of he puts all his weight and power , our pg or sg easily passes and drives and it results of and ad mid range shot or a possible 3pt play . And yesterday we didn't do that . I don't know it was monty's decision or what , but it was a bad one . Normally he sets for a screen at least 10 maybe 15 time for a regular game , yesterday if I did count correctly it was only 4.

He should play 5-6 minutes of 1st&3rd quarter , and maybe 2-3 minutes on 2nd and 4th . That max 15-20 min max per game . And this minutes has to do with bogut on court otherwise he will slow the team down . Ajinca and anderson should play more...

I really hate asikhaters . Because this game was televised nationwide , most of people weren't aware of what he did for us on regular season . And after only one game , the blame is on omer . And it's total criticsm and lack of fair analyse like I did here...
    Last edited by moon54; 04-19-2015 at 06:56 AM.

If people hated Asik's defense yesterday, wait until Ryno gets into the starting lineup. #tragedy

He can't guard Green, Barnes, or Bogut

20min 3pts 5rbs and 4 fouls. Golden State isn't concerned about Ryno IMO.
    Last edited by UptownFuz504; 04-19-2015 at 08:04 AM.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    If people hated Asik's defense yesterday, wait until Ryno gets into the starting lineup. #tragedy

He can't guard Green, Barnes, or Bogut
    I think the argument is that neither guy can make an impact defensively against this team. So at least go with the guy who creates space and allows your MVP to play like an MVP.

Again:

AD w/ Asik: 3-9, 6 points, team was -13
    AD w/o Asik: 10-14, 29 points, team was +9

Much of that 2nd stat was with Ryno, including the 20 point AD outburst in the 4th.

They are gonna lose the series regardless. At least let your star shine.

I think the argument is that neither guy can make an impact defensively against this team. So at least go with the guy who creates space and allows your MVP to play like an MVP.

Again:

Much of that 2nd stat was with Ryno, including the 20 point AD outburst in the 4th.

As in, let your star have the Top Play of the night in his very first playoff game?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12720005

I think Ajinca would fare better than Asik in this series, especially offensively. He was solid in the first half when he got minutes. He doesn't get used at times IMO.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

"The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

All this Asik bashing is justified, but it was one game.

Two weeks ago, the Pels trailed the Warriors by 12 at the half. Asik scored 6 points, pulled down 4 boards, and picked up two fouls on Bogut in the first 3 minutes of the second half. Pels pulled within 2 because of that and went on to win.

One game great, one game bad. Let's see how he is moving forward.

Rookie
    One more time. This team can not win if OA does not play well. OA was not good and Pels lost. Simple.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Monty will probably continue to start Asik, btw.

So just get your anger out of the way now. He might switch up the minutes distribution, but I doubt he alters the starting lineup beyond the Tyreke thing.

I actually like Asik and in not bashing him for just this one game. I just think with what we will have to pay him I'll take a Jason Smith all day. When Asik is on the floor our guards and Davis have to work so hard to get to the basket bevIse no center in there right mind would cost him outside 2' of the rim. Even Bogut hs to be accounted for with a little spot up shot away from the basket. I have never even seen Asik attempt one which probably isn't such a bad thing but it's kill our offense at times. If he was athletic like Deandre then it's a little different because you have to worry about him catching alleys and slipping behind you or fast dunks and putbacks. Asik can't catch a ball that is coming fast or go up quick with the ball. Davis has so much space to work with when Anderson is on the floor and is near impossible to stop. I like Asik just not so much for this team and epically at the price he will demand. To me Jason Smith is a much better fit with Davis and Anderson when you consider the pay. Smith brings very good defense and a good rebounder not elite. His mid range game is elite amongst centers and power forwards. I also don't think Asik sets these amazing screens that Smith couldn't because you have nothing to worry about on an Asik screen.

Again:

Thanks for the stats of what the impact was. I don't care if Anderson scored a point with Davis on the floor but the problem to 2 present for a defense is so hard to stop. My favorite play is when Davis sets the screen and rolls to the rim with Anderson dropping back to the 3 point line behind him giving the guard 2 options with a clear sight at both and just make the right pass. Davis with a floor space on the court with him is near impossible to stop.

"The difference in Houston’s defense when Howard was in or out reminds me of 2013 when Houston’s defense collapsed whenever Omer Asik took a breather." - Source: http://www.red94.net/houston-rockets....HFBDxVMO.dpuf
    Last edited by oasik; 04-20-2015 at 02:48 AM.

Thread Information