Pelicans Report

Thread: Proud Thread or Whatever You Want to Call It

Proud Thread or Whatever You Want to Call It

1st Qtr: -15
    2nd Qtr: -3
    3rd Qtr: Even
    4th Qtr: +11

Stat that sticks out the most to me is we were even at 24 assists - half of them had to be in the 4th qtr.

But the most obvious: They showed tremendous heart - maybe an understatement.

This team is kicking themselves about that 1st quarter. We play like this the rest of the series and we have a punchers chance. Clearly, GSW is impressive, but they are beatable.

Very proud. Not upset in the slightest. Now they know.

Banned
    Proud they made the playoffs. Moral victories are for losers though. A loss is a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    Proud they made the playoffs. Moral victories are for losers though. A loss is a loss.
    And you could see that in their body language at the post-game conference. Both QPon and AD said the same thing. Doesn't matter what you do individually, bottom line, its a loss. But I think they've gained some measure of confidence in themselves that they can actually play with these guys. I don't think you'll see the "deer in the headlights" look again next game.

Banned
    I don't think you'll see haw miss that many free throws either.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    We got a glimpse of what can be and it is good. Moral victories are the 16th seed playing with the #1 seed for 15 minutes - losing by 15. The NBA is great because this is only one game - the first playoff game for 3 of our main players. We have 6 games left in this series and can beat this team.

This game can also help the Pels in game 6 of the Championship Series in 2017. That's more than a moral victory.

Banned
    I'll believe it when I see it. Otherwise it it is hyperbolian fandom .

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Here's something obvious.

Moral victories don't matter unless they lead to actual ones. So what happens next is all that matters. Do we take what strides we made and apply them to the next time around? Or was it just a brief flash of light before we are swallowed whole?

We are an 8 seed who just snuck into the playoffs in probably one of the toughest conferences in basketball history after all of our injuries and we're playing a team that's 39-2 at home. There were absolutely some positives tonight. We showed GS that we won't roll over. Today made me even more excited for Game 2.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    When you get into the playoffs by beating the defending champions in a game where they too were playing for something significant, I can't say we "snuck" into the playoffs. We earned out spot.

Let us see what happens in game 2.

Another way to look at it if we play defense in 1st halfwe win the game. Not mad just like to wonder.

We can win this series... We really can.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    I hope so. Another point JVG pointed out this could be a wake up call for G.S. too. Can't get too confident. That is when we get blown out. Let us just take it one game at a time
    Last edited by 4Real; 04-18-2015 at 08:06 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    I'll say this too. I get a feeling that people who have never seent he Pelicans play, (you know... most people). now know what we've all known. AD is from another planet. The team is on the verge of greatness.We all knew playoffs would happen. And while I still don't see a definite series win here, I do see a small chance at an upset. AD and the Pels have now been seen. And while it was ugly at first, they turned it up and showed that they will push a team to the limit. Do that every game, and any team will start to shake a little. You also get the fans shaking. The Pelicans have earned our respect. Now they just need to earn the respect of everyone else. Brow Down.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    When you get into the playoffs by beating the defending champions in a game where they too were playing for something significant, I can't say we "snuck" into the playoffs. We earned out spot.
    Oh we absolutely earned our spot. I meant "snuck in" as in we barely made it. Still 100% deserved.
    "3 words to describe me? Hardworking, alpha-male, jackhammer." - Dwight K Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    Add: If Curry gets hurt

and then we can have a conversation. And that's not a diss at our team. This Warriors team is historically good and elite at home. We haven't beaten a WC playoff team on the road since December 18th. So, the odds of us winning one at GS have to be, what, like 4%. And even if we do that, then we have to win all 3 at home. What are the odds of that? Maybe 15%?

Let's just enjoy these games and hope nobody (else) get hurt
    @mcnamara247

The ONLY thing that I'm upset about is the number of wide open layups we allowed. You're gonna give up either a jumper of a layup against Golden St... they shoot so well that you must respect the jumper, but you can't give up layups like that. If they're gonna make contested jumpers, or even open jumpers, then so be it.

But we must find a way to limit the number of easy layup drills.

Thread Information