Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A few upgrades on the site tonight

Blog Entries

A few upgrades on the site tonight

Hey all,

We're making some minor upgrades to the site to deal with security issues and related stuff. It will likely take place around 1 or 2 in the morning central time, and should only take 15-30 minutes if all goes well. Hopefully this will be the first of many improvements in the coming months.

Don't be surprised if we're down for an hour or so though as we may run into unexpected complications.

Just making sure we're ready for the playoffs!
    audaci favet fortuna (Thanks, Harvey)- Fortune favors the bold.
    R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl
    Bourbon Street Shots
    Saints247
    @GerrityJoe

My Real Estate Brokerage--WeSellNola.com
    My Vape Stores-- Crescent City Vape

Awesome! This is one of the best sports forums out!
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Is making the site mobile friendly anywhere near the top of the todo list?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    Is making the site mobile friendly anywhere near the top of the todo list?
    As of now tapatalk seems like the only way of making it mobile friendly. The new version of bulletin 5 might, but we're actually for now just upgrading to the most updated version of 4. We'll do some more stuff this summer.

Are there any forums out there that you find particularly mobile friendly?

The only other forum I frequent is TD, and I think they've done a good job of making the content fairly readable on a phone. You lose the avatars and sig pics so it's harder to tell who's talking, but it's all fairly easy to read and navigate.

I recommend tapatalk. Granted, some of the more recent updates are aggravating. I only find it aggravating because they're changing a lot, but as a result it has been a lot less buggy. Very good app, though, and it works excellently with this site. I think it's free now, too. Even if it isn't, it's worth the money.

But yeah, glad we're updating. Now that we're good and relevant again, we've gotta keep the trolls away! Good problem to have again!

Blog Entries
    Haha. It's been so long since real trolls showed up just to talk trash that it kinda felt good to just let them do it for a few hours. Then the ban hammer came down...

Honestly the only board with a good mobile part is an italian one but i still end up using tapatalk for that too, so i think it's pointless to put time into making this board more mobile-friendly, at least as far as i'm concerned. Anyway good job lads, keep it going

Thanks for all that you do Joe!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    Thanks for all that you do Joe!
    The mods do far more than I do (PELICANSFAN specifically deserves a lot of thanks), but thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gerrity View Post
    The mods do far more than I do (PELICANSFAN specifically deserves a lot of thanks), but thank you.
    We have more than 1 mod ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    We have more than 1 mod ?

Haha. Technically we have a lot of them. Even I moderate on occasion! I'm trying to get back to posting regularly instead of just lurking in the shadows. Essentially went through Pelicans depression for a long time. Real life was still awesome, but my basketball loving side was essentially in hibernation. That game against the Spurs helped A LOT.

With the GSW fans coming to troll I think we'll need all the help we can get this series, and maybe even more in round two once we stomp them.

Seeing some other boards out there, it's a real shame the league seems to not give a crap about allowing pure trash to represent their brand on this internet.

I have a new appreciation for the attention you and the others give to this board.

vBulletin 4.2.2 PL4 has been installed.

The forum should be running on the new server for everyone now.
    (If you're seeing this post then you're in the right place.)

Anyone reading this please take a look around and let us know if you see anything broken.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Also, if you have any other good ideas for improvements this would be the spot.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    I mentioned that I think that Pelicans related news articles should be on the home page, in another thread, and you said that you were working on that. That will be a good addition. Another site that I think is excellent is twobillsdrive.com. It's the Buffalo Bills fan site and it is a huge success. There are people with excellent inside sources who post, as well as actual local and national beat writers. Unlike the Jimmy Smiths, the reporters use their real names and the conversations can be excellent. Check it out

Any news on what the actual updates were to the board outside of the new server?

Blog Entries
    We switched to the more updated version of vbulletin for security issues, there's a blog now (which will probably have a post roughly once a week), the homepage had minor tweaking, and that's about it.

After we win the title this year we'll do some more substantial stuff, hopefully making the experience a little better for users. We just didn't want to delve in too far during the playoffs. There is a new version of Vbulletin out, but I'm unsure if we're going to upgrade to that or just make changes to version 4. We're going to change up the forums a little bit so there aren't 8 or whatever that are never posted in. The lagniappe lounge will see some updates as well.

Ideas are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gerrity View Post
    We switched to the more updated version of vbulletin for security issues, there's a blog now (which will probably have a post roughly once a week), the homepage had minor tweaking, and that's about it.

After we win the title this year we'll do some more substantial stuff, hopefully making the experience a little better for users. We just didn't want to delve in too far during the playoffs. There is a new version of Vbulletin out, but I'm unsure if we're going to upgrade to that or just make changes to version 4. We're going to change up the forums a little bit so there aren't 8 or whatever that are never posted in. The lagniappe lounge will see some updates as well.

Ideas are welcome.
    Is it an 'open' blog where members of the community can contribute, or more of a staff oriented blog?

I think a section where people can ask questions about the cap, salaries, nba rules, etc. would be good.

More explain objective facts than delve into opinion. Less bull. Fewer insults.

Just an FYI, I think the upgrade gave you a default favicon.ico file. I don't remember what graphic you had before but I'm pretty sure it wasn't this http://www.pelicansreport.com/favicon.ico

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    Just an FYI, I think the upgrade gave you a default favicon.ico file. I don't remember what graphic you had before but I'm pretty sure it wasn't this http://www.pelicansreport.com/favicon.ico
    Yah, I noticed that too. Should be fixed shortly. Thanks.

Is it an 'open' blog where members of the community can contribute, or more of a staff oriented blog?
    Yeah, if you would like to contribute let me know. One thing to note is that this blog is NOT going to be similar to BSS. Much more about strong opinions and, for lack of better words, gossip and rumors.

I think a section where people can ask questions about the cap, salaries, nba rules, etc. would be good.

More explain objective facts than delve into opinion. Less bull. Fewer insults.
    Agreed. Perhaps an opinion-free forum or something along those lines.

The favicon.ico has been restored to the original one before the upgrade.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Can we get some more contrast on the home page please?

All of the columns seem to be running together with the gray and white.

pelicans got swag Flight of the Pelicans's Avatar
    The twitter feed from pelicans players and writers cuts off halfway on mobile

#Let'sGoPels
    #WhoDatNation
    #GoRays

Thread Information