Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Eat Crow Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    To start this season I thought that we would have a relatively healthy year (#eatcrow) and narroly miss the playoffs (#eatcrow). I hated the Asik trade (I'll eat half a crow here), and I really thought Rivers would become a semi important player for us (#eatcrow). I also thought at the beginning of the season that AD wouldn't be the third best player in the league and while I still don't think he is, he is much closer than I thought (#eatcrow). Munty also made adjustments that I didn't expect him to make (#eatoldcrow).

...I'm full.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

I don't remember making many definite statements (more skeptical than anything), but for the ones I did I apologize for my relentless pessimism and will eat said crow. I'm just glad I saw improvement (which surprisingly were sparked by additions I thought were trivial). I will eat said crow for that as well.

I posted this irrational RANT in January;

Rant Who Cares?
    If the Pelicans make the playoffs. I for one no longer care. In July I posted a prediction of 42-40 and stated I would be happy with a winning season after 3 straight losing seasons. I guess I got irrationally exuberant when I started thinking playoffs this year was possible. I always knew the Pelicans were not serious contenders this year but I hoped to see some improvement. Since the Monday loss against the Wizards I no longer care if they do because there is no way this team as currently constructed could win a playoff game much less a series. This team can't match up and play against more physical teams especially during a physical playoff game. As a matter of fact if the team manages to somehow make the playoffs I will not buy tickets. I vow to not look up the NBA standings again the rest of this season. My focus from now on will be to see if the team is capable of improving and what players should stay and go. It looks like Monty has quit on Austin Rivers which is understandable considering his horrendous play. Unfortunately Tyreke and Ryno are rapidly losing my confidence. IMO we don't need home run hitters who strike out the next at bat. We need players who can get on base consistently. Don't get me wrong, I am still a huge fan and optimistic about the future. But I'm now focused on what team should be built to maximize AD's potential. The shortened rotation tonight did not work. This is the kind of thing I will be watching games to evaluate going forward.

The final indignity and reason to eat crow. I contacted my agent to purchase playoff tickets but discovered that I missed the window for purchasing. Munching on a big black CBD CROW like the kind that inhabit Lafayette Square.
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tip-Off View Post
    Sometimes I have been a bit harsh about Jen Hale but last night, she looked stunning...

I have to say, I've been critical of the guy, but I'm proud of the way Monty has handled things down the stretch. I'm still concerned about our defense and our lack of pace, but he has made some big strides as a young coach.

Also, Tyreke is still hit/miss for me. He plays so well sometimes, and then he makes the dumbest plays you'll see. He needs to keep the dumb shots to a minimum, and he needs to play within the offense more, but I think he is a good asset for this team. If he plays against GS like he did against the Spurs, we're going to have quite a series on our hands!

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I have to say, I've been critical of the guy, but I'm proud of the way Monty has handled things down the stretch. I'm still concerned about our defense and our lack of pace, but he has made some big strides as a young coach.

Also, Tyreke is still hit/miss for me. He plays so well sometimes, and then he makes the dumbest plays you'll see. He needs to keep the dumb shots to a minimum, and he needs to play within the offense more, but I think he is a good asset for this team. If he plays against GS like he did against the Spurs, we're going to have quite a series on our hands!
    Damm this is spot on with my thinking.
    I'm a grinder

I was seriously convinced Gordon was either broken or checked out early on. Not injured. Broken, low ceiling.

Wrong.

I was completely convinced that Gordon's attitude included deep dissatisfaction with this town an team.

Wrong.

Dell had more moves since October than I thought.

Jimmer simply did not appreciably improve with minutes, as I thought.

I hated the Q-Pon trade at the time and had given up on Eric Gordon ever affecting this team in a positive way. I was wrong on both counts. #eatcrow

As far as I recollect, I don't have to eat much crow. I may have to bite the crow a few times though lol.

•I have been somewhat critical of Dell trading draft picks for established players. If the team re-signs Asik to a reasonable contact, I feel he is far more valuable to the team than the #18 pick. If Holiday remains healthy, although Noel and a #10 pick was a high price to pay, the trade was solid. Noel and AD may have been too light in the pants and injury prone to be an ideal pairing in the post anyway.
    Last edited by PelicansBay; 04-17-2015 at 02:47 AM.

I was not high on Asik and developed his (H)Omer nickname. Since then he was playin' good.

At the beginning of the season I was able to give up almost everything to get rid of EJ

in both cases I was wrong

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    lol

Banned
    I thought Jimmer would fit in better with this team.

I defended Rivers too much.

There was never a point in the season that I actually believed we would make the playoffs until the final buzzer sounded on game 82. Glad I was wrong.

Da Weatherman Speaks! Contributor WeatherNLU's Avatar
    I had 100% given up on EG and quite honestly could not stand him. He really seems to have matured this season and came back on fire. Seems like his heart is back in New Orleans. #eatcrow

I survived Katrina, but nothing I owned did.

Blog Entries
    I also had entirely given up on EG both as a basketball player and a person.

It appears I was wrong. I've really enjoyed watching him improve throughout the season.
    audaci favet fortuna (Thanks, Harvey)- Fortune favors the bold.
    R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl
    Bourbon Street Shots
    Saints247
    @GerrityJoe

My Real Estate Brokerage--WeSellNola.com
    My Vape Stores-- Crescent City Vape

anyone else think of game of thrones when they read the thread title?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gerrity View Post
    I also had entirely given up on EG both as a basketball player and a person.

It appears I was wrong. I've really enjoyed watching him improve throughout the season.
    And he went to the watch party! And he unblocked me on twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    I thought Jimmer would fit in better with this team.

I defended Rivers too much.
    I am with you on he Jimmer thing. After the preseason (where he really showed out), he packed it in, and wasn't the same. I can't defend the guy anymore other than for his free throw shooting. As a shooter he is as effective as a cantelop in a gun fight.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I'm sorry for butchering Omer's name and thread jacking my own thread. I was tired last night.

I did think this team was going to have a winning record but wouldn't be in playoffs so #eatcrow

Thread Information