Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Thanks Ryno for ruining our playoff hopes

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    The argument "look what Ryno does with AD" is pure fluff. Of course Ryno and AD are great together, who isn't when they're out there with AD? Look at what happens when AD is on the floor with Gordon, Cunningham, Q-Pon. Hell put him out there with Ajinca and we are world beaters. This team will be fine whenever AD is out there.
    I think the argument more about what happens to AD when Ryan is off/on. AD shoots a higher percentage and also gets inside a lot more

Ryno is a good ancillary player. He should never be counted on to be a go to guy. All of this top 30, starting in this league stuff was blown way out of proportion. If I were his coach I'd tell him to stand on the 3pt line and wait for an open shot. If it's not open, pass and repeat. That's his recipe.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by PhilJFry View Post
    I think the argument more about what happens to AD when Ryan is off/on. AD shoots a higher percentage and also gets inside a lot more
    Can we all just agree that AD would be fine without Ryno? Ryno would not be fine without AD, D12 so forth and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Can we all just agree that AD would be fine without Ryno? Ryno would not be fine without AD, D12 so forth and so on.
    I mean sure, AD is a great player regardless of Ryan Anderson but the numbers are pretty drastic.
    With Ryan off the court: 27.9% of AD's shots come with in 0-3 feet and he shoots 67.4% on those shots

With Ryan on the court: 58.1% (!!!!!!) of AD's shots come with in 0-3 feet and he shoots 77% on those shots

Of course this isn't the be all and end all of the conversation, but it does provide evidence for the argument that Ryan opens up the paint A LOT when he is on the court; regardless of whether or not he is hitting.

And its not just AD, he's just the most drastic case. Tyreke, Gordon, Holiday all see similar effects.
    Last edited by PhilJFry; 04-09-2015 at 02:03 PM.

I mean sure, AD is a great player regardless of Ryan Anderson but the numbers are pretty drastic.
    With Ryan off the court: 27.9% of AD's shots come with in 0-3 feet and he shoots 67.4% on those shots

With Ryan on the court: 58.1% (!!!!!!) of AD's shots come with in 0-3 feet and he shoots 77% on those shots

Of course this isn't the be all and end all of the conversation, but it does provide evidence for the argument that Ryan opens up the paint A LOT when he is on the court; regardless of whether or not he is hitting.

And its not just AD, he's just the most drastic case. Tyreke, Gordon, Holiday all see similar effects.
    I think the main argument should be..."Does Ryan Anderson help us enough on offense to overlook his terrible defense." He just seems overmatched vs bench bigs and way over matched vs starting bigs on defense. I think Ryan Anderson is a luxury asset for the team not a core piece. He should be shooting 10 shots a game and not ever a go to player in an offense. Our second unit has to rely to much on him. One reason I want Jrue to come back. Even if he doesn't start..2nd units gets tremendously better with Reke or Jrue playing PG instead of Tony Douglas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice find!

I agree he makes everyone have easier looks in the paint, with just his presence (or "gravity") alone. Like most on this forum, I hate that midrange fading jumper he always tries. I am not sure if that is the play call, or him trying to do to much. But either way it needs to stop. I love his under the basket and 3 pt game though. I am not sure if he will ever be as efficient as he was in 13-14 again, it was only a 22 game sample size. But a 12-13 Ryan isnt to much to ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post
    I think the main argument should be..."Does Ryan Anderson help us enough on offense to overlook his terrible defense." He just seems overmatched vs bench bigs and way over matched vs starting bigs on defense. I think Ryan Anderson is a luxury asset for the team not a core piece. He should be shooting 10 shots a game and not ever a go to player in an offense. Our second unit has to rely to much on him. One reason I want Jrue to come back. Even if he doesn't start..2nd units gets tremendously better with Reke or Jrue playing PG instead of Tony Douglas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Definitely. I'm hoping that Monty is beginning to figure that out. Take the last two games as example. Against GSW there was no major post threat so Ryan played 30 minutes. Against Memphis he would basically always be overmatched and so he only played 12 minutes.

I wasn't really arguing for Ryan either way. I think he's been pretty awful this year. But he can be a very positive player if, like you said ,we utilize him better. I was mainly providing evidence of what exactly Ryan does to our offense.

Monty had all this info at his disposal on April 1st. All he had to do was read one man's article

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...erson-tidbits/

He has been bad, but he still can help in specific situations. He clearly needs to be the 3rd option on a unit, being utilized as more of a decoy for now until he gets his stroke back. That's on the coach IMO. Put him out there and ask him to help carry the second unit and he is gonna fail time after time.
    @mcnamara247

I think Ryno should play inside out more. Just coming in cold launching three's hasn't worked this season....Just saying

Here's my question for people - Do you think this is the Ryan Anderson we see for the rest of his career? Is he done? Will the rest of his career mirror this season or past seasons in your opinion?

I fully expect him to continue to struggle this season, but I think a full summer of conditioning gets him back to the old Ryno. What is your hypothesis?

I don't think Ryan is 100% do to his previous injury. Bring him back next season when he is fully healthy.

But then who can you rely on in the second unit to score out of Cole, DC, Ajinca, Douglas? Maybe Ajinca, but he seems so hot and cold to me. Sometimes he seems like a starter, other times he seems like he shouldnt be on an NBA team. I think honestly the answer is to pull gordon/evans at the 6-7 min mark in the first and replace them with cole/DC so they can run with the second unit. Just so we have someone to go to, to run the offense. Thats why I think having Jrue back would be so good for us. Whether it be him coming of the bench with that unit or evans, it would be a world of difference.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Here's my question for people - Do you think this is the Ryan Anderson we see for the rest of his career? Is he done? Will the rest of his career mirror this season or past seasons in your opinion?

I fully expect him to continue to struggle this season, but I think a full summer of conditioning gets him back to the old Ryno. What is your hypothesis?
    My hypothesis is that someone should print your article
    go to airline drive
    tape many copies all over Monty's car
    and then maybe he'll get the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    My hypothesis is that someone should print your article
    go to airline drive
    tape many copies all over Monty's car
    and then maybe he'll get the point.
    Something to the effect of this:

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    Something to the effect of this:

Do you know how many trees you kill doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    Enough to make the Pelicans an effective basketball team.
    ......seems worth it.

Do you know how many fan's you're killing by not doing that?

Ryno will have no value this summer. The obvious way to play this is to get him in the best shape of his life this summer and watch him have a bounce back season. Then, if you want to trade him, fine. But at least get some value.

Even if you dump him this summer, we won't have any cap space. So, what other alternatives are there?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Do you know how many fan's you're killing by not doing that?
    I'm sure he reads this forum every morning with his coffee. No need to kill a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Ryno will have no value this summer. The obvious way to play this is to get him in the best shape of his life this summer and watch him have a bounce back season. Then, if you want to trade him, fine. But at least get some value.

Even if you dump him this summer, we won't have any cap space. So, what other alternatives are there?
    I was listening to your podcast last night.
    Do you think/hope the team pretty much stays as is?
    What do we do with the MLE now?

I'm sure he reads this forum every morning with his coffee. No need kill a tree.
    He doesn't drink coffee.....that kills trees as well.

He doesn't drink coffee.....that kills trees as well.
    Well maybe he drinks milk?

I was listening to your podcast last night.
    Do you think/hope the team pretty much stays as is?
    What do we do with the MLE now?
    Due to how our roster is set up, the cap, the jump in 2016, etc, yes I think the best realistic course of action is to just run it back. Unless Gordon opts out, which could change everything.

I use part of the MLE to re-sign Cunningham if I can't get Jae Crowder. Sit on the rest of the MLE in case someone becomes available during the season, in which it gives me an advantage.

I run that team back and look for trades in season. If I can't find anything great, I go into 2016 summer as one of the upcoming teams in the NBA with AD and a ton of cap space.
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 04-09-2015 at 03:20 PM.

So he's into killing cows, eh?

Thread Information