Pelicans Report

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14

Thread: Game Thread: Pelicans @ Trailblazers - 4-04-15

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinHornet View Post
    Davis was flat tonight. You can bring up the Spurs all you want but that has nothing to do with how Anthony Davis usually plays/carries himself versus how he played and carried himself tonight. Maybe he really was upset about the stupid college where he spent 10 months of his life having their season end tonight.
    Yea your right becUse if they don't go on a 10-0 run and we win this is a non issue. Just another over reaction after a loss trying to find whatever negative you can to blame someone. Did Davis play bad tonight? Yes he sure did. Did it have to do with how his face looked? I highly doubt it when he carries himself near the same way when he scores 40 with maybe a scream and chest bump once or twice and rightfully so because he is dominating. I would hope he does look disappointed when he isn't playing well. You toss out the Spurs example out because it just proves what you are saying wrong.

Was AD being guarded by LA tonight? Could facing an All Star PF be the reason why AD "didn't show up" tonight?

That aside, dude has been playing some serious minuets, and people cry about Tom Thib running players into the ground.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Was AD being guarded by LA tonight? Could facing an All Star PF be the reason why AD "didn't show up" tonight?

That aside, dude has been playing some serious minuets, and people cry about Tom Thib running players into the ground.
    Yea but no one wants to think exhausting yourself guarding arguably the most talented offensive PF in the league as a reason why he was off on offense. Aldridge isn't a great defender but a good one and athletic enough with length to give Davis problems. The kid had a bad game for his standards and it is going to happen from time to time. He could have been yelling and having a pissed face all he wants but that wasn't going the change anything. I just don't understand how everyone is all the sudden body language experts and blames Davis for not wanting to win because he didn't look like it. He is not a person I would say is expressive or passionate looking ever but still puts up stats out of this world. Even on nights when he goes off for career games you will see a scream or a chest bump once or twice a game when a timeout is called and that is it. You see no reaction after made shots, alley oops, or blocked shots. It just not him and it never will be and I am perfectly fine with that. Doesn't seem to have stopped Leonard from winning Finals MVP or Duncan getting 5 rings. If showing expression was what it took to win and go all the way then Westbrook would have 5 championships right now.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post

Who defends you is irrelevant versus energy and effort.

Secondly, LA is not a good defender and AD has never had any problems getting his versus him in the past. AD looked tired or dis-interested. Neither is a good thing.

I think the 3rd game in 4 nights while on a road trip took its toll too. It also didn't help that Portland destroyed us on the glass, shot way more FTs than us, and that we had way too many guys play a lot of minutes and give us jack squat.

Yes maybe AD should have taken over and put up a 40pt game and lead us to victory. I think it's clear he is tired and USA BB didn't help.

But we also had 5 guys play a total of 95 minutes and none scored over 6 pts. Stuff like that can't happen either. Especially when most of those guys have some playoff experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I think the 3rd game in 4 nights while on a road trip took its toll too. It also didn't help that Portland destroyed us on the glass, shot way more FTs than us, and that we had way too many guys play a lot of minutes and give us jack squat.

Yes maybe AD should have taken over and put up a 40pt game and lead us to victory. I think it's clear he is tired and USA BB didn't help.

But we also had 5 guys play a total of 95 minutes and none scored over 6 pts. Stuff like that can't happen either. Especially when most of those guys have some playoff experience.
    Yeah, Asik wasn't nearly as dominant on the glass. 24 hours after banging around with Cousins.

My issue is with how Monty is using Ryno. I mean, I am not the smartest guy in the world, but the data was clear to me before Ryno returned - he makes great players even greater. And when you make him the focal point of a unit, he struggles. It's not rocket science. But last night, he played exclusively with backups until the very end when the lead was too big. And wouldn't you know - he hit a three on his first possession in.

There were only two guys Ryno should have been defending last night - Meyers Leonard or Nic Batum, as part of a 3 big lineup. He had no business ever defending Aldridge or Kaman.

Put a player in a position where he can succeed or fail, and he fails, and I put the blame on the player. Put a player in a position where he can only fail and I put that on the coach. Last night, it was on Monty.
    @mcnamara247

Amy Schwartz @TheAmySchwartz · 11h 11 hours ago
    Nicolas Batum, Chris Kaman, and LaMarcus Aldridge will not travel with the #Blazers to Brooklyn per sources. Will all stay home to rest.

Of course they would rest people on a non b2b game gtfo

Quote Originally Posted by rowen12 View Post
    Amy Schwartz @TheAmySchwartz · 11h 11 hours ago
    Nicolas Batum, Chris Kaman, and LaMarcus Aldridge will not travel with the #Blazers to Brooklyn per sources. Will all stay home to rest.

Of course they would rest people on a non b2b game gtfo
    I personally don't want to back into the playoffs anyway. I want to know we earned a playoff birth.

If we can't beat good teams, we don't deserve to be in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I personally don't want to back into the playoffs anyway. I want to know we earned a playoff birth.

I agree with that but I'm pretty sure yesterday you have felt different if they would have did that. Also its really hard to be good teams on the road, this could have made up for the times we had injuries and lost vs very bad teams.

I agree with that but I'm pretty sure yesterday you have felt different if they would have did that. Also its really hard to be good teams on the road, this could have made up for the times we had injuries and lost vs very bad teams.

Nah, I said the same thing to people on Twitter yesterday afternoon. Got a ton of questions about whether GS or SA rests their guys.

We have won three games against the top 7 in the West since January 1st. If we can't beat playoff teams, I couldn't care less if we get in. Just tells me we are not on that level.

Ok, Lol!

So, if we expect more wins and change our attitude, then the Pels will win games like tonight?

Okay, I will try it. But if it doesn't work, I am gonna blame you.
    You know what I mean. Look at our attitude with the Saints. We as fans should do our part, support, hold them to higher standards. If the message to these guys of "we believe in you" or "you're better what you're displaying" does not come across to them, then management also would feel the need to make changes if necessary. They've already stated it, they need the fans. Look at the your standard of holding people accountable for their opinions. If intelligent, people would embrace that(I appreciate someone asking me to clarify my statements).

This team has met my standards.

If you had told me Jrue would miss 45 games, Gordon and Ryno 20 each, AD close to 15, etc. - I would have gladly taken 44-45 wins.

I don't know how any rational person could have expected more.

Davis has struggled, and he has also been facing Cousins, Aldridge, and other guys who get paid as well. He isn't facing the B team at the local YMCA.

We shoot for 50+ wins

This team has met my standards.

If you had told me Jrue would miss 45 games, Gordon and Ryno 20 each, AD close to 15, etc. - I would have gladly taken 44-45 wins.

I don't know how any rational person could have expected more.
    You always set/aim the goal higher. Every team has injuries, OKC was hit harder than the Pelicans, yet their team is outperforming ours. I guess everyone's expectations are different and if that's what you expected then so be it. Mine are higher ("Next man up"). I still believe this team still has the parts to defeat the higher seeded teams in the west..

You can set whatever expectations you want. But my issue is you calling people out for theirs.

Just because you think it was realistic to expect a 20 win jump doesn't mean everyone else should be equally as unrealistic. You set yours, others will set theirs. Nobody is a better fan than the other

It's wonderful how it takes 14 pages to discuss how we lost this game. Not only are people dumping on Anderson, now we dumping on AD
    and calling on someone that hasn't played in 41 games. By the way what was our record the last game that jrue played. It's not the players, it all comes down to coaching. Just read these last 14 pages as the game was going on, and u will see the reason Monty has to go. Here are two name's that nobody spoke about Robin Lopez and Chris K, verus asik and anderson.

I called out no one

You can set whatever expectations you want. But my issue is you calling people out for theirs.

Just because you think it was realistic to expect a 20 win jump doesn't mean everyone else should be equally as unrealistic. You set yours, others will set theirs. Nobody is a better fan than the other
    I simply urged people to change their attitudes about losing, that it is not Ok. I'm sorry if you saw it differently.

When I watch Westbrook play and then come here and read how people are satisfied with this season, I just shake my head. WB wants to win every game. There are no moral or Pyrrhic victories for him. I love that. Winning should be the focus.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Davis is like the opposite of Rasheed Wallace. Wallace was only a good player but he would go toe to toe with Garnett and Duncan. Where Davis by the numbers is the best player in the league but gets outplayed by Cousins/Aldridge

Wallace was the badest man in the NBA, nobody is ever going to confuse AD with that.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    When I watch Westbrook play and then come here and read how people are satisfied with this season, I just shake my head. WB wants to win every game. There are no moral or Pyrrhic victories for him. I love that. Winning should be the focus.
    A lot of that has to do with AD only being in his 3rd year in the league. Westbrook is on a mission to try and prove he is the man on that team.

AD doesn't have that same drive and possibly even conditioning yet. I fully expect in his prime he will have both just like Westbrook.

And yet, he has lost 5 of his last 6.

This "try harder" thing is good and all. According to the announcers today, the Thunder players were saying each game was do or die and they were gonna go all out every game. Sometimes, that doesn't matter. Sometimes the other team is just better. I don't think it is a poor mentality to admit that another team is better than the team you root for.

Winning is always the desired outcome, but it's not like you can control that outcome. And when it doesn't happen, its not like getting mad about it is gonna change the fact that the other team was simply better. I am sure Westbrook has high expectations, wants to win, etc. Hasn't helped recently.

Well then every team that does not win a championship is considered a failed season. I don't believe that to be the case. Life is not black or white, neither should sports be like that. Nothing wrong with seeing progression and being happy with that.

Now next year our logical progression is to get into the postseason, if we miss the mark there then I'd say we have a problem. But I just cant have that mindset of its all or nothing. I'm a silver lining type of guy. We are where we need to be as an organization imo.

Thread Information