Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Ryno!

When DC came here and was knocking down something ridiculous like above 50 percent of his catch and shoot jumpshots and making big defensive plays coupled with hustle plays on offense I was ecstatic. That luster has worn off and now that his rate has dropped down to 41% on catch and shoot 2 pointers - of which he takes too many from long two IMO - and has seemingly regressed defensively.

I have gone from wanting to keep him around almost more then Q-pon(when he first got here) to not really caring to resign him unless it is for the league minimum and to be a end of the bench guy.

Q-pon went from "meh he is decent defensively and has some energy but not worth the cost" to "damn, if he keeps this up we might just have found our own Robert Covington type steal." Its like the opposite of DC.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 04-02-2015 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    When DC came here and was knocking down something ridiculous like above 50 percent of his catch and shoot jumpshots and making big defensive plays coupled with hustle plays on offense I was ecstatic. That luster has worn off and now that his rate has dropped down to 41% on catch and shoot 2 pointers - of which he takes too many from long two IMO - and has seemingly regressed defensively.

I have gone from wanting to keep him around almost more then Q-pon(when he first got here) to not really caring to resign him unless it is for the league minimum and to be a end of the bench guy.

Q-pon went from "meh he is decent defensively and has some energy but not worth the cost" to "damn, if he keeps this up we might just have found our own Robert Covington type steal." Its like the opposite of DC.
    Yep, it takes more than a handful of games to see if a player is hot and getting lucky or cold and getting unlucky.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    Yep, it takes more than a handful of games to see if a player is hot and getting lucky or cold and getting unlucky.
    Those two do go back and forth, ( hot cold)which is why they are role players

Quote Originally Posted by carpo View Post
    MM i think there are a few reasons people dont complain about DC.

1) he plays hard.. its hard to dislike a guy who works his tail off and wins you 50/50 balls time after time.
    2) he plays within himself, he rarely takes bad shots and when he does its usually late shot clock.
    3) defensive effort, when you have a team where more or less everyone is inept on D or doesnt seem to give the necessary effort, it stands out when someone does.
    4) theres not really anyone banging on the door for his minutes, babbit just cant defend either the 3 or 4 role effectively.
    5) he is probably a small ball 4 who can guard 3s in a pinch, people here understand that he is playing alot of 3 by necessity.
    6) he isnt ryan anderson.... ie he doesnt stop the ball, jack up bad shots or play matador D.

At least thats my take
    P.S. 7) He is making vet min and barely cost anything against our cap space(People love CAP SPACE).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post
    P.S. 7) He is making vet min and barely cost anything against our cap space(People love CAP SPACE).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    But Willie Green and Stiemsma barely made anything too and they got bashed mercilessly, so I don't buy that one.
    @mcnamara247

I think it's all context (I mean generally it always is), And what it usually means is that they're either terrible, or have another player with upside not playing as much that you think could/should play more.

With Green he was usually taking time away from Thornton, and he was a little trigger happy at times, so often you'd be thinking he isn't that good give Thornton a chance.

With steimsma he was almost as bad a fouling machine as ajinca with less offensive output than asik. I think Withy was there as well so people were calling for him to get some burn over the steamer.

With DC, i think there aren't many options with much upside, every player has pretty big holes so even if he isn't your best option, he's probably not the worst either. And he hasn't really gotten burnt that much by his defensive assignment either, which helps. Perhaps the mistakes he makes aren't as noticeable as they aren't on the ball as much compared to say steamer.

I think another thing is that people remember what our options were before, and defensively they were atrocious (Babbit and salmons, rotating doors on D) so not much complaining because we know it could be ALOT worse. I think sometimes people have noted at times that Babbit should have gotten more time because he could spread the floor better for Reke, especially when so many players were out, but nothing major.

Also I think that our team historically has usually been pretty weak on the wing, at either at the 2 or 3. If we were solid on one we were usually lacking on the other, so to have a rotation worthy wing that isn't horrendously bad, we're pretty happy. If you're comparing 1s or bigs where we've almost always had decent talent, people get up in arms about it because the drop off is much bigger.

Not saying that these are good reasons, but that to me makes up alot of the reason why people aren't complaining as much. I personally have sometimes scratched my head at why DC sometimes got more minutes than say Qpon, but I would be looking at the box score not the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

You guys still just don't get it. Fans don't ***** about Cunningham because they ENJOY watching him knock himself out, every night. If his jumper is hitting, that's a bonus. If it isn't, fans still know they're going to get maximum effort, which they appreciate. It's not always about the numbers.

I don't fully buy that. Rivers and Willie Green tried as hard as they could too. Willie Green, in fact, was always the first guy on the court working pre game. Stiemsma tried hard too. So did Lou Amundson, but all were punch lines for our fans and Monty got killed when they got too many minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I don't fully buy that. Rivers and Willie Green tried as hard as they could too. Willie Green, in fact, was always the first guy on the court working pre game. Stiemsma tried hard too. So did Lou Amundson, but all were punch lines for our fans and Monty got killed when they got too many minutes.
    Steamer was a giant pile of dog poo. That's why he gets hated on. I think most people acknowledge Cunningham is playing out of position and even so his splits are 1000x better than Steamer was here.

Also, we've seen the bottom of the barrel in Salmons at SF so we take nothing for granted anymore. Cunningham is average at best but we love him for not being Steamer or Salmonella bad.

It's hard to hate on Cunningham because he does what is in his capacity and it.actually helps us.
    I'm a grinder

Funny to see those who stopped posting in this thread. Funnier to the negative posts continue, however.

Major, major faulty analysis. I hope some will take a cue that their knowledge is not perfect. It's fine to make a reasonable claim, find out it is not true, and to adjust / learn. I am not sure why this is not more widely recognized.

But Willie Green and Stiemsma barely made anything too and they got bashed mercilessly, so I don't buy that one.
    but look at the thread title again..that's why it's more about money in this case. Not that i necessarily agree.
    Anderson can be a great player most nights. But he sure wasn't shy on his off ones though. I've said before on here that we have a better cast around him now, so on the "off" nights, i hope he chooses to defer a bit more.
    I'd love to see how he and Reke would perform in a 7 game series. If they're on point, combined with AD, we could be a tough out for GS.

I see what you are saying but I would say it's a little of a stretch. DC has had far more "good moments" or positive plays than steamer ever did. Willie green I would say is equal to DC but I would bet DC gets less usages so his bad moments aren't as visible where as willie was sometimes a black hole but got way more usage.

I agree with you that now that DC is back down to earth I would like to see him be the odd man out though.

I see what you are saying but I would say it's a little of a stretch. DC has had far more "good moments" or positive plays than steamer ever did. Willie green I would say is equal to DC but I would bet DC gets less usages so his bad moments aren't as visible where as willie was sometimes a black hole but got way more usage.

I agree with you that now that DC is back down to earth I would like to see him be the odd man out though.

Wllie Green has always been garbage in +/- his whole career he probably should not of had a long career like he has.

It's all good. I don't want DC getting any hate. Just like I don't want Ryno getting hate. Players are always a combination of good and bad. We should never treat them like they are just one or the other

Curious - why doesn't Dante Cunningham get some of the hate Willie Green or even Stiemsma got? Not all, but some.

People couldn't stand how much Monty played those guys, but I don't hear anything about Cunningham and he is getting 26 minutes since arriving. You think he plays 20 for any other playoff team?

Guy started off hot (52%), but his shooting has declined every month, down to 40.8% last month. Offensive rating of 87, defensive rating of 106 last month. Rebounding has been average at best. Yeah he hustles, but again the production is meh.

I am not trying to start a bash Cunningham thread, I am just always curious why some guys escape criticism and others get nothing but criticism when both groups play poorly. Personally, I though Willie Green gave us as much if not more than DC has been giving us lately and Green got torn apart by fans.
    It's pretty simple, for the fans Willie Green, Austin Rivers (well not always) and Stiemsma were all on the courst instead of someone else they would have rather given a chance instead (Thornton and Withey mainly). The problem was not about their play level but rather that people thought that there were someone on the bench that could provide better if given a chance. So it was more about the coaching bias than anything. No fans actually believe that anyone on this bench can do better than DC at his position so no one complains about his drop of production. Lack of production can be criticized but you can't hate someone if you can't find anyone who can do a better job.

It's the same issue with Ryno ... as good as he is, you can't stop some fans thinking that on those bad nights Davis/Asik/Ajinca could have done better. They may not be as virulent now that Ajinca is back to earth production-wise but still it's all about perspective and not about stats.

Thread Information