Pelicans Report

Thread: The Pels are a bunch of NBA misfits.

The Pels are a bunch of NBA misfits.

I am putting together an article (that I will post when ready) about the assembly of this Pels team, focusing less on the stats and more so on the fact that most players on this roster were just plain unwanted. The first piece will cover the core guys (Ryno, Jrue, Evans, Asik). And the bench will be covered later.

There are some caveats here and there of course, but overall I think it is pretty interesting.

Are there any other teams that are currently built with this "formula"?

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    What do you mean by "unwanted"?
    Cause I can list some players that weren't picked up or teams were moving in a different direction.

Dallas: Monta, Parsons, Chandler, Rondo, Stoudemire
    Philadelphia: Made almost entirely of D-League.
    Milwaukee: Jason Kidd, MCW, Larry Sanders (he didn't want Milwaukee, or basketball)
    Lakers: Boozer, Lin, Wesley Johnson, Nick Young, Tarik Black
    Sacramento: Rudy Gay, Derrick Williams, Darren Collison

NYK: Galloway, Calderon, Thomas, J. Smith, Larkin, Amundson, Acy, Aldrich, Shved, Ledo

This may be the most perfect example.

I wouldn't really say that all the players on the team are "unwanted". Ryno has been pretty much sought after before his injuries, most notably by the Rockets. Injuries have derailed this team from finding any chemistry whatsoever. Jrue has actaully been putting up decent stats for a point guard before the injuries.

The Ryno want is overstated. He's played on a few teams and his previous team basically let him go for nothing. I think the OP's statement is legit. Houston did have interest but I don't see where he's this overly sought after player.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Ryno is interesting because he had two fantastic seasons in Orlando yet didn't get a big offer outside of the one from the Pels. Elite stretch 4.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

I don't think the Pels have these type of players any more than other teams do. Not sure I follow. There are several (as listed by other poster) teams with players that would fall under the same category as a Holiday, Ryno, Reke, And a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    What do you mean by "unwanted"?
    Cause I can list some players that weren't picked up or teams were moving in a different direction.

Dallas: Monta, Parsons, Chandler, Rondo, Stoudemire
    Philadelphia: Made almost entirely of D-League.
    Milwaukee: Jason Kidd, MCW, Larry Sanders (he didn't want Milwaukee, or basketball)
    Lakers: Boozer, Lin, Wesley Johnson, Nick Young, Tarik Black
    Sacramento: Rudy Gay, Derrick Williams, Darren Collison
    Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    I don't think the Pels have these type of players any more than other teams do. Not sure I follow. There are several (as listed by other poster) teams with players that would fall under the same category as a Holiday, Ryno, Reke, And a few others.
    Ok, I did not phrase what I wanted to say correctly. While there are players that are "unwanted" as pointed out in those listings above, I picked the wrong word to get across my point.

I guess the best way I could think of to classify these guys is the "Nobody believes in us" label. These guys were appreciated and bring legitimate talent to the table, but were deemed expendable by their former teams. Just to play off the Knicks example, those guys are presumably place holders until the proper pieces come into play. Dell Demps hand picked these guys in particular as the fits to his vision. That is what I am trying to get across, and admittedly failed at doing so in the first post..

Personally, I believe my thought process will become clear when looking at guys like Dante Cunningham (the domestic case), Ajinca and Babbitt (overseas) in the second piece.

Here is the first article: http://bigeasybeliever.com/2015/03/3...f-misfit-toys/
    Last edited by Yanks2740; 03-31-2015 at 11:49 AM.

First guy I thought of after reading the thread title was Reke. I can see many GMs and HCs not wanting to deal with his style of ball. It's what can make him a perfect sixth man in our system, imo...with a healthy (knock on wood) Jrue, of course.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inigo.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	5915

misĀ·fit/ˈmisˌfit/
    noun
    a person whose behavior or attitude sets them apart from others in an uncomfortably conspicuous way.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inigo.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	5915
    Love this movie, character, line.

Thread Information