Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anthony Davis with and Without Ryno.. Is Ryno hindering AD's offensive potential?

I'm surprised this thread popped up after the way that our bench played against Houston last week, or the Bucks, or multiple other times where they were complete no shows.

With as much as AD has been playing with our 2nd unit lately I cannot imagine a world where Ryno doesn't help our team out a lot.

Amazing what you can convince yourself of when you misuse data.

I wonder if we start to see Cole play more with the first unit when Ryan returns. Give Tyreke and Anderson some run together.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilJFry View Post
    I wonder if we start to see Cole play more with the first unit when Ryan returns. Give Tyreke and Anderson some run together.
    The only chance of that happening might be when Jrue returns also. With him out Reke is our clear cut #1 guard and will get almost all of his minutes with the 1s.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    The only chance of that happening might be when Jrue returns also. With him out Reke is our clear cut #1 guard and will get almost all of his minutes with the 1s.
    I wasn't suggesting to start Cole or anything like that. Just have Cole be the first sub for Tyreke and then bring Tyreke back early while the bench is still in for a while. Just stagger it some.

For every point Ryno gets

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Of course not. Here is the real data:

Davis with Ryno: 58% FG, 24.1 pts per 36, 12 rebs
    Davis WITHOUT Ryno: 52.2% FG, 24.7 pts per 36, 9.4 rebs

Pelicans with AD and Ryno: +7.8 pts per 48 mins
    Pels with AD and no Ryno: +3.5 pts per 48

Case closed?
    He gives up 2. A real look at player efficiency is points scored vs points scored upon and dimes vs turnovers. Ryno plain and simple shoots too much at the wrong times and can't guard a turtle with a broken leg. I like him when heoperates as a compliment to AD, but he takes it upon himself to do more than his skillset allows. He's expendable in my opinion. Jrue on the other plays D and can score but like Ryno has the injury bug. A combo of Cole,Jrue and Reke makes for a diverse backcourt. Also I'd rather have my small forward(Babbit) shooting threes than a stretch 4.

Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    He gives up 2. A real look at player efficiency is points scored vs points scored upon and dimes vs turnovers. Ryno plain and simple shoots too much at the wrong times and can't guard a turtle with a broken leg. I like him when heoperates as a compliment to AD, but he takes it upon himself to do more than his skillset allows. He's expendable in my opinion. Jrue on the other plays D and can score but like Ryno has the injury bug. A combo of Cole,Jrue and Reke makes for a diverse backcourt. Also I'd rather have my small forward(Babbit) shooting threes than a stretch 4.
    I listed facts. I don't know what this paragraph would be called but there is not a fact in here.
    @mcnamara247

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Whatever happened to just being happy a guy was getting healthy...so we could trade that player?

I miss the good old days before we discussed how players meshed.

It's called an eye test

I listed facts. I don't know what this paragraph would be called but there is not a fact in here.
    Facts and stats are what they are. They don't show the whole picture. A combo of both facts/stats and intangibles are more realistic. Things such situational decision making(too take a shot or not), clutch shooting, momentum changers(either offensive or defensive) are intangibles. I've called Reke a inconsistent/bad decision maker and Ryno has had his share of good intangibles but more of the bad. If he was consistent it would be a no-brainer. I'm not blaming him for all the team's woes, but his offense doesn't stack up well against his other deficiencies...whether due to injuries or not.

Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    Facts and stats are what they are. They don't show the whole picture. A combo of both facts/stats and intangibles are more realistic. Things such situational decision making(too take a shot or not), clutch shooting, momentum changers(either offensive or defensive) are intangibles. I've called Reke a inconsistent/bad decision maker and Ryno has had his share of good intangibles but more of the bad. If he was consistent it would be a no-brainer. I'm not blaming him for all the team's woes, but his offense doesn't stack up well against his other deficiencies...whether due to injuries or not.
    And your one stat was that for every point Anderson scores, he gives up two. Which is hyperbole and obviously false.

If you want to say... 'My opinion is....' and then tell us what your eyes see, then that is fine. But arguing as if you are doing so with any sort of facts whatsoever is misleading.

Yes, eye test and stats should both be used. Neither is all powerful. My issue isn't with eye test, it is with human memory and human bias. I believe most peoples eyes are fine. Memories are terrible and biases make that mind paint the picture it wants to paint.

In sterlr's defense, you can't possibly watch any games that Ryno play's in and not see that teams target him on the defensive end. Stats aside, what do you see when you watch the games? You can honestly makes stats paint whatever picture you want them to paint. There are tons of books about that.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

In sterlr's defense, you can't possibly watch any games that Ryno play's in and not see that teams target him on the defensive end. Stats aside, what do you see when you watch the games? You can honestly makes stats paint whatever picture you want them to paint. There are tons of books about that.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    I wrote a whole piece today and pointed out the bad. I have no issues pointing out the bad because there was quite a bit.

But there were facts in there and no hyperbole. I don't think that is too much to ask for from others too.

Funny how stats are to blame when they are misused or misunderstood rather than blaming the misuser or misunderstander.

Also, funny how when someone brings up a stat, the seeming reflex is to say that is not the whole story. Duh. What is the whole story, though? The eye test is not. Experience is not. Stats certainly are not. Wins and losses are not.

I work in investment banking. Upon completing my 3 year financial forecast and noticing a few errors my boss who has been in the business for the better part of 4 decades leans over to me and says, "UNO Gracias, don't worry about your projections. The investors have their own people that will be sifting through past financial records, and their projections probably won't match up to yours. Your incorrect projections aren't going to stop an investor from investing."

In short, present whatever stats that you want. Right or wrong, your stats aren't going to be the reason people find fault with a player.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I wrote a whole piece today and pointed out the bad. I have no issues pointing out the bad because there was quite a bit.

But there were facts in there and no hyperbole. I don't think that is too much to ask for from others too.
    I didn't see your article yet but I feel that the case for/against Ryno isn't back and white and both sides have merit.

With Ryan, less is more. He isn't an iso-guy, which is what his game has evolved to this season. He needs to be off the ball, and he should only do his post, post, fadeaway when the shot clock is low. If he can play within himself like he did in years past, then he'll return to an elite bench big who can close games for us.

This is an absurd thread but I'll bite. How many minutes has AD been playing in Ryno's absence? If he's playing more minutes and taking more shots he will put him bigger numbers, it's that simple. Comparing a handful of games to most of the season has no statistical significance for obvious reasons. The Pelicans have lost a lot of winnable games recently like losing to Phoenix scoring only 72 points, that is awful. This team has been playing like crap recently so I just don't understand this thread when the team has more or less played themselves out of the playoff race without Ryno. Before Ryno got hurt they had a much better chance of making the playoffs.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 04-01-2015 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    With Ryan, less is more. He isn't an iso-guy, which is what his game has evolved to this season. He needs to be off the ball, and he should only do his post, post, fadeaway when the shot clock is low. If he can play within himself like he did in years past, then he'll return to an elite bench big who can close games for us.
    I agree. Mostly.

Last year in the clutch(5 minutes or less in the fourth with a lead 5 points or closer - which mind you is a smaller sample size). He was 44% from the field and 36% from three. 6-4 W/L. 112 OFF Rating, 95.6 DEF Rating.

This year he is 17% from the field and 7% from three under that same clutch scenario coming into tonight. 10-14 W/L. 106 OFF Rating, 115 Def Rating.

When you combine those poor numbers this year with his poor defense he appears to be a liability closing games for us. That is my biggest issue with him right now. And my biggest issue with how Monty uses him. Until his injury he was pretty much given a completely free pass for his poor play and it was to our teams detriment. He was trotted out there to close games night after night despite very little actually showing that it was beneficial to our team to do so.

I liked what Monty said about our second unit can be very dangerous if Ryan plays within the team. Hopefully he recognizes that Ryan needs to be molded a bit to get him back to where he was last season. Maybe what MM said about his supporting cast is true(I think he hit the nail on the head there) but that doesnt quite explain his poor play with starters in closing minutes. Maybe having a better second unit will help carry over to a better mentality down the stretch. I certainly hope so.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 04-02-2015 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    This is an absurd thread but I'll bite. How many minutes has AD been playing in Ryno's absence? If he's playing more minutes and taking more shots he will put him bigger numbers, it's that simple. Comparing a handful of games to most of the season has no statistical significance for obvious reasons. The Pelicans have lost a lot of winnable games recently like losing to Phoenix scoring only 72 points, that is awful. This team has been playing like crap recently so I just don't understand this thread when the team has more or less played themselves out of the playoff race without Ryno. Before Ryno got hurt they had a much better chance of making the playoffs.
    name one game during rynos absence that we lost that was winnable when AD was on the floor, that suns game he was injured??
    How have we been playing crap.. we are 1.5 games out of the playoffs, we werent even close when ryno was last healthy

your numbers don't add up, without ryno we had a 62% winning percentage and with AD and no ryno we had a 70% winning percentage..
    Considering atm we dont have a record above 60%.. and you claim we were actually making a run for the playoffs, i just dont get it?
    Last edited by Pantazis76; 04-02-2015 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    name one game during rynos absence that we lost that was winnable when AD was on the floor, that suns game he was injured??
    How have we been playing crap.. we are 1.5 games out of the playoffs, we werent even close when ryno was last healthy

your numbers don't add up, without ryno we had a 62% winning percentage and with AD and no ryno we had a 70% winning percentage..
    Considering atm we dont have a record above 60%.. and you claim we were actually making a run for the playoffs, i just dont get it?
    There are five games that the Pelicans lost that were winnable had Ryno played. Losing to the Jazz by 4 at home. Losing to Boston by 6 at home. Losing to Denver in double OT at home by 7. Losing to Phoenix by 2 on the road in a game the team only scored 72 points. Losing to Houston by 2 at home. The team very well could have won all of those games had Ryno played. If you truly believe the Pelicans would have lost all those games had Ryno played, leave it not to me to convince you otherwise.

Our longest win streak of this season was when AD was injured. I don't put much stock into trying to evaluate a player based off strictly a W/L record. Out schedule was considerably harder when Ryno was playing and we were missing Gordon and/or Jrue for a good chunk of them.

Ryno scored 5 @ Utah and 28 vs Utah. Ryno scored 8 @ Boston. Ryno scored 10 @ Denver and 11 vs Denver. Ryno scored 19 vs Phoenix. Ryno scored 16 @ Houston and 22 vs Houston.

What do you not understand about having a cupcake part of the schedule. Many of the games Ryno missed were against weaker teams, that is the part you're not grasping. So do you think the Pelicans still lose to Utah at home when Ryan scored 28 on them at home the previous meeting? Or what about Houston at home when he scored 22 vs Houston at home the previous time. It isn't a stretch to say the Pelicans would have won the majority and possibly all of those games with a healthy Ryan Anderson.

Thread Information