Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Davis with and Without Ryno.. Is Ryno hindering AD's offensive potential?

Anthony Davis with and Without Ryno.. Is Ryno hindering AD's offensive potential?

Since Ryno's injury, a lot of success within the franchise has arrived creating a New Orleans playoff push, mainly because of the increased play by AD.

The question is if Ryno being out, has helped AD excel on offense and was ryno pulling him back when he was on the court.

Basically, if we are talking about wins, we are 11-7 without Ryno, and 7-4 with AD on the court without ryno since his knee injury.. a slight improvement, but if you take away that 4 game losing streak.. with two heart breakers.. it would be a different story..

Now looking at AD's stats. Pre Ryno Injury: 23.7ppg on 17.8 shots per game..
    Post Ryno injury: 28ppg, 11 rebounds, 3.6 assists, 4.1 blocks shooting 21 shots per game and making 11 of them..
    MY question is, with this higher winning percentage without ryno along with improved defense.. is he really that valuable on this team.. and is AD and this team better without him? I think so, don't be surprised if Rynos minutes are either limited, or we completely fall out of the race when he returns.

And please don't attack me, claiming his hard a hard few years, i agree and i feel for him but this is a business and we don't give a player the benefit of the doubt because of hardship if its going to affect a franchise

I know everyone loves Ryno but he shoots too much and kills ball movement. If he could get back to shooting wide open shots from reasonable distances, he'd help everyone out. As long as he's trying to create for himself and not making the extra pass, I'm good on him coming back. I'd prefer to see him next season
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

What is more important: AD's stats or the performance of the team when AD is on the court?

Because while AD's stats are slightly better when Ryno is not on the court, the Pelicans team has been far better, as far as Net Rtg, with AD and Ryno than they have with AD and no Ryno. And yes, I am talking about this year too.

So, if the goal is to get AD an MVP, then Ryno should be moved immediately. But if it is to win games and playoff series, then I would hold on to him unless someone gives you high quality for him
    @mcnamara247

Side note: I see people sometimes cite our record after the AS break as evidence to support a theory like this. Let me ask, does anybody really think the Pelicans have been a good to great team post AS break? Or do people believe, as I do, that they have played okay basketball and beat up on bad teams?

I mean, look at our wins post AS break. Which ones are against teams that were/are playing good basketball outside of the Memphis game? And even they have really struggled post AS break.

This team is not better without Holiday or without Anderson. They perform better (wins) when they play inferior teams than they do when they play good teams, like they were before those guys got hurt. But after Friday night, there is only one more cupcake on the schedule. The Pels can't play like they have been playing and expect to win. They simply have not been that good.

Have we normalized these stats for minutes? Because AD is also averaging 40mpg post injury.

I think AD's new found passing ability will couple well with Ryno's return. The AD / Anderson pairing works. I just wish the Anderson / Asik and Anderson / Ajinca pairings did, they're at -13.1 and -9.3 NetRtgs respectively.

I just don't think theres enough evidence to say that Jrue and Ryno make this team better chemistry wise, its too imbalanced and not enough ball movement, i mean.. our record is worse with them both on the floor, and we did lose against some very, very bad teams..

Banned
    It depends on Ryno and if he wants to be a team player. I think he is sufficiently humbled to understand he doesn't need to launch shots at will.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    It depends on Ryno and if he wants to be a team player. I think he is sufficiently humbled to understand he doesn't need to launch shots at will.
    Does anybody remember the units he was on the floor with? In a lot of ways he was forced to be the center of that unit. I didn't hear people clamoring for Rivers to get more shots. Or Jimmer. Well, some for Jimmer.

I have no doubt that with some quality players on the 2nd unit with him now, the team won't rely on him to do everything. Notice, how much more efficient he and the team are when he plays with talent. You don't see him taking those 20 foot step backs when he is on the floor with AD, Jrue, Tyreke, etc. because he doesn't have to carry that unit. Instead, he hits 3's and crashes the glass.

He can't be the #1 option on a unit, but with our roster, he should never be forced to be that.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilJFry View Post
    I think AD's new found passing ability will couple well with Ryno's return. The AD / Anderson pairing works. I just wish the Anderson / Asik and Anderson / Ajinca pairings did, they're at -13.1 and -9.3 NetRtgs respectively.
    Yep. There are some concerns with Ryno this year, and they are worth discussing. But to the thread topic, I see no evidence that RYno hurts AD, save for taking away usage. The Pels are unquestionably better with Ryno and AD on the floor than with AD and any other big man

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    Have we normalized these stats for minutes? Because AD is also averaging 40mpg post injury.
    Of course not. Here is the real data:

Davis with Ryno: 58% FG, 24.1 pts per 36, 12 rebs
    Davis WITHOUT Ryno: 52.2% FG, 24.7 pts per 36, 9.4 rebs

Pelicans with AD and Ryno: +7.8 pts per 48 mins
    Pels with AD and no Ryno: +3.5 pts per 48

Case closed?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Does anybody remember the units he was on the floor with? In a lot of ways he was forced to be the center of that unit. I didn't hear people clamoring for Rivers to get more shots. Or Jimmer. Well, some for Jimmer.

I have no doubt that with some quality players on the 2nd unit with him now, the team won't rely on him to do everything. Notice, how much more efficient he and the team are when he plays with talent. You don't see him taking those 20 foot step backs when he is on the floor with AD, Jrue, Tyreke, etc. because he doesn't have to carry that unit. Instead, he hits 3's and crashes the glass.

He can't be the #1 option on a unit, but with our roster, he should never be forced to be that.
    I don't disagree, but sometimes he takes some really bad shots at bad times. Not Reke like but enough to skew the numbers that were cited. The guy can be money like nobody in the league at times. I think he has to be smarter about when he isn't.

Well I wouldn't say we beat up on all the bad teams...I am talking about those bad loses to east bottom dwellers. I think Ryno can help the team on the court, but if we get a trade at the right price then I see him as movable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    I just don't think theres enough evidence to say that Jrue and Ryno make this team better chemistry wise, its too imbalanced and not enough ball movement, i mean.. our record is worse with them both on the floor, and we did lose against some very, very bad teams..
    This. I would love to see MM Reply for this.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    This. I would love to see MM Reply for this.
    Look above. Notice how AD and The Pels team are both much better when he plays with Ryno.

Win-Loss record is so arbitrary right now. Again, point me to two wins you are proud of since Ryno went down.

And how many really, really bad losses did we have pre All Star break with Ryno? Philly and NY. Who else wasn't playing in those games? That's right- AD and Jrue.

Remember, the premise of this thread is that Ryno hurts AD. Again, look up. AD is better with Ryno on the floor.

If we want to move the argument now that it has clearly been lost, that's fine. But we need to start off with a whole new premise backed up by facts. I will respond in kind when I have that

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    I don't disagree, but sometimes he takes some really bad shots at bad times. Not Reke like but enough to skew the numbers that were cited. The guy can be money like nobody in the league at times. I think he has to be smarter about when he isn't.
    He's a shooter. The only way to get out of a slump for a shooter is to shoot some more.

When he's on, he's a hero. When he's off, he's a scapegoat.

Ah..........the life of a shooter.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    The team will be better with Ryno. Having Cole and Qpon on the court with him will be great. I love the idea of Cole, EG, Qpon, Ryno, AD..... 4 3point shooters... That's scary. Imagine that on the court for 4-5 minutes... I like it.

Whatever happened to just being happy a guy was getting healthy...so we could trade that player?

I miss the good old days before we discussed how players meshed.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

To say we are better without Ryno is just silly. He makes this team better. especially with this current roster. He does need to get his shot selection under control and stop with the Jordan fade aways. We have a couple guys doing pretty well now tho. So, he should be able to fall back a little.

I agree tho. I'm all for trading him if we get some good value for him.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    The team will be better with Ryno. Having Cole and Qpon on the court with him will be great. I love the idea of Cole, EG, Qpon, Ryno, AD..... 4 3point shooters... That's scary. Imagine that on the court for 4-5 minutes... I like it.
    There's not a team in the NBA afraid of this line-up. Just saying

I think they have played ok basketball by beating some average teams. But I think back to the terrible losses this year that I think might cost us a playoff spot. Loosing to the Celtics twice. Loosing to the Knicks, the loss at Portland at the beginning of the year, the loss to the Spurs on New Years Eve. Its losses like that that really hurt. Still looking forward to what this team does over the next couple years with the salary cap going up.

Here's my take and i don't know if its the reality.

With ryan shooting threes he should be able to get back on D (with our guards) if he misses and the other team starts to run. but this should free up AD to crash the offensive boards and he does that run in dunk tip thing that looks so sweet.

I remember monty saying ryan isn't shy about shooting. this was when he came back the first time from injury. they really ought to find a way to control/limit his shooting. AD should have more shot attempts.

do we need ryan? I don't think so. Is AD better off without him? It could go both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    that sounds like a 2k blow out

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    Pels have lost 13 games to teams that were under .500 at the time of the contests.

Thread Information