Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Monty, Demps

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Have we learned anything from the success of others? If we bring in a head coach before a GM it will end in failure or at least won't be sustained success. This offseason is referendum on Dell, IMO. Either ownership buys his agenda or they don't. They should figure that out and then move forward. If they do, extend him, and let him make the call on Monty. I suspect, Dell would be okay with him given the teams improvement from year to year and their existing familiarity. This continuity and stability, AD, a little injury luck, and Dell making Dell moves will guarantee us a playoff spot of 4 to 8 over the next two years. At that point, with AD at the peak of his powers and a new cap just setting in, you can move on and find your "Steve Kerr" if you feel like the team is being held back from true contention.

I think we have talented players, but not the smarts to win. We win on athleticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    If one or both of them is let go, can we get a new coach/gm tournament on BSS?
    Love the idea! MM makes it happen please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post
    Love the idea! MM makes it happen please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maybe the coach, but nobody really has a clue about who would make a good GM.
    @mcnamara247

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    The Eric Gordon situation is the other BIG factor to consider... He's improved a lot and worth a 3 year deal right?

I guess I'm the only one that thinks Monty >>>> Dell.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    I guess I'm the only one that thinks Monty >>>> Dell.
    I hope so

Quote Originally Posted by daybreaker View Post
    I hope so
    What's Dell done to separate himself from Monty?

Other than signing Eric Gordon, going into the season without a backup PG, and deciding it was a good idea to not have a SF (starter or backup) on the roster

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    What's Dell done to separate himself from Monty?

Other than signing Eric Gordon, going into the season without a backup PG, and deciding it was a good idea to not have a SF (starter or backup) on the roster
    I agree. Dell, IMO, has done some questionable things. My biggest gripe is that we needed a SF/wing and he decided to get Tyreke Evans instead. I will never understand that move
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Don't see how Demps has been any better than Monty. His moves have been questionable and though he brought in young talent, it was questionable young talent. Monty hasn't really had a playoff team to coach. Is Tyreke a consistent performer? Is Gordon worth 14 million a year even with his improvement? Of course not. Jrue wasn't a consistent performer in his Philly days though he had upside and played well this season offensively before his injury. Anderson was productive at Orlando and has regressed here which is an indictment on Monty. Asik is Asik. Consistent defender, inconsistent offensively.

Either way, one hasn't separated from the other. Monty hasn't been great. Same with Demps, but they haven't been that bad either. I can understand if both are kept or let go. But I think they should be judged equally.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    I agree. Dell, IMO, has done some questionable things. My biggest gripe is that we needed a SF/wing and he decided to get Tyreke Evans instead. I will never understand that move
    Matching Gordon for the max and signing Tyreke will be his biggest question marks. Also, maybe signing Anderson when we were already about to draft a PF in Davis was questionable too though Anderson was an outstanding performer in Orlando.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    The Eric Gordon situation is the other BIG factor to consider... He's improved a lot and worth a 3 year deal right?
    Not with his current salary. No way he's worth that.

Is Eric Gordon that much better than someone like Anthony Morrow? Is he even better at all?

And Morrow makes 3 mil per year. Sure, if Gordon wants to opt out and take 3 yrs/15 mil, I will be happy to have him, but he is basically a spot up shooter who can sometimes run the P&R against bad defenses. I appreciate him giving us that as opposed to sitting on the sideline in a suit, but he is not someone I want here long term unless the price tag comes way, way down.

There is a chance Gordon gets better at driving to the basket next season and taking contact. He seems unwilling to drive because of his torn labrum.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Gordon is still playing hurt.

Never thought I'd say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    Gordon is still playing hurt.

Never thought I'd say that.
    Ikr. It is not easy playing with a heart deficiency 80 games out of 82

Quote Originally Posted by thefuture View Post
    I can't really see how giving a GM a timeline of like 1 year will result in him making "good trades"
    We've seen the opposite the past couple of years with Demps. The man's had a raw deal in many respects ... had to try and improve immediately to "appease the next owner" with the first Paul deal, then Benson flat out told him to win now so we got the Holiday and Asik moves. Demp's ability to unearth underutilized talent has been impressive; his big picture moves have been less than.

I like Demps, but I'd move on simply because the situation from his perspective has soured; he's got too much bad equity to the point where he's always going to be one disappointing season from hitting the curb, and that results in impatient, rushed moves. Williams, meanwhile, I think is a good man and likeable personality, but this is too important a time to bank on him improving. Your window is now open with Anthony Davis.

Dennis lauche (spell check) might be the guy making the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash View Post
    We've seen the opposite the past couple of years with Demps. The man's had a raw deal in many respects ... had to try and improve immediately to "appease the next owner" with the first Paul deal, then Benson flat out told him to win now so we got the Holiday and Asik moves. Demp's ability to unearth underutilized talent has been impressive; his big picture moves have been less than.

I like Demps, but I'd move on simply because the situation from his perspective has soured; he's got too much bad equity to the point where he's always going to be one disappointing season from hitting the curb, and that results in impatient, rushed moves. Williams, meanwhile, I think is a good man and likeable personality, but this is too important a time to bank on him improving. Your window is now open with Anthony Davis.
    Proof or it didn't happen

Watching Avery Johnson spew nonsense on NBA Coast to Coast on ESPN 2 and can't imagine Loomis hiring this clown as the Pelicans head coach. Could be a worse dresser than Monty?
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

76ers are 6th in the league at rim defense

Nerlens is the third most active rim defender in the league with 9.8 attempts at 44.8%, in elite company

Literally traded that + another lottery pick for Jrue Holiday

Demps can get the **** out

Quote Originally Posted by DRDJ1 View Post
    Watching Avery Johnson spew nonsense on NBA Coast to Coast on ESPN 2 and can't imagine Loomis hiring this clown as the Pelicans head coach. Could be a worse dresser than Monty?
    But he coached in an NBA Finals

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Sign him up!!!!!

Really what makes you think we definitely would have ended up with Noel? If we kept the pick we probably would/should've gone with a PG, and his name is Trey Burke. Hindsight makes you look genius huh

Quote Originally Posted by LOLLakers View Post
    76ers are 6th in the league at rim defense

Nerlens is the third most active rim defender in the league with 9.8 attempts at 44.8%, in elite company

Literally traded that + another lottery pick for Jrue Holiday

Demps can get the **** out

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I am Mike Dunleavy, Sr. and I approve this message.

Co-Signed by,

Brian Hill
    Mike Brown

Thread Information