Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Monty, Demps

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Monty, Demps

You're Loomis and You have to decide if you're going to fire Monty, Demps... What do you do and why?

Here's my take: the pelicans were relatively healthy for almost the first half of the season. During that timeframe the team record was around .500. It's unfortunate that the team has been marred with injuries but the reality is this team mortgaged it's future to win now and there's a very good chance we're missing the playoffs. Giving up Noel for Holiday, a 1st for Asik, and getting an expensive Tyreke Evans clearly shows that Demps is in a win-now mindset not a gradual rebuild. Demps made some excellent moves by getting Qpon, Cunningham, and Cole. Monty has utilized Gordon making him a major offensive weapon as the season went on. Davis has reached superstar status. Most of the players were utilized well by Monty. The team is still rather weak when AD is on the bench. How will this get resolved? The team's defense is below average; how will this get resolved? Coaching? Roster changes? Improved team chemistry? Turnovers and efficient ball movement and effective shot selection have continued to cost us games. Injuries have probably cost us games. Tyreke playing hero ball and Anderson forcing awkward shots while killing ball movement have surely hurt our chances of winning. Monty has taught his players to be sportsmanlike and he has class. He's young and has shown signs of improvement. But the reality is he can probably get the pelicans to the playoffs but I just can't see him getting the team deep into the post season. He's helped this team win against very tough competition and he's been a good mentor to his players. I really like Monty but I'd be very reluctant to keep him. I'd keep him one more year unless I could find a better more experienced coach. That may be more difficult than some of you think.

The bottom line is we want to win a championship and we definitely have a shot with AD but we need changes now. I'd fire Monty and put Demps on the hotseat. Demps will need to make this offseason a real success by adding talent and making smart trades. Ryno, Gordon, Reke, and Jrue should all be trade pieces. I would only trade Jrue if we find an exceptional deal. This team has to add talent and keep it's depth. This can be accomplished. Give Demps one more year to make the final touches to this roster. It makes more sense to let Monty go and hire a new coach and reshape this roster.

I can't really see how giving a GM a timeline of like 1 year will result in him making "good trades"

Quote Originally Posted by thefuture View Post
    I can't really see how giving a GM a timeline of like 1 year will result in him making "good trades"
    Agree, especially when there is going to be such a major change with the cap next summer. Either you give him long term security or you move on this summer.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by thefuture View Post
    Agreed. Of course there would be a natural buffer against too much riverboat gambling if Demps has the desire to GM ever again. But the fear of losing his job will no doubt push him to take short term risks he probably otherwise wouldn't have.

And you have to imagine Loomis and Co. are aware of that pitfall.

I'm with MM. Either back them up or get rid of them in the offseason.

Honestly Dell has not been bad. Whether you question his moves or not, he has completely reshaped this team. And that is his job afterall.

I believe we have a talented team. Very talented actually. So that would be a plus for Demps. Now, does the talent mesh well? Do the parts line up? Some will question that. This could be a negative on Dell. He has certainly made mistakes, but he has had some nice moves as well. We have talent, our future is not mortgaged, and he seems to be learning and improving every year. He has been hamstrung by a coach he did not hire, I believe his seat should not be THAT hot.

For Monty, I'm amazed that there is even a discussion. This is his first time ever has a HEAD coach, and it has been a 5 year failure. It blows my mind that he is still here. Injuries be damned, they are a part of the game. And guess what, as injured as we have been, amazingly there are teams that have had it worse than us. It is hard to see that through our bias but some research will show you it is true.

Regardless of if Monty has had a lack of talent, freak injuries, injuries caused directly/indirectly my Monty's coaching style, no time to gel, or whatever "excuse of the month" is floating out there, he has had 5 years to get some results, and he has not.

Do you guys realize that in the NBA ------ MORE TEAMS MAKE THE PLAYOFFS THEN MISS THEM?????? Do people not realize that? Yes the west is tougher, but we are in the West and will be for the foreseeable future, why cry over something that cannot be changed? Deal with it. Plus, the East is actually much better than perceived this year (check the conference records) and these things are cyclical anyways. Sooner or later the East will be the Beast, and the West will be the weaker conference.

I believe the George Karl mid-season switch will work out for the Kings, and it should have been us. The kings tanked for the first 10 games as both coach and players were making adjustments, but now they are playing better. They already have a higher winning percentage with Karl as the head coach. Plus now he knows the players better, and can make more informed decisions this offseason. I believe if we do not replace Monty the Kings will be better than us next year. I really hope I don't even get the opportunity to place this wager, but we shall see.

Who will raise their hand and state that 'In an "injury-free" season, I can see Monty holding up the Larry O'Brien???" I'm asking because I truly want to know. Do people actually BELIEVE that Monty Williams will win us a championship? Or are they simply scared of the unknown?
    Last edited by Bongzilla; 03-27-2015 at 09:31 AM.

I think if Loomis(or whoever is calling the shots above Dell and Monty) want to make that case that they need to go another direction they have all the ammunition they need. Neither has provided any "wow" moves that make you jump up and say these guys are the real deal! We can build a dynasty around these guys. We have found or Buford or Riley!

On the other hand there is enough positives about both of them that if Loomis doesnt have an itchy trigger finger he can make a case that they should be retained.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 03-27-2015 at 09:51 AM.

Not a Demps fan, but this isn't exactly a fair "breakdown". From what I've gathered it was ownership that wanted to expedite the rebuild. Dell IMO clearly agreed to do so and as a result is still responsible for the outcome.

The worse place a franchise can have instability in at the management level. So like it's been said either back Demps fully or let him walk. Personally I'm not impressed with the roster as it stands therefore if I was tasked with the decision I'd do the latter.

They have made some WOW! moves

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I think if Loomis(or whoever is calling the shots above Dell and Monty) want to make that case that they need to go another direction they have all the ammunition they need. Neither has provided any "wow" moves that make you jump up and say these guys are the real deal! We can build a dynasty around these guys. We have found or Buford or Riley!

On the other hand there is enough positives about both of them that if Loomis doesnt have an itchy trigger finger he can make a case that they should be retained.
    In the other direction of course. Only two first round picks made in the last 4 years with one being a bust and possible none this this year with no playoff appearances is all I would need to make changes. Other GMs and coaches have been canned for much less (ie.. Mark Jackson, Lionel Hollins with Memplis). Unless people are satisfied with a team with little chemistry, a coach that makes no in game adjustments and a GM that trades away all our picks for high dollar players then keep them both... I wouldn't.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Dell hasn't brought us a blockbuster deal, but how many GMs have?
    (Example: Lebron goes where Lebron wants. All a GM can do is shove money in his face.)
    It is a superstar league.

What has impressed me though, is his ability to make small deals and turn nothing into something.

Ultimately playing with non-ball dominant superstar (Brow) & team fit will be the deciding factor on free agents signing with us so,
    won't we need a GM that can make great under the radar deals and turn nothing into something? (ie: fill in the team with great pieces)

Yes, he has given away draft picks for young talent. Who's to say the draft picks would've panned out? Why not go for proven talent?
    If they do pan out, wouldn't you be facing a cap situation? (OKC/Harden)

I say give him the keys and run with it. The team he's put together is full of young talent, injury luck be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    Dell hasn't brought us a blockbuster deal, but how many GMs have?
    (Example: Lebron goes where Lebron wants. All a GM can do is shove money in his face.)
    It is a superstar league.

What has impressed me though, is his ability to make small deals and turn nothing into something.

Ultimately playing with non-ball dominant superstar (Brow) & team fit will be the deciding factor on free agents signing with us so,
    won't we need a GM that can make great under the radar deals and turn nothing into something? (ie: fill in the team with great pieces)

Yes, he has given away draft picks for young talent. Who's to say the draft picks would've panned out? Why not go for proven talent?
    If they do pan out, wouldn't you be facing a cap situation?
    (OKC/Harden)

I say give him the keys and run with it. The team he's put together is full of young talent, injury luck be damned.
    I think the question people that make this argument don't ever ask themselves is the question of whether players at the caliber of a Jrue Holliday, Omer Asik and Tyreke Evans couldn't of been had any other way or at any other time then by giving up what would of amounted to early lottery picks either directly or indirectly?

I think this season shows, as do most seasons, that those deals for young above average talent with potential are pretty regular every season. However, getting a top lottery pick AFTER you hit a homerun on your first at-bat in the rebuilding process isn't.

Few teams in the last several decades have had the luxury we did to hit a homerun on our first lottery and have the chance to get 1-2 more top 5ish picks before that superstar you found drags whatever team you give him to the playoffs every year.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 03-27-2015 at 10:39 AM.

Personally I really hope we stick with Demps, he seems to have the connections and the ability to get deals done and the eye to find talent. Some of his decision seem to be rushed but from all that has been said, rushing the team's progress seems to come from people higher up than him

Monty on the other hand, seems like a really great guy and all but I am not convinced he should be the one calling the shots
    Last edited by thefuture; 03-27-2015 at 11:12 AM.

i'd like to stick with demps and move on from monty.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	del-monte-foods_416x416.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	5913

lmao!

Bravo!

Lol!

Nice thread, new member permissions follow this thread

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I think we need to give Demps another year or 2 to make final touches to this roster. He has done a good job but this stage is critical for the team to become contenders. I'm find with Demps but the pressure is real.

If you keep Demps, you are essentially limiting your pool of potential coaches.

Not saying that you can't find one that fits perfectly with Dell, but it does make the pool smaller. Just something you have to be conscious of.

I would make a strong push for Thibs and get a GM he wants in here.

I wonder how many posts with this premise we've had on here in the last 3 months. We should just have a new one daily.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    I wonder how many posts with this premise we've had on here in the last 3 months. We should just have a new one daily.
    We should have our answer on them by the end of the month. Just have to tolerate them until then

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    We should have our answer on them by the end of the month. Just have to tolerate them until then
    If one or both of them is let go, can we get a new coach/gm tournament on BSS?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I would definitely move on from Monty. If we are enthused with a coach who doesn't want Dell, then go for that. But ideally I'd like to keep Dell.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    If you keep Demps, you are essentially limiting your pool of potential coaches.

Not saying that you can't find one that fits perfectly with Dell, but it does make the pool smaller. Just something you have to be conscious of.
    I'm curious as to why keeping Dell would limit pool of potential coaches.

Thread Information