Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: NBA Coaches Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by djrnno View Post
    MM , I so respect your opinion bud, but a coach in any sport cannot live in fear of pulling a player out that goes against what he's doing. No matter how poor the player is behind him. A precedent must be set that I don't care who you are you don't run the plays or get onboard with the game plan you're on the bench. Maybe if you are in the finals you hesitate to pull him. You do this to let EVERYONE know , I'm in charge. EVERY great coach is that way . Do you think that if repeatedly Brees or Brady ran a different play or threw INTs because they forced what they wanted to do that Payton Or Belichick or any other great coach would not sit them down ? As far as it on Dell if Evan can't change, Is there a coach worth his salt that doesn't think he can't take a player with talent and maybe a flaw or two and coach them up ? I know it's just a movie but in Hoosiers is down to 5 players and one of them just disregards what he wants done Hackmen benches him and plays with 4. A good coach HAS to have control of his team , no matter what
    I don't think he has fear as much as it is a cost benefit analysis.

What do I gain from punishing Tyreke? His answer may be: He thinks before the next time he does something stupid. But just the next time

What do I lose? Answer: A huge downgrade in overall talent.

Like I said, if Monty thought he could change Tyreke, I think he would sacrifice a few games for the long run. But I think it is kind of naive to think you are ever changing that guy. But again, that is my personal opinion. Hopefully he proves me wrong. But I doubt it. I think he is who he is, and that guy can be a major piece on a really good team as a pace changer off the bench.
    @mcnamara247

I get that my friend , And there may be no rewiring of Evans , I do agree he has talent and could be a player of value coming off the bench . But sitting him when he does really dumb selfish things no matter what send a msg to the WHOLE team . That if you're not on the bus , you're on the bench. When other players see what Evans does and Monty does not do anything drastic , why should they worry about retribution ? Let me ask you this , What do you think Popovitch or Pat Riley would have done with Tyreke ? And my other question to you , and remember i value your opinion very much , Do you think Monty is a coach that can get us to the 7th game of the finals without a team loaded with allstars ? And if not why should we settle for him another yr when we have THE best young player to come along in 5 or 10 yrs

1st - I don't think it is fair to keep bringing up Pop and Riley and guys like that. No, Monty is not that, and we can not get anybody on that level. That's like criticizing Tyreke for not doing what Lebron can do.

2nd - No, I do not think it is likely that Monty can lead a team to a title.

3rd - I personally would not settle for him. I would go get someone else this summer. But if Monty is back, I will not whine and complain for the sake of it and only point out the bad. I will be balanced in my judgement of him, which I think is more good than bad. He is just not top notch and he likely never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bongzilla View Post
    The irony of this post is that you, in fact, are FOLLOWING the bell call of contrarians or anti-conformists on this topic. Your last sentence is a double edge sword im afraid.

I find it hard to believe that anyone can actually look at the product on the court, and come to the conclusion that it is good enough. Unless of course you are letting forum group think get between your ears......

aka -- lemmings.

Well you missed the point. Whether you are for or against Monty, or you think he does some things well and some things ****, you are entitled to your opinion and shouldn't be told to "face reality" because the majority thinks a certain way. If you can't convince people and then resort to attacking them, perhaps your argument is flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I don't think he has fear as much as it is a cost benefit analysis.

What do I gain from punishing Tyreke? His answer may be: He thinks before the next time he does something stupid. But just the next time

What do I lose? Answer: A huge downgrade in overall talent.

Like I said, if Monty thought he could change Tyreke, I think he would sacrifice a few games for the long run. But I think it is kind of naive to think you are ever changing that guy. But again, that is my personal opinion. Hopefully he proves me wrong. But I doubt it. I think he is who he is, and that guy can be a major piece on a really good team as a pace changer off the bench.
    If you look at it from a pure talent in versus talent out standpoint, then you are right, there is a downgrade in talent.

However, by taking a stand you do two things:

1) You remind everyone that you are the boss. It is your way or the highway. You coach them up(change) or you coach them out. Human beings won't admit this, but we crave structure. This will gain Monty respect. Having a clear cut leader, who is pushing 1 agenda, in 1 direction, will unite the team towards the common goal. Those who do not fit or will not comply get moved. Every entity from the military to a fortune 500 run this way, and there is a reason for it. It works. Pro sports are no different conceptually, yes you can't just fire players, but you can get their attention other ways. AND -- you don't have to treat them PC at all. (This must be fun.)

2) Check the ego's at the door. Pro sports are different from the business world in that you are dealing with REAL ALPHA MALES, like every player. Varying degrees I will give you, but to make it too that level you simply must be an Alpha Male. Much like gorillas in the mist, there can only be one gorilla leader. And this has to be the coach. If the coach is not the unquestioned leader, the wheels fall off. If the player's do not fully "buy in" then you may see hero ball in the 4th. You may see players take it upon themselves. Why? Either consciously or subconsciously they must not fully trust the coach's system or playcalling. Taking a stand eliminates this action, because guess what -- nobody likes repercussions. Imagine how quickly someone would be yanked and then chastised if they disregarded Pops playcall? Look what Carlisle did to Rondo? <-- perfect example of my point. Rondo thought he was above the playcalling.

Would have loved to see Monty handle the situation in a similar fashion.
    Last edited by Bongzilla; 03-28-2015 at 08:08 AM.

Spoelstra is very overrated . He isn't a bad coach but he got that job because of his relationship with pat riley . They lost 2 rings because of him . And they didn't get the 2 other rings because of him .

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    1st - I don't think it is fair to keep bringing up Pop and Riley and guys like that. No, Monty is not that, and we can not get anybody on that level. That's like criticizing Tyreke for not doing what Lebron can do.

2nd - No, I do not think it is likely that Monty can lead a team to a title.

3rd - I personally would not settle for him. I would go get someone else this summer. But if Monty is back, I will not whine and complain for the sake of it and only point out the bad. I will be balanced in my judgement of him, which I think is more good than bad. He is just not top notch and he likely never will be.
    OK , lets take Pop and Riley out of it . I'm sure you could name 5-8 coaches that either we could get or are available that would do a better job than Monty . I'm not talking X's and O's , I won't pretend to be that knowledgeable on the insides of the game. But I do know some of what it takes to be a good manager of players . I don't believe you have to be a yelling screaming coach to be effective , it does work for some but there are some successful ones that are not very outspoken. But either way you do it a good HC in any sport must demand and get discipline, and have all of his players on the same page. Monty doesn't seem to be that type of HC . Monty like Tyreke is probably not gonna change , with Tyreke you can have him come off the bench play 20 mins or so and maximize his talent , and if he goes hero/dumb mode pull him out . Monty is just gonna be Monty and there's only one thing you can do. None of us have a say in who the coach is . If he is is back, complaining will do nothing , neither will defending him . This team has talent , the best young player in the league and with a couple moves and a good , may not even need a great HC can push for a championship. I'm like the Andy Dufresne , " Get busy living , or get busy dying "

If there were 5-8 guys available who were guaranteed to be better than Monty, he would have been fired by now.

Head coaches are a crap shoot. Name any guy you think we can get and I can throw out a handful of cons backed up by facts as a case why it won't work.

There are no guarantees out there.

Guarantee ?? there are no guarantees in life bud. Especially not in sports. Nor am I asking for one. I am of the opinion that it's highly unlikely that Monty will progress enough to really gain the control of this team that I feel is needed to make it to the finals, not even taking into consideration the X's and O's of basketball. You have already said that you don't think it's likely that Monty can lead us to a championship. You can find flaws in almost every coach in every sport , so no matter what name I say you and I and lot's of people can find a flaw or a reason to doubt if they can lead us to a championship. It's about having the most potential to lead us there. You must believe that there are a few coaches that we can get that have more potential to take this team to the finals , because if you didn't you would not have said you would replace Monty . Who do you think that we could get has more potential to get us to the finals ? I don't have indepth knowledge of the coaches we could get. I do know what I see in Monty being able to control his players and I don't see much potential in that

Quote Originally Posted by moon54 View Post
    Spoelstra is very overrated . He isn't a bad coach but he got that job because of his relationship with pat riley . They lost 2 rings because of him . And they didn't get the 2 other rings because of him .
    I agree. He taught Lebron James a lesson in the process, that lesson is, never let your coach get in the way of you winning. I think Lebron was burned by those two title losses, and he realized that it was him, Wade, and Bosh moving the meter than Spoelstra. Now, Lebron will go over Blatt (on the court), if he thinks it's in the teams best interest. The coach is probably wanting him to pass to the open Love, but James will hit someone else because he doesn't trust Love.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Thread Information