Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NBA Coaches Rankings

NBA Coaches Rankings

They seem spot on.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12...gs-top-coaches

Monty isn't the worst, but there are a lot better doing what he does.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Rookie
    Melvin Hunt should certainly be higher than Monty Williams.

I think Monty is a great guy and a very good ast coach . I just don't think he a HC that can even make it to the finals unless the talent and BBIQ of his team is overwhelmingly good. Yeah I know we've had awful luck as far as injuries go , but look at the way whoever is on the court plays , they lose focus , play stupid at times and extremely inconsistent . that's on the HC WE have the one player that EVERY GM in the league would pick to start a championship team in AD. It's a travesty and a shame that we don't have a HC that is even half as good as his star player. Even if that ranking is just a lil off ,Monty is still gonna be in the bottom 3rd of the league . Doesn't AD deserve better ?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    How much longer are we going to be ok with a coach that falls in the bottom quarter of the league. Why is this ok?

Can't really argue with those rankings too much.

I would argue a bit with their front office rankings though. I think they had some teams higher then us that I am not sure deserve it. Like the Suns? How do they get that ranking when they have managed to screw up their roster so badly this year?

Spoelstra at 6 is pretty bad

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    How much longer are we going to be ok with a coach that falls in the bottom quarter of the league. Why is this ok?
    In the bottom quarter of the league according to what or who?

Curious to me how ESPN sources rank the Pelicans team, GM and coach anywhere from 22-24. In regards to coaching to rank Rivers, Stevens, Vogel, Jeerer, Kidd, Karl, Van Gundy, Snyder. Brooks, Clifford, Brown and Hollins above Monty is ludicrous. I would rank him between 12 and 16.
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

Hollins built the Grizzlies into what they are. Bad year in Brooklyn but Monty has a ways to go to be considered better than him

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Some anonymous espn team with no criteria or accountability. Suspect rankings based on readership
    Last edited by DRDJ1; 03-26-2015 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    Hollins built the Grizzlies into what they are. Bad year in Brooklyn but Monty has a ways to go to be considered better than him
    I respect your opinion but disagree. Not impressed with Grizzles then or now
    Last edited by DRDJ1; 03-26-2015 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDJ1 View Post
    Curious to me how ESPN sources rank the Pelicans team, GM and coach anywhere from 22-24. In regards to coaching to rank Rivers, Stevens, Vogel, Jeerer, Kidd, Karl, Van Gundy, Snyder. Brooks, Clifford, Brown and Hollins above Monty is ludicrous. I would rank him between 12 and 16.
    Based on what? His career winning percentage? His career accolades?

He certainly belongs where he is at, if not lower. Nothing....ludicrous..... to see here.

Omg enough is enough! Jesus Christ. Once Monty is fired in the off season I'll wait and see how many people will agree he deserved to get axed. All this witty crap is old. Dude time is up. Let's stop beating around the bush. Its a miracle he lasted this long in the NBA as a HC
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

By the way Lucky man I'm aware ur anti Monty , I'm just ranting about others who play the witty card of not a acknowledging reality. If we were another team fans and we look at the Pels we would agree its crazy how long Month has lasted. I wish the best on his future endeavors but man its not working here.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    By the way Lucky man I'm aware ur anti Monty , I'm just ranting about others who play the witty card of not a acknowledging reality. If we were another team fans and we look at the Pels we would agree its crazy how long Month has lasted. I wish the best on his future endeavors but man its not working here.
    So because people feel differently to you about our head coach, it's because they are trying to be witty? Right. To validate this, let's see what other teams fans think? The ones who have never watched a Pelicans game up until this year? HURR DURR MOAR PEOPLE THINK MONTY IS ****, ESPN AGREES, MAJORITY RULES STOP THINKING FOR YOURSELF AND JOIN US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    So because people feel differently to you about our head coach, it's because they are trying to be witty? Right. To validate this, let's see what other teams fans think? The ones who have never watched a Pelicans game up until this year? HURR DURR MOAR PEOPLE THINK MONTY IS ****, ESPN AGREES, MAJORITY RULES STOP THINKING FOR YOURSELF AND JOIN US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US!
    Don't ever stop posting. Thanks for using logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Don't ever stop posting. Thanks for using logic.
    Logic would tell you that having the same head coach for 5 seasons with a winning percentage of about .420 is not going to get it done.

But hey, lets hold our breath and watch that magical improvement in YEAR 6

Whats the definition of insanity again? Some of you are living it....

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    The irony of this post is that you, in fact, are FOLLOWING the bell call of contrarians or anti-conformists on this topic. Your last sentence is a double edge sword im afraid.

I find it hard to believe that anyone can actually look at the product on the court, and come to the conclusion that it is good enough. Unless of course you are letting forum group think get between your ears......

aka -- lemmings.
    Last edited by Bongzilla; 03-27-2015 at 09:03 AM.

One more year

One more year

One more year

Let us give Monty one more year. He almost got this

::sigh:: Just waiting for my phone to ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    I've got my gripes about him but I am not anti Monty. I still think he would make a better assistant because the plays he and his staff designs have shown flashes of brilliance, but I don't know if he has what it takes to instill discipline and I question his motivational skills. However, I personally would not rank him that low. WE should know better the rebuilding/injury circumstances the majority of his years here have been under.

All I am saying is don't take these "rankings" as solid. It would be no better than taking rankings from a panel of people who post on this board.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    I've got my gripes about him but I am not anti Monty. I still think he would make a better assistant because the plays he and his staff designs have shown flashes of brilliance, but I don't know if he has what it takes to instill discipline and I question his motivational skills. However, I personally would not rank him that low. WE should know better the rebuilding/injury circumstances the majority of his years here have been under.

All I am saying is don't take these "rankings" as solid. It would be no better than taking rankings from a panel of people who post on this board.
    This.

Also, here is their defense of the "process" of their "predictions".

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/...forecast-works

sounds like a load of hooey to me.

Once again , Monty is a great guy and a very fine ast coach. He does not seem to manage his players well in game. He is not good at getting them ( mostly Evans ) to carry out what he wants. While a lot of the times the spots hangover show annoys me , all the stupid stuff they say , sometimes they make a good point . Dino made a point of in the 3rd of the Houston game we were starting to make a bit of a run and Evans was doing his dribble dribble , dance dance thing and having no court awareness , He got bailed out because of a foul , but right after that AD went over to him and was saying " What are you doing ?? " " Why didn't you run the play?" AD did not touch the ball until there was 6:30 left in the 3rd quarter . that is INEXCUSABLE . Dino went on to say that if Pop or any other good coach was on the bench , the first time a player or players did not run the play that was called , they would have been pulled off the court and chewed out . Monty seems to have little control over his players. After the game AD , hurt shoulder and all was out on the court shooting FT's How can we do a disservice to this young dedicated allstar by giving him a coach that can't seem to control the rest of his players . Somebody please justify to me that we keep a coach that will never take us to the finals unless he has a team full of healthy allstars that have a high BBIQ and can coach themselves

IMO, if Monty has a full roster, he pulls Tyreke more and chews him out. I mean, he did that a ton last year. There are plenty of games where Reke played under 25 mins before Jrue got hurt last year.

But you can't threaten a guy and teach him a lesson when you only have Jimmer or Norris Cole to put in ahead of him.

And there is also the other factor - this assumption that Tyreke can change. I personally don't think he can. Not long term. I think Monty has accepted that and lives with the bad, because his good minus his bad is still way better than you are gonna get overall from Jimmer and the like.

And if Tyreke can't change (my hypothesis), then isn't that more on Dell than Monty?
    @mcnamara247

MM , I so respect your opinion bud, but a coach in any sport cannot live in fear of pulling a player out that goes against what he's doing. No matter how poor the player is behind him. A precedent must be set that I don't care who you are you don't run the plays or get onboard with the game plan you're on the bench. Maybe if you are in the finals you hesitate to pull him. You do this to let EVERYONE know , I'm in charge. EVERY great coach is that way . Do you think that if repeatedly Brees or Brady ran a different play or threw INTs because they forced what they wanted to do that Payton Or Belichick or any other great coach would not sit them down ? As far as it on Dell if Evan can't change, Is there a coach worth his salt that doesn't think he can't take a player with talent and maybe a flaw or two and coach them up ? I know it's just a movie but in Hoosiers is down to 5 players and one of them just disregards what he wants done Hackmen benches him and plays with 4. A good coach HAS to have control of his team , no matter what

Thread Information